Guest viewing is limited

THR Cats land on their feet

Best Wishes for your visit with the surgeon today, luvcats!
Let us know how it goes...if you care to share.
A great week to you! :SUNsmile:
@luvcats
 
Yesterday was my first post-op visit.
They took the dressing off and the wound is healing beautifully. The doctor was very pleased to hear that I'm moving well and down to just tylenol and a little tramadol. We had a good discussion about PT and my other hip.
Normally, they don't refer hip patients to PT, it isn't necessary. But I've been walking with a terrible limp for over a year and my gait is a mess. That said, we also discussed my other hip, which is more uncomfortable than I thought now that my pain meds are pulled way back.
The take aways were:
In a month, I'll go back for follow up xrays on the new hip, and xrays on the other hip. If it's bad enough to justify surgery to my insurance, I'll have the other hip done in July/August. When that one heals, I'll go to PT to get help with proper strengthening and improvement to my gait. In 2 more weeks I can go back to the pool and just use that as pt/exercise.
It was a good visit. I adore my surgeon. He has such a great manner. Even though my surgery was longer than normal and more complicated, he has no hesitation at all in setting me up for a second.

If a member of the staff responsible for keeping the list of recommended surgeons would ping me, I'm delighted to refer mine as talented, compassionate, and not even slightly fat-phobic. I'm a lot bigger now than my profile pic.

As often happens, I over did a bit yesterday. There was a significant walk from the door to my surgeons office in the big complex. Then we went out for lunch, not far for walking, but compared to my usual... I'm not sure my seat in the car was great either. So I woke up this morning early with a throbbing hip.

An ice pack and some tramadol later, I feel ok.
A resting day planned. I think I have enough brains to get back to my knitting.
 
If a member of the staff responsible for keeping the list of recommended surgeons would ping me, I'm delighted to refer mine as talented, compassionate,
Feel free to post his/her information here in your thread.

If you'd prefer to keep it private, you can send me a private message.
 
In 2 more weeks I can go back to the pool and just use that as pt/exercise.
If you are accustomed to water exercise be aware that it feels so wonderful you will have to really restrain yourself for the first couple times or you will be joining me on the ODIC (Over did it Club) bench. I didn’t actually care much that it wiped me out because it felt like I was really living again. Enjoy yourself!
 
In 2 more weeks I can go back to the pool and just use that as pt/exercise.
If you are accustomed to water exercise be aware that it feels so wonderful you will have to really restrain yourself for the first couple times or you will be joining me on the ODIC (Over did it Club) bench. I didn’t actually care much that it wiped me out because it felt like I was really living again. Enjoy yourself!
I know well how easy it is to exhaust yourself in the pool, even if you aren't recovering from something!! I love being in the pool. I always feel so lithe and strong. Like a dolphin, unlike my usual beached state. lol

I have to find myself some pool shoes that aren't mules/open back, but can easily slip on my feet without having to fuss with the heels. Currently I have 'aqua socks', sole on the bottom, mostly just sock on top, but I have to twist quite a bit to get them on and I think that will not be a good choice for quite a while.

Any pool regulars with a style recommendation?
 
Last night I was able to get both legs up into bed all by myself! Yay!
Our bed is quite high. I have a small step set to help me get in, but lifting my surgical leg has been too painful until yesterday. Its kind of exciting to watch every new bit of progress.

Today is officially 2 weeks with my new hip. We are officially friends now. lol
 
:yes!: a great milestone!!!!
 
Yesterday I was a limp noodle. I just dozed a lot. Today I have more energy and my brain is working thank goodness. I really miss my brain when she's fogged over.
I don't know if it was yesterday's rest, or the fact that a friend is coming over to visit. I haven't lived in my current home all that long and I don't have many 'come over to the house' friends yet. I usually talk to a lot of people online, but they have been busy or vacationing.
This weekend I'm going to figure out how to get in and out of the car. I have an appointment on Tuesday that I think I'll be fine to drive to. It's been so long since I was able to one-let into the car, I'll have to figure it out again. I've been having to sit-n-spin for over a year.
 
Grand Attack barefoot shoes? Crocs?
Can't just slip on the Grand Attacks, though. Amazon
 
Last edited:
Merrell makes one I step into if I leave the strap on the top/instep
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Cats land on their feet
    IMG_4605.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 38
Merrell makes one I step into if I leave the strap on the top/instep
Thanks! I have ordered a test pair to see if they'll do what I need.

Today was a test run to see about driving. I have a doctor visit on Tuesday. I'm not quite certain what I was thinking to schedule it so close to the surgery, but it's a done deal now. I can't quite put one leg into the car first in the traditional way, but sit and spin works well enough. Driving to my appointment on the other side of town isn't optimal, but if I take my tramadol, I should be able to make it ok. During my practice I also decided I'm not ready to give up my walker for a cane yet at home, but the cane will be adequate to just get me in and out at the doctor or grocery store.

I can't decide if I'll use the courtesy ecv, or use a regular cart as walking support for a quick shop on Monday.
 
I agree with @raylo . I have several pairs of the Skechers walk-ins and I love them. I started buying them before the surgery because I couldn't tie gym shoes (still can't yet). I drove last week for the first time at about 4 weeks and I was fine. I actually had to stop driving before my surgery because I could no longer get in and out of my car (it's a 2 seater, so very low to the ground.) At 4 weeks, no problem!
 
Skechers also make some really good step-ins. I have a couple pairs.

I was specifically looking for step in pool shoes I don't have to wrangle around my heel.
For every day supportive shoes, I am completely in love with Kiziks.
 
I drove last week for the first time at about 4 weeks and I was fine. I actually had to stop driving before my surgery because I could no longer get in and out of my car (it's a 2 seater, so very low to the ground.) At 4 weeks, no problem!

We've had a Tuscon since before I had my knees done, and my 2 favorite things are the height, and the fact that the front door swing very wide making it easy to get into.

Hopefully most of another week will make things easier for me.
 
Use cane to get into store but definitely use shopping cart for stability & exercise.
I used electric cart once & Eman gave me shopping cart tip & I used that & could walk store with no problem.
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom