Guest viewing is limited

THR Cats land on their feet

My surgeon was fine about me swimming at 6 weeks but was very concerned about me slipping on the way to the pool. I phoned the pool up and they have a chair that will take people from the changing room to the pool. Also I could take my own wheelchair. Knowing this completely obliterated the worry I had about slipping on the side. I got down the steps I to the pool just fine and had a great time.
 
My surgeon was fine about me swimming at 6 weeks but was very concerned about me slipping on the way to the pool. I phoned the pool up and they have a chair that will take people from the changing room to the pool. Also I could take my own wheelchair. Knowing this completely obliterated the worry I had about slipping on the side. I got down the steps I to the pool just fine and had a great time.
That's a really great service. Ours has a disabled restroom separate from the main locker rooms. It opens on to the pool area. I had to start using that a while back as the locker room floor would get wet and be very unsafe for cane use.
I'll go back to that for as long as I need the cane.
 
Yesterday I hit Stir Crazy. I couldn't settle, and I couldn't sleep.
So this morning I decreed we should go out for breakfast. It all went well.
I'm not quite ready to be cane only, but it worked well enough from being dropped off at the sidewalk into the building. I limp a lot more with just the cane.

The food was wonderful. It was nice to be out on a lovely spring day.

The first of our rose bushes and our bright yellow irises are blooming. I'll try to get a picture when I'm out for groceries tomorrow.
 
Woohoo!! For the first time in over a year I walked though the grocery store! I leaned pretty hard on the shopping cart, but that's fine for now.
I came home, put up the groceries, and now I am in my recliner with my ice pack according to protocol.
 
My first attempt at hands free pool shoes was a failure. I may go with a Teva style sandal. I used something like that for many years.

Today I drove 20 minutes to my pain specialists office. My new hip is tired, but not angry. I had to park a little further than I like. Learning to have good posture while using my cane is going to be frustrating I can tell.

It was a lovely day to be out.
Red roses blooming. Yellow iris. And the first of the white roses. It's finally truly spring here.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Cats land on their feet
    20240521_145305.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 57
The new hip was a bit fussy when trying to sleep last night, but not too bad. The biggest deal was my incision. It's properly closed and healing well, but the seat-belt fastening was up against it and put a good deal of pressure on it, and that seems to have been unpopular. I'm icing it today.

I had a really lovely morning today. I love to bake. I prefer to bake my own treats rather than purchase between my food allergies and the quality of commercial ingredients. Portions wrapped in Press-n-seal and frozen last really, really well. I made cookie dough on Monday, but the prep and clean up tuckered me out. It was chilly this morning so I pulled out my dough and baked cookies for the freezer.
It was a whole new experience. For so long scooping out cookies, or standing to package them has been such an ordeal. Today it was like nothing, just as it really should be.
I've really missed standing!
 
@luvcats I had that seat belt problem for a while too. My solution was to keep a small hand towel in the car and fold it then put in between hip and the fastener thingy. Provided a bit of padding and decreased the irritation.

Yummmmm. Your cookies sound delish!
 
@luvcats I had that seat belt problem for a while too. My solution was to keep a small hand towel in the car and fold it then put in between hip and the fastener thingy. Provided a bit of padding and decreased the irritation.
Unfortunately, my own personal padding doesn't leave enough room for another layer.

Yummmmm. Your cookies sound delish!
I will admit, I have a gift with cookies. My maternal aunts taught me to make chocolate chip cookies by the family recipe starting (with plenty of supervision) at 9. I had to learn to bake gluten free in my 30s, that was quite a learning curve. But now our friend group is delighted to eat anything I bake, muffins, cookies, or pie crust and they are shocked when they learn it is all gluten free.
Today was basic chocolate chip, Husband's favorite, and experimental white chocolate chip cranberry.
My house smells amazing.

Have you ever noticed that if you've been baking during the day, when you shower in the evening, you can smell the scent of it rising off your skin? It always makes me happy.
 
Second attempt for pool shoes are on order.

Today was trip 2 to the store, a different one this time. All the regulars were delighted for me that I was able to walk for my shopping. Me too! It is so much faster!!

I can feel a bit of pull in the anterior muscles where I've probably been sitting too much, but that will work out in 2 weeks when I can get back in the pool.

First I have to get through a likely stressful visit from family. They are often not mindful or respectful of my various limitations. Our relationship works best when they are home in Australia. Boundaries are hard with parents. Hopefully this trip will be better than most.

In better news, I believe it is time to completely clear off the dining table so I can use it to cut fabric. I make most of my own clothes so suit my own aesthetic. I *can* cut fabric sitting down, but like so many things, it's really much easier standing up.
 
Oh lucky you to be able to see and make your clothing! I always said that when I retired that I would take lessons…. But haven’t so far.

Isn’t it lovely when you’re able to stand for longer periods of time? Or walk for longer distances? Or even bake like in your case! It’s why we all sign up for our surgeries, that is wonderful.
 
Hi! Taking naps while family is over can help tremendously! I am also impressed with making one’s own clothes! You are very creative!
 
Re: clothing
I started reenacting when I was in college. Back then if you wanted an interesting historical costume, you had to make it yourself. I was fortunate to have someone to teach me. But all those lessons transfer perfectly to making clothing that suits me. As someone of a non-standard size, who is not comfortable in jeans and t-shirts, if I want specific things, I need to make them. At least now there are many more large size patterns available in the world.

@Hippie Chick I'm afraid that napping while the family visits isn't an option. My dad is quite literally deathly allergic to cats. So their visits are a complicated game of keep-away with my house. If we could just hang out, play games, maybe cook together, things would be easier.

Standing up is just wonderful. I can get so many things done at once!
Today we went to breakfast with friends. I used my cane and it went well enough. So at home I've just been using the cane this afternoon. I'll know in the morning how my body feels about it.

Really looking forward to the pool. One more week.
 
Yes re clothes! In the 1980s I didn't see clothes I liked in the stores (plus short and high waisted) and learned sewing and patternmaking and made darn near everything but underwear for about ten years!
 
I have a small flattish gel bead ice pack that was perfect for the seatbelt in my car. Keep us posted on your swim shoes!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, luvcauts!
Enjoy the pool! :swim:
@luvcats
 
Family visit exhausting but accomplished.
We live near an old historic mining town turned tourist destination. Last year during their visit I was able to walk a very limited distance and mostly sat on benches while the others ran around. This time I was able to navigate the uneven wooden sidewalks pretty well and made my way up the entire street. I felt very accomplished. I was also able to get on and off the historic train cars which feature very narrow steep stairs. I had very little trouble except the first very high step. It's all very exciting.

I'm still using my cane. There's not a lot of discomfort left but I have the habit of limping and it's slow going to train myself out of that.

Monday was my first day back to the pool. I managed to only overdo a very little bit. Tomorrow will be my first class, I hope I can remember to be mindful. The pool is where I will best learn not to limp.
 
Yay! You sound like you accomplished quite a bit during their visit! Congratulations on the pool! Enjoy your class!
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom