Guest viewing is limited

TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

Hope you're doing better today, Christine. I ended up not going to my party, either. I'm sure your niece will understand. At this point in our recovery, it's quite common to have good days and bad days, as you well know.
 
Thanks @SarahJane I was glad that I hadn't gone. I would have been miserable. I had physio today and did 12 minutes walking in the anti gravity treadmill. My knee is very stiff and sore though. I am having a BoneSmart afternoon. Were you sad at missing the party?
 
Sorry you missed your party. It's so strange to feel so "insecure" about simple things... But we all must "obey" the knee!
 
It truly is a day by day journey we're on, isn't it? Are you particularly close to your niece? Maybe you and your DH could host a smaller, intimate get-together for them at your house when you're feeling better.
 
That is exactly what we are doing. It is a complicated family relationship. She is my brother's adopted daughter and my ex sister in law's niece but I have known her since she was 18 months old and she is now 31. She understood and wants to have a get together soon.
 
Non physio day so bonesmarting day. My PT wants me to start in the pool on Friday doing water walking. I want to but my wound isn't full healed. There is one little scab left about 1/4 of an inch long. I need to ask the OS if I can go in. Unfortunately the pool session is at 7:30 am. I don't do mornings. Even when I was going to work I didn't get up until 8. The things I will need to do to rehab this knee!
 
I'm anxiously waiting till I can go in the Water too! We have a pool so luckily I can do therapy anytime, but I am waiting for my scar to full heal. How long did your OS tell you to wait from staple removed? Mine said wait a week (which will be Thursday) but I am not sure if that is the norm?
 
He told me to wait until the 6 week follow up appointment then if the scar had healed he would let me go in the pool.
 
Oh wow!! 6 weeks? Mine said ok starting 1 week after staples removed... Maybe I will wait another week to be on safe side...
 
I think it is standard advice to wait until the wound is completely healed. It makes sense because the last thing we want to deal with is an infection. I'd say that if you are healed then you can swim. Oh and I am jealous of your pool @Poz222!!
 
Yes, your right, I will wait till it is all healed up... No sense bringing on trouble.. An in south Florida it's kinda strange to not backyard pool (they're like basements up north, pretty much everybody has one)! A nice sparkling blue pool makes us forget it is the temparature of the surface of the sun outside)! :swim:
 
I think I may have found a pain that rivals knee replacement. I'm not talking about childbirth. I have not had any children so that is not a comparison I can use. I'm talking about the combination of hemerrhoids and constipation. Yes folks, I have experienced the horror and lived to tell the tale, but only just! If you have a weak constitution you should turn off now. My butt has been ripped apart from the inside out and now that everything is loose I am having to go through the horrid after effects every half hour. I have cried, I have screamed, I have brought my hubbie running from the other end of the house thinking that I have fallen and expecting to see me lying on the floor with a kneecap in my hand, but no, he just saw me sitting on the toilet,flush faced and biting the toilet roll holder! I'm hoping it calms down soon. The hottest curry on the planet would not be as bad as this. Does the Cryo cuff have an butt pad?
 
Sounds very, very, very uncomfortable. Very very very very very much so since you compare it to the pain of a knee replacement.


I am not a doctor. I am not your doctor. I have never had hemorrhoids, so I don't even have any anecdotal personal insights into them. I'm providing these links as a courtesy, since your discomfort may make sitting and doing your own internet searches too taxing. Please seek medical advice from your own health advisers or providers before following through on any of these articles, websites or links.

WebMD seems to have a fairly comprehensive article including suggested home remedies and when to seek medical consultation. https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/hemorrhoids-topic-overview
Medscape's recommendations for conservative treatment include warm baths, or sitz (sp?) baths for people unable to get in and out of tubs. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/775407-treatment#d10 The US gov. National Institutes of Health has this information on its website. broken link removed: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/hemorrhoids/Pages/facts.aspx. Health Canada may also have some information and resources on its website.

Again, I am not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV. I just don't like hearing you're in so much discomfort. Hope this clears up soon!
 
Thank you @SarahJane I am going to the pharmacy to get some cream that was recommended by a doctor. I had a colonoscopy last year and that's when they told me I had them but this is the first time I've been so constipated to cause any problems. It is very uncomfortable.
 
Oh you poor thing, that sounds awful! Having suffered the very same issues as you (an extra gift my son gave me during pregnancy) I can give you a couple of pointers. What are you taking for constipation? Most likely it is not enough. Laxatives work differently for different people so you have to find what works for you and then tweak it so that you don't have pain. I personally use 1 senna s in the morning and 1 colace at night. I have Miralax as a back up. And you have to drink lots of water. Also there are creams that are ok but I found these awesome wipes that provide instant comfort from the pain and burning Preparation H makes them but I just buy the generic store brand. You can actually use a cold ice compress to the area as well but only for a short time. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
 
I am taking two Senokot tablets at bed time and one 17g dose of Restoralax per day. It was working fine until the weekend when for some reason it didn't work. I am going to get the wipes. My sister in law is a doctor and I just had a text conversation with her. She recommended Tuck medicated pads and Anusol cream. Off to the pharmacy I go because I do not want to go through that again.
 
So if you have a day when your bowel regimen is not working and you don't 'go' add a extra dose of senokot or restoralax to get you back on track.
 
Forgive me for being indelicate, but what are you doing about your intake? Enough hydration? Enough fiber? Metamucil? Beneficial? (sp?) Blackstrap Molasses? Bran Muffins? Prunes, Prunes, Prunes? Hope you get relief soon, my friend.
 
Back
Top Bottom