PKR Catkins recovery from PKR!

It's still very early days for you all. It will get better, you know it will, but that knowledge doesn't always help when you're in a lot of pain. I can remember psyching myself up to go to the bathroom. I found my pain eased when I became a little more mobile. I don't know if that was the same for others. It sounds as if you're on the right track @catkin69
 
Thanks @Lindylee I had a good morning. Ice, elevation and exercise. This afternoon I feel stiffer and sorer. Forced myself out for a little walk in the bitter English weather. It felt good to be in the fresh air. Tucked myself up in bed with ice and elevation this afternoon and had a lovely 1 1/2 hours sleep which was lovely. Just what I needed. My first PT session is on Thursday so will see what she says!!
 
All heading in the right direction. You were brave going out today. It was truly awfu weather. Good luck on Thursday.
 
This afternoon I feel stiffer and sorer. Forced myself out for a little walk in the bitter English weather.
I’m glad you enjoyed getting outside, but it’s really too early to be walking that much. It’s only been 5 days. Go easier on the exercises, they are not as essential as we are led to believe.

Don’t think that a partial is any easier to recover from than a total. We are grossly mislead on that theory.

I had a Patellofemoral also, so I know what it’s like. My recovery was nothing like I expected, and 2 years later, it still isn’t good.
 
It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Thanks for that @Jockette. It was only a little walk but maybe I was pushing h it. The few steps from lounge to toilet doesn’t feel enough. I came out if hospital with no swelling and a really good range of movement so it was hard to wake up the next day with lots swelling and little movement. I have plenty of time to recover. Just need to be patient x
 
Please don’t rush it. Take the time your new knee needs. It’s been through a lot.

You’re lucky you had little swelling at first. My leg was huge! In theses early days it only takes a little bit to cause swelling.

Complete healing will take a full year. I was shocked to learn that, here on Bonesmart, because all I’d read about partials before surgery was how quick the recovery was. You will feel much better long before that year is done, but it will still take months and improvement is slow. Much slower than we’d like.
 
No headaches but I am getting neck pain which I am putting down to sleeping in positions I wouldn’t normally sleep in.
Is this because you are sleeping on your back, or in a recliner?

I was a side sleeper, also, before surgery. I became a back sleeper because my knee is happier elevated all night (still) which means I’m on my back.

I use a smaller pillow under the pillow I put my head on, under the end of the pillow, which props up the pillow that my head is on and helps to keep my head and neck in a better position, than my head just falling towards my shoulder. I also have neck issues and this works for me to help protect it.

It’s hard to explain. I guess I should take a picture some time!
 
Yes I am sleeping on my back. I am elevating at night for comfort too in bed. My husband bought me a v pillow yesterday which is helping as it stops my head falling to the side.!
 
Day 7!!
I can’t believe a week has passed by. I think I have blinked and missed some of it. Still firmly on my roller coaster. I have periods of feeling pretty good and positive then my knee decides not to play fair and no amount of icing, elevating and popping medications brings comfort.
Off to physio later this morning. The first time ‘out’ since I came home so a bit of an adventure. Plan to do nothing apart from getting washed and dressed before I go . My husband has done an early start today so I am praying my children (13,14) are actually getting themselves ready for school. I have heard movement. We live in a 3 story house and they are at the top. I haven’t been up there post-op. Hate to think how it’s looking.
Hope you all have good days x
 
We made it though week one!! Yay! It sounds like you’ve had a good first week . Good luck at physio, I don’t go until next Friday at my own request as my knee is just to swollen. Have a good day to! :)
 
Good luck with physio. That sounds quite early so don't overdo it. I went for my first walk in the street 5 days after surgery. It was only to the end of the road, a couple of hundred yards, and back. I had 2 sticks/canes for support and it wasn't any further than walking the length of the ward in hospital. I found it better than walking on carpet indoors and extended it gradually.
 
@catkin69 Good luck with your physio appointment this morning. I'm right there with you with the "ups and downs" of the first week. I look forward to the times when the peaks and valleys level out a bit. I'm starting to get "zingers" in my knee and involuntary muscle contractions in my quads. I'm taking this as signs that nerves and muscles are reconnecting and reestablishing communications with the rest of my body and brain.

Best of luck today!:cheers:
 
@catkin69 one thing about this recovery is it certainly isn’t straightforward. Three steps forward, four sideways, one loop the loop, and repeat, and that goes on for ages. It doesn’t take much to upset a new knee and they are very quick in letting you know:flabber:
 
@catkin69 @JDinCT we madw our first week. PT just left I'm at 95ROM. Haven't been outside yet. Nurse coming to remove my bandage today. Yesterday was my worse day alot of pain and just emotionally rollercoaster. We're making it and time is flying by.
 
So my physio session was more information gathering than anything else. Measured a 90 for flexion which I was happy with but +10 for extension which I was a bit disappointed with. Didn’t do any exercises just advised on frequency. Encouraged me to walk opposite leg to crutch as a more natural walk. I then realised I hadn’t been putting much weight on the leg. By the time I had travelled back I struggled to walk!! Clips out and further physio on Tuesday. Have sat and prepped dinner for later now icing and elevating.
Thanks for all your replies.
@JDinCT I have also been having ‘electric shocks ‘ They do make me squeal!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Catkins recovery from PKR!
 
Now I’m jealous! Looking great for a week out! Hope you continue to have a smooth recovery.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom