Guest viewing is limited

PKR Catkins recovery from PKR!

4 weeks post-op today. I can’t believe it. My pre-op head thought I would be almost back to normal by now. How unrealistic I was.
Met a different physio this week. He has put me back onto 2 crutches as he wasn’t happy with the fact I was limping on 1 crutch. I now have to concentrate on every step to relearn a ‘normal gait’ My flexion was 120 but extension still needs work. It is always worst in the morning and improves through the day.
My sleep is starting to improve. I am managing to sleep on my side which really helps. My husband is even considering coming back from the spare room!
I have cut out my nefopam meds completely now and am taking paracetamol and meloxicam. I am not experiencing a lot of pain, an occasional sharp pain and just tightness from swelling.
I have another 4 weeks off work. I will review nearer the time to see if it’s realistic to return to 12.5 hours shifts on a crazy busy ward!! Time will tell.
I hope everyone is making good progress.
 
Poor you @catkin69. Your immune system sounds like it’s taken a hammering.

Big hugs to you:console2:
 
I had a very unrealistic idea of recovery also, because of what I’d read about partials and because of what my surgeon didn’t say.

Your gait and your extension will naturally improve as you heal. I didn’t “work on” mine and they are fine now.
 
I think most of us hope we'll be almost back to normal far earlier than it actually happens. That's where forums like this really help, as you find others in the same situation rather than fretting at home alone. It sounds as if you're making good progress though and the normal gait will come with practice. I'd have a word with either your surgeon or GP about returning to HRT if you had to stop it for surgery. Out of curiosity, why did you? Was it in case of a higher risk of blood clots? I take tamoxifen, which carries an increased risk, but didn't have to stop taking it for the surgery.

Good to hear your sleeeping better. I found 4 weeks seemed to be the turning point for me and it makes such a difference.
 
  • Like
Reactions: zab
4 weeks post-op today. I can’t believe it. My pre-op head thought I would be almost back to normal by now. How unrealistic I was.
Met a different physio this week. He has put me back onto 2 crutches as he wasn’t happy with the fact I was limping on 1 crutch. I now have to concentrate on every step to relearn a ‘normal gait’ My flexion was 120 but extension still needs work. It is always worst in the morning and improves through the day.
My sleep is starting to improve. I am managing to sleep on my side which really helps. My husband is even considering coming back from the spare room!
I have cut out my nefopam meds completely now and am taking paracetamol and meloxicam. I am not experiencing a lot of pain, an occasional sharp pain and just tightness from swelling.
I have another 4 weeks off work. I will review nearer the time to see if it’s realistic to return to 12.5 hours shifts on a crazy busy ward!! Time will tell.
I hope everyone is making good progress.

Hey @catkin69 I too had an unrealistic idea of how my recovery would go, i'm around your age (46) and I think us younger ones are the worse patients (my PT assures me of this) older patients seem to be just happy to return to normal ADL where as we have greater expectations.

I'm 10 days ahead of you, like you no pain (i'm not taking any meds now) but still get tighness and swelling, I returned to work after 3 weeks but have a desk job so can elevate and ice when I need to, there is no way in hell I could be up and about doing a 12 hr shift, take those 4 weeks I say.

Your flexion is better than mine I only have 105 currently but I'm confident it will come, my swelling takes longer than average to go I know this from previous sugeries. Not sure about crutches at 4 weeks though? Gait will again improve as the swelling goes I think you should be full weight bearing at 4 weeks.
 
Last edited:
@Jockette you are right. I had been told and read that partials are easy to recover from and my surgeon even thought I could be back to my job in 4 weeks knowing what I do!! It certainly doesn’t do anything for your self esteem when you don’t manage that! Interesting your gait came back naturally.

@Lindylee it was stopped because of the risk of DVT. I have since been told 6 weeks post-op to restart. I would prefer to stay off it but I will see! Improved sleep definitely makes a difference.

@zab I definitely believed I was youngish and fittish and would bounce straight back!! Going back to work at 3 weeks seems very early! I’m glad you are coping with that.
I am full weight bearing with crutches. When I went down to 1 crutch I was leaning too heavily on it making my gait worse. On 2 my gait is better and I am concentrating on working my quad as I walk. I have managed longer less painful walks since and I am happy with that.
 
Interesting your gait came back naturally.
It’s more a matter of time to heal, than anything else. 4 weeks is a drop in the bucket, of the time needed to heal.
 
You are doing great! I was told I’d be back to walking pain free in 3 months after my partial. That was not even close, I had issues with mine of course, but even if I hadn’t I think that was a unrealistic time frame. Everyone heals and recovers differently. I’ve now had both and I’ve got a long ways to go, my flex and extension are good it’s the pain still for me. I’m assuming it’s soft tissue pain as it hurts with every step. I’m still on 2 crutches and feel like I’ve been recovering for ever. Somedays are better than others. but I think for me it’s just time. I think crutches are help big with the gait and do whatever it is that works for you. I’m hope you continue to heal well. Xx
 
@catkin69 It's great to hear you are moving along well. I'm amazed that you have little to no pain. :wow:

The pain fairy is still paying me a visit regularly every night these days. I've reported this to my OS recovery nurse and they are prescribing Neurontin (generic name: Gabapentin) for my early morning pain. I hope that puts the kabash on the pain fairy.

Best of luck on your continued recovery!:thumb:
 
@JDinCT Just so you know your not alone on the pain department.I’m in lots of pain still, majority is while I weight bear, but also at rest. I guess we’re all different in our recoveries. My poor knee does not like surgery apparently , hoping every week things will be a little less painful for both of us. @catkins69 Thank-you and
no they sure aren’t, if only I found this forum sooner I’d be much more aware of what I was up against. Onwards and upwards!
 
@JDinCT I’m sorry you are still getting pain. Everyone has such different recovery. I can’t imagine doing half of what you have achieved but you struggle in a different way. I hope the Gabapentin helps you. Maybe you should stop climbing ladders
 
4 weeks post-op today. I can’t believe it. My pre-op head thought I would be almost back to normal by now. How unrealistic I was.
It's all too easy to think that being young and fit will lead to a faster recovery. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen like that.

The other thing is that, in spite of what you may have been told before your surgery, recovery from a PKR is seldom faster than recovery from a TKR.
Met a different physio this week. He has put me back onto 2 crutches as he wasn’t happy with the fact I was limping on 1 crutch. I now have to concentrate on every step to relearn a ‘normal gait’ My flexion was 120 but extension still needs work. It is always worst in the morning and improves through the day.
Well done that physio! It's much better to continue using both crutches until your gait is normal. That way, you won't have to unlearn bad walking habits.

Your flexion is excellent. Extension often takes longer to achieve. I think the bes way to help it to increase is by lengthening your stride when walking.

I have another 4 weeks off work. I will review nearer the time to see if it’s realistic to return to 12.5 hours shifts on a crazy busy ward!! Time will tell.
Can you ask now to have more time off work than just another 4 weeks? We recommend taking about 12 weeks off and then doing a Phased return to work , if possible. People with demanding jobs such as yours may need to take even longer.

Obviously, having to work 12-5 hour shifts, a phased return won't be possible. Those shifts are killers on a new knee, so please don't try to rush back to work too soon. If you do, you won't do justice either to your new knee or to your jib.
 
@Celle I was very impressed with the physio and am hoping he will be there next week. It was a knee class and he was excellent with everyone there. It makes such a difference.
I have made an appointment with my gp for just before my sick note runs out to extend if needed. As long as they agree I need more time it will be fine. I won’t go back until I think I can cope.
 
So I am sleeping better but it is resulting in me waking up with a bent knee that I am struggling to straighten. The pain trying to get it straight makes me feel sick! Once it’s straight and after icing it settles but leaves a burning sensation under the knee cap.
Feeling a bit bored of all this now!! Physio tomorrow and I see the surgeon on Friday. Maybe he will have some words of wisdom for me!!
 
The novelty has worn off hasn’t it? I’m so bored of this too!! Feel like the pain has almost worsened in the past week.
:console2:
 
I still have pain too and I am also getting bored.

I'm not driving yet and there isn't particularly anywhere I want to go so,it doesn't really matter but I just hate being reliant on my husband to drive me if I do want to go out.

Lets look on the bright side, by the time the weather improves we should be feeling much better.
 
Hey ladies.... can I join the "Done with This!" club?.... :snork:

I make a mean G&T.... :cheers2:…. sorry Gin & Tonic for those not knowing that one... :SUNsmile:
 
I slept with my leg on my elevation wedge which not only helped the swelling, but it kept me in one position all night. No tossing and turning and no bent leg in my sleep.

My wedge is different from the lounge Dr in that it has a trough cut into it for my leg, so it would have been hard to move out of it in my sleep, which was advantageous.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom