TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

I had to wait a couple extra days due to my scheduling issues (my husband had a cardiology appointment 150 miles away on my 2 week anniversary, so he couldn't take me in). I got mine out at 17 days, and it wasn't a problem. 19 days should be fine. They might pinch a little more, but for me, getting the staples out was nearly the most painful part of the process. I say that in jest, because it wasn't that bad (the rest of the process has been that good).
 
Two weeks is usual. That was the time frame for my TKR surgery, but after my infection surgery there were so many staples they took half out at week 2 and the other half week 3. But the OS doesn't usually remove the staples. Each time a nurse removed them.
 
I was told that my OS wants to see me when I get them out and hence the delay. I very much doubt that he will be removing them.
 
Found a new position for sleeping last night that seems to have worked as I got 6 hours. I was lying on my right side with a pillow between my knees and another pillow between my ankles. I suppose one body pillow would have worked the same but I don't have one. The pain wasn't so bad and only woke me up twice.
 
Off Dilaudid and on to Percocet. I had some left over from last year when my back was causing problems. So far everything is ok. They are taking the edge off my pain without taking the edge off my ability to reason. I need to start being more active. 17 days of being a lump are getting to me. I see that lots of people who had surgery at or near the date of mine are getting out and about and I'm still stuck at home. My first trip out will be on Minday when I get the staples removed.
 
Glad you were able to step down to Percocet, you will start being a little more active over time. Don't compare yourself to other people who are already getting out, everyone is different. You will be glad the staples are out, after they are out, ahhhhh.
 
Woo hoo! The staple outing!
 
It stung a little. I don't think it requires a special medication just for that. Follow your routine medication schedule, and all should be well.
 
PT came this morning. Numbers are on track according to him - 92 and 0. He wants me to try to balance on my bad leg. Yeah, that's not happening. My back problems cause extreme weakness of my left leg and even without the TKR I had difficulty balancing. I will try but I'm not hopeful. I understand that it is important for walking that I feel I can support myself on the bad leg but there is more going on than my knee. He didn't push me, just asked me to keep trying. I am now mere hours away from staple removal time. Yay!!
 
I had to support myself with my fingers (at the least) for my balancing efforts. On a solid surface, I was doing pretty well, then they upgraded me to an upside down half exercise ball thing, and I never got better than about 5-10 seconds on that during a three minute exercise. But it sure worked all my supporting leg muscles in a way nothing else ever did (it didn't hurt, either). I had more trouble on my non-operative leg, and I attributed it to my orthotics not allowing my foot to help in the process.
 
First time out in two weeks was exhausting and all I did was sit in the car then sit in the hospital waiting room for over an hour. Got the staples out. Some of them were in really deep and it hurt. I have steristrips over part of the wound and it was bleeding quite a bit. Now back in bed icing, resting and elevating. My OS thinks I'm doing really well. He wanted me to be at this stage with flexion and extension after 6 weeks so I'm 3 weeks ahead.
 
Isn't it odd how just going out if the house is so exhausting? It never ceased to amaze me.
 
@KarriB I was all set for it to be so easy and told my husband that I'd be fine. No need to take my pain killers with me, no need to worry about fatigue. Well I was so wrong. it was indeed very odd.
 
I was still just going to PT and Drs.appt. when I had to have a second surgery for an infection in my knee at the 4 week mark. The energy drain started all over again x10 due to fighting an infection. So I started all over and only left the house to see Drs. for over a month. So I totally get it!
 
Good report. You are so right that it is surprising how just going to an appointment like that knocks you out--but it is normal.
 
This journey is certainly interesting. I have numbness on the left side of my scar. It is so weird that I can feel the right side of it but not the left. I still have an ache at the back of my knee
 
Back
Top Bottom