Guest viewing is limited

THR Cats land on their feet

:happydance:Great update!!!!
 
I’m so happy that you’re back in the water too! It’s my best exercise and relaxation. My only issue is getting lotion on my chlorine dried legs and feet, but it’s still worth it. Enjoy!
 
The pool seems to have kicked my bum! It felt great to be back in. Gentle walking and moving Monday. Most of aerobics class Thursday, but slow and gentle, and I quit 10 minutes before the end. I didn't get particularly sore, but by Friday I was unreasonably tired. I've been enjoying having more energy without the drain of pain and meds, but I had no energy at all Friday, or Saturday.
Today is better. I had some energy, but I stuck to dishes and knitting.

Its weird. Because there is no pain, my brain has a lot of trouble remembering to take things slow and expect to be tired.

I'll be back in the pool 2 days this week, but I'll plan to spend those afternoons resting, not trying to be productive.

I was very productive this week before I exhausted myself. I got 2 complete skirts cut out, and have the first mockup of a new blouse pattern. None of that is urgent, just fun.
 
Listen to your body, @luvcats! It really is easy to overdo things when the pain subsides and your start to feel better. But you aren't even 6 weeks out, so your body is still using a lot of energy for healing.

As a reminder, here's an article about Energy drain for THRs.
 
Tomorrow is 7 weeks.
I feel really good.

Friday I had a follow up with the surgeon. My xrays of my new hip (right) look very good and I've been cleared for whatever. My xrays of my old hip (left) look worse than in November, bone on bone, and I'm officially scheduled for a second upgrade on July 31. I am very pleased by both these things.

We had a terrible heat wave on the West coast. Entirely too early in the summer for high 90s, but there we are. The last 2 days have been really nice for a break, and we head back up the thermometer again tomorrow. I don't function well in the heat, even though we have excellent a/c in our house.

I've been doing the pool twice per week. On Monday's I go when the pool is nice and empty and walk and stretch and do gentle things. On Thursday I go to my regularly scheduled aerobics class. I plan to up that to 2 days of class in July as I build strength. I'm not doing much walking at all. Even in the mornings its too hot for me.

Today I have an appointment with my chiropractor to get my pelvis rebalanced. Just placing my hands on my hips, I can feel that the left is really high. I had a lot of trouble with that pre-surgery from limping and too much cane, so I think an adjustment will help.

I have started walking without the cane just a bit. I hope the adjustment will help my walk. I don't need the cane for discomfort, but I walk really out of balance.

Today I really feel like myself. I have a whole long to-do list of random chores, and I feel up to dealing with annoying things.
 
The chiropractor helped some, but not as much as I'd hoped.
I did figure out where my walking problem is. My hips aren't nutating (making that figure 8) as they should. Too stiff. I'm working on stretching the sides and paying more attention. I've basically stopped using the cane in the house, which I'm quite excited about. It's only 5 weeks until the 2nd upgrade! I need to be in a bit better shape before that.

I was planning to increase my pool days starting next week, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that. I've been more aggressive with my walking on Mondays in the pool, and it leaves me very tired and sore. Not too sore, but enough to notice. I don't think that suggests adding another day yet.

Wednesday will be 8 weeks post surgery. I'm really happy with how things have gone. I think the next hip will go even better as there is no atrophy of muscles on that side, it's been doing all the work for almost 2 years!

I keep meaning to come by and update, but everything is going so well, I don't feel like I have anything to say. How wonderful is that?!
 
Great update!

Yeah, I agree with keeping the pool walking at once a week ... OR ... it might be better overall to reduce the walking time by 20 - 25% and add a second day.
 
Nice update. Thanks for sharing. Glad you're happy with your progress.
I hope you have a nice week and safe holiday weekend.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
@luvcats
 
Well, here we are, one week out from my second upgrade on July 31!
That all went by very quickly. I just did a read through of this thread so I could see what my healing milestones looked like. Every hip is different, but I hope some of that will be relevant.

I never did get back to 3 days a week at the pool. The more my new hip didn't need meds, the more I realized the other hip hurts a fair bit too.
It's nice to be able to grocery shop standing up. I really appreciate those stores that make carts available, but I'm so glad not to need them any more. Walking is so much faster!

Honestly, I've been sewing up a storm. I've made an entire Italian Renaissance costume for my history re-enacting, including making a new pattern for the bodice, which I haven't been smart enough to do until I came off a high does of tramadol. Thinking is great!
I've made a new summer top that I am wearing today.
I've started on a new skirt.
And I bought the foam to upgrade my couch cushion and made a new cover.

Before, sewing made my hip really ache and I could only do it an hour or so. I've had some long marathon days and it just feels good to be able to really dig into the pile of projects I've been gathering.

I don't have any particular concerns about the next surgery. Just ready to get on with it. August is for healing. In September I'll start some physical therapy and see if I can't get walking sorted out. I'll be able to just about the time the weather shifts and I am willing to walk outside again.
 
YAYYYY! FABULOUS milestones!!!
I used to do a fair amount of flat pattern drafting for shirts, jackets, Victorian corsets... it does take focus!!!!
 
Sounds great, sewing was never my strength but I've just started crocheting again after a 30 year hiatus.
I've already made 2 afghans & just purchased the yarn for #3. First one was for a friend that just retired that loves to take naps. So I made him a "retirement" nap blanket.
Then other two are for my two Texas granddaughters that are in college & I made them in their respective school colors. Finished purple & white (U of Washington), now onto Oregon (Ducks) green & yellow.
Good luck with the upcoming surgery. Hope all goes well & keep us posted.
 
1 more day. I take my first awful chlorohexadine shower tonight. I hate that stuff.

I have brain weasels. I don't feel nervous about the surgery. I just want to get it over with. Much the same way I do when I need to fly.
I can't focus. None of my usual hobbies seem appealing. I have been obsessively tidying the house. It is now sparking clean with only a little laundry left to do tomorrow. I've been in self imposed quarantine since Thursday, only a quick trip to the grocery store when it is pretty empty. I'm missing social interaction, but I know too many people who are/have recently been down with various things. No germs please.

Perhaps an old favorite movie and some knitting...
 
@luvcats Ah the "anticipation is keeping me waiting" syndrome. And yes those pre surgery washes are sticky and not fun! Been there, and know that! When I have to fly my only "fear" is I'll miss the flight and not be able to go to my destination.

Tomorrow you become a double hippy - best of everything for you :friends:
 
I cleaned better prior to my 2nd surgery. I knew what had annoyed me the first time. Think about what you need handy when you start to recover- that was also super helpful. The quarantine sounds like a great plan. I found magazines and sitcoms to be nice attention wise. Not too much or too little just right. You are going to do great! And you already know about Bone Smart!
 
@luvcats you're getting close and I definitely remember that anticipation of lets get this show on the road already! Wishing you the best on hip #2.
 
Then other two are for my two Texas granddaughters that are in college & I made them in their respective school colors.

Which schools? I went to Texas A&M.
Oldest granddaughter is U of Washington in Seattle (purple & white), her younger sister Oregon (Ducks), yellow & green. Both couldn't wait to get out of Texas!
I love Texas. We go a few times per year, my oldest son lives there & my brother & SIL are in San Antonio.
We are native New Englanders (I'm still in NE), but my son's job took him to Texas & my SIL is a native Texan. My brother always wanted to move back here but his health has declined so it wouldn't be feasible for them to make a big move at this point in their lives.
 
Best wishes for an easy day tomorrow, @luvcats! Looking forward to hearing from you when you feel up to it post-op.
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom