TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

For me, the ache at the back of the coincided with where the hamstrings attached. As I got them stretched, the pain disappeared (and my extension improved).


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Had my last in home Physio and he got me walking up and down the stairs to the basement. A whole new world has been opened to me, one which unfortunately includes doing laundry. I thought I could get away with at least another two weeks of not having to do it. Oh well, shows that I am getting better. Now able to ditch the crutch in favour of my cane.
 
Don't try to carry laundry down or up those stairs, please. Put it in the machine by all means, but you still need a helper to carry it up and down.
 
Oh don't worry, I will need both hands just to get myself down. My hubby has been doing everything around here and now I can do some things myself.
 
My hubby doesn't mind carrying laundry downstairs. Thankfully. I usually have to ask him if I want him to carry it back up.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I still need the the railing for going up and down the steps. Hubby yelled at me for creatively :) trying to get the laundry basket up and down the steps. I can take care of all of it but moving it from down to up or vice versa. :)
 
Day 21 of my captivity began with my jailer bringing me a bowl of cereal. It was pleasant but I would much rather have had a bacon and egg McMuffin. I don't think McDonalds will deliver to my place of captivity. I can see the light outside and the hear the sound of traffic going by but no one knows I am locked in this rather comfortable cell. This day will be spent like every other day. Icing, elevating, resting, taking meds and watching Netflix. The only contact with the outside world is through this community of fellow captives. We share tales of our captivity and offer advice on how to cope because we are all in this together. We long for the time when we will be released to walk, run or dance in the sunlight, knee pain permitting!

Seriously folks, cabin fever is setting in. Thank goodness I'm going out to get my hair cut tomorrow!! Happy Friday!
 
Thank you for the laugh!!!!!!! What a great post!! Take full advantage of time out for your haircut.
 
Oh, yes. The comfortable but isolating prison. This site really saved me during those sleepless first 3 weeks. In the middle of the night I saw I had lots of company, whether fellow insomniacs or fellow bonesmarties on the other side of the world. We are here for you. Let us know if we need to smuggle a file in a cake. Or in a Mcmuffin.
 
Went out this morning and got my hair cut. I love the salon, the people are so kind. I was given a step stool and rolled up towel to rest my leg on and I felt very pampered. It was hard though and I'm back home icing and elevating my knee. It feels very stiff and sore today. I can still bend it but it feels very tight. I think I will invest in a Cryo cuff. I am sleeping better which is amazing. I wish I could ditch the Percocet but it's maybe a bit too early for that.
 
Had a case of the blues tonight. I seem to be scared of everything just now. Scared of falling mostly. It may have something to do with the fact that I am heading out tomorrow for the first time on my own. I'm taking a cab to physio but my husband can't come with me. I keep thinking about what would happen if I fell. I am still quite unsteady on my feet. Thought I'd be able to cope with this but it's hard.
 
Fear of falling is very common after replacements. It is still my #1 fear (2 thr and 1 revision and now a knee) so it is natural. I think it is ok to have a little fear as it always keeps you aware of your footing and placement and such. But don't let it overwhelm you, just use it as a gut guide to avoid situations that might cause a fall. You will be ok!
 
Thank you @Poz222 feeling a bit better about my outing today. Actually looking forward to getting out of the house even if it just a trip to physio.
 
Just back from physio. I don't drive so I had to take a cab. I know most of the drivers so that bit was ok. My PT is going to push me but he said I'm in charge. When I say stop, we stop. I am missing about 5 degrees of extension and flexion was 95 which he said was good, not great but good. I will be using a low gravity treadmill on Wednesday because he said I need to work on my walking. My gait is terrible and I risk other problems if we don't fix it.

It took a lot out of me just getting out today but it will get easier. Now to rest, ice and elevate for the rest of the day.
 
Sure you need to work on gait. Most of us do after tkr--partly b/c we've been compensating so long for bad knees that abnormal gait feels normal. But don't take it as a dire thing to be told you need to work on gait. Slowly but surely you'll get there.
 
Started on the real work of physio today. My PT put a rolled up towel under my ankle and a rolled up towel under the top part of my calf just below my knee. He said he was going to push down on my thigh. I was terrified and he obviously saw that in my face. He went over and grabbed a metal rod which he handed to me. He said, "If I hurt you, you can hurt me." It didn't hurt at all at the time but it really aches now. He showed me how to use my cane properly. I have been using it incorrectly for years. When doing exercises instead of counting to 5 to hold a position, I have to say, "I hate physiotherapists, I hate physiotherapists, I hate physiotherapists." I like this guy. Next week I go on the anti gravity treadmill.
 
Had a rough couple of days since physio. I had to get more pain meds from the OS. I'm back on Dilaudid. It didn't do much last night and I was in a lot of pain. Seems to be calming down but I feel as if I'm taking one step forward and two steps back. My knee is so tight. I know that they had to tighten the ligaments because they were very loose before but at times it feels like they are too tight. I can't stand up properly because I can't get the TKR leg straight. I have not been doing regular exercises but have been doing some and I have used my recumbent bike just to push on the pedals. I now have a Cryo cuff which isn't helping that much. I thought I'd be able to start working this week but no chance. As each day goes by it is getting more and more frustrating.
 
I wish there were an option to rate a post with a great big hug. So sorry you're having a rough time right now. The next 36 hours after my first physical therapy appointment were very difficult for me, increased pain -> 1000 mg uncoated Tylenol --> tummy turbulence --> friends needing to run out to drug and grocery store for OTC meds, saltines, bananas.

Have you seen the gentle stretching exercises @Roy Gardiner has posted? He was kind enough to put a link on my thread Sarah Jane's Summer Journey. They might help. There's something in the library, too, about the timing of returning to work. I seem to remember it advocating 12 weeks of rest and recouperation if possible, and a gentle staggering of hours from partial days to full days. I know not all employers and job situations permit that, but IMHO they should. It's hard to imagine being productive when you're still dealing with physical pain and discomfort. These words are coming from someone who pushed and pushed and pushed herself through all sorts of fertilizer for several decades and now sincerely regrets forcing her body and psyche through that much stress, pressure and discomfort. But, as they say, your mileage (and work situation) may vary.

I hope that the Tenth Doctor isn't dismantling a Cyberman to obtain parts for your joint replacements! Or is this how the Eleventh Doctor ended up with his companion, Handles? (Forgive some Dr. Who references based on Christine's current avatar, but I couldn't resist. Resistance, after all, is futile. ---- Wait! Different British actor as lead in difference famous cult sci fi series.)
 
Thank you @SarahJane i have read the articles and I do gentle exercises at least once a day. I work for a very small law firm, there are only 4 staff and one lawyer. We don't have sick days or short term disability but when one man is down it affects the whole group. I banked enough hours before my surgery and I am taking vacation days to make up 6 weeks off. My boss is very accommodating, he has to be, he's a personal injury lawyer and it would be hypocritical of him to treat a staff member badly when he is representing people who have injuries. We are about to enter trial season and they need me back. My PT told me he will have me work ready in 4 weeks which would be 8 weeks post surgery. I am worried that getting to that point is actually going to hurt my knee. I am set up to work for home but haven't had the desire, the motivation or the clear head to do it yet.

Oh a Trekkie and a Whovian. Next you will be telling me that you are a Browncoat and a Buffy fan. I admit to being all of the above. I am a geek and wear my geekness with pride!

My hobby is taking 12 inch action figures and making dioramas. I make furniture in 1:6 scale and photograph the dioramas. My workshop is in the basement and I haven't been able to get down there yet. Another thing I am missing because of this damned knee.

A bunch of friends are coming for a visit today and my husband is going to be chief cook and bottle washer. I hope they offer to help him because I can't.
 
I am set up to work for home but haven't had the desire, the motivation or the clear head to do it yet.

This was my challenge. It took, in my opinion, far too long to get through the lack of desire and the clear head to do work, which is why I'm amazed there are people returning to work at three to six weeks. I hope they are in better shape than I was mental fog-wise at that point.

Before anyone jumps on, I know my brain fog was all normal and to be expected, but that's the part of recovery I found most troubling. The assurances that it was normal were helpful, and I was thankful for them.

I'd have to review my thread to rediscover when I thought it passed, but it seemed like forever. :banghead:
 
Back
Top Bottom