PKR Catkins recovery from PKR!

Getting bored with this, too, especially since our weather is changing for the better :umm:You all are a couple of weeks ahead of me. I am feeling a little pressure about going back to work. I really expected I would be out a month. That would put me at going back next week. Unless something miraculous happens this week, I hardly think that's going to happen. I have been working from home, so that helps a little with the guilt (a few days after my surgery, my coworker developed shingles leaving everything to fall on just one person). @catkin69 , you've been doing so good! Don't rush back to work :) :-) (:
 
@snoots I went backwards painwise at 4-5 weeks and then steadily improved from week 6 onwards, so hang in there. It will get better.
@catkin69 I also had a very stiff knee in the morning fir a few weeks. Mine didn't want to fully straighten or bend much at all until I'd iced it, done a few very basic exercises and moved around on it for a while. I hope yours improves soon.
 
Welcome to the bored of this group everyone
@snoots frustrating isn’t it each time you think you’ve cracked it something else comes up!

@Bionic I haven’t driven yet either, I will try this weekend. The children break up on Friday so at least we could do something next week without using the taxi of my parents!! I hope the weather improves soon. My son just took his poor old mother for a walk and it felt very cold!

@JDinCT if only I could fly I would be over to sample your g and t!
@Jockette my sleep was so poor on my back with elevation as soon as I felt comfy on my side I went for it! Perhaps I need to bring all the elevation pillows back to bed and try again.

@Irish471 I am in no rush to return to work. I have to have a meeting with Human Resources and my ward manager tomorrow. I would love for them to encourage me to take early retirement.
I wish I had a job that was less physical so I could get back sooner. My brain feels a bit mushy already!!

@Lindylee, I guess I’m not alone then. It’s hard when new challenges pop up, thank you.

Have had a lovely visit from some work colleagues today. Lots of laughs and lots of naughty food works wonders!!
 
So... did you have any G&T along with the naughty food??…. :loll:

@Bionic By the way... I was very confident that anyone from the UK knows all about G&T... my note was for those people from less cultured backgrounds that might read my post... :snork:

Here is the gin table from the Metropole Hotel in Taormina Sicily that might be frequented by a few Brits from time to time.... it is rumored they have over 127 gins at the Metropole.... ask me how I know... :cheers2:

[Bonesmart.org] Catkins recovery from PKR!
 
Last edited:
@JDinCT it was soft drinks all round!
How many of the 127 did you get through? I struggle with too much choice so would probably end up with just tonic !
 
We have a Gin Haus in the local town. Lots of very pretty bottles and interesting colours but to be honest I'm not really a gin fan. Its a bit too perfumey for me
 
@Bionic it’s my favourite tipple. Not had a drink for months and now worried I would fall off my crutches if I had one!

Off to physio in a minute. Is my knee straight? No. Am I stressed about it? No.
Saying that I am hoping they will discharge me as it’s a faff getting there. I am married to a former physio so he can keep me on the straight and narrow!
 
Wow, @catkin69 you are lucky to have someone around who knows what to do. Pity you aren't nearer as I might borrow him :-)
Good luck with your physio appt this morning.
Mine is on Thursday as is my 6 week appt with the OS. Its an hours drive away.
Is my knee straight? No Am I stressed about it? YES
 
@Bionic I love my husband but not keen on doing as I’m told! I’ve not been discharged. Back again next week! Knee not straight (maybe I care a little bit ) and still walking like a penguin on one crutch. Quads need more time.

Was that your nearest hospital. It’s half an hour drive for me but have to rely on my parents which is hard. Good luck for Thursday. I see consultant Friday. Not 6 weeks but I think Easter gets in the way!
@snoots I hope you slept well with the lounge doctor x
 
It takes a long while for ROM to return to normal. ROM is flexion and extension. Extension takes longer than flexion for many of us.

Few of us have gotten full ROM back by 6 weeks. Getting it back takes time and healing. Don’t worry about it and don’t let others expectations cause you to start to worry. There is no window of opportunity. My ROM continued to improve after my one year check up.
 
@catkin69
The hospital an hour away is the private one where I had my op done but the nearest NHS is 45 mins away so not much in it really.
Physio did say I could go to the NHS hospital but as I was familiar with the people and the layout at the private hospital I opted to continue with them.

Sorry you didn't get discharged as expected but hopefully on Friday the OS will be pleased with your progress and also say that you are ok to drive.
 
5 weeks post-op today.
Today I am concentrating on positives. Last week I couldn’t carry a cup of tea in a mug upstairs . I can now. My wound is so small, neat and beautifully healed. Today I have put on proper clothes and not my post-op uniform of joggers or leggings. And they are comfortable.
Another positive is I met with my line manager and Human Resources this week and they appreciate a 12 week recovery and don’t expect to see me before then or longer if I’m not ready. That is a massive relief!
I am walking a bit further each day outside. My knee doesn’t complain about the walks. I just get tired.
Happy knee anniversary to my date mates!!
 
@catkin69, great post, great outlook, great plan! Keep it up! You are only at the 1 month mark. You are at that point where you will really begin to see progress in the right direction. You’ll still have setbacks now and then, but mostly you’ll see movement in a forward direction. During my recovery, I found setbacks were of my own doing (ie visiting the ODIC a bit too often). That’s the biggest risk at this point in time cause you are beginning to actually feel somewhat normal.

Keep up the good work!
 
@catkin69
You are doing well and it's great that work are supportive too. We know from reading lots of other posts that's this is not always the case.
 
@catkin69 , I am so happy to hear how supportive yor work is! And that you’re doing so well! It’s the little things sometimes and those small victories are great! I am almost able to get along lifting my leg without needing the leg lifter and that feels pretty darn good :friends:
 
@catkin69 … that's AWESOME news!... congrats! :yahoo:

Indeed ...one day at a time... one step at a time... one activity at a time.... what's the common theme??…. TIME... it all takes TIME... :friends:
 
That's a great post Catkin, good news about work too. I'd echo NavyGunns advice, as it was around a month I felt a big improvement and overdid it so take it slow and steady and don't make the same mistake. Take care, although I'm sure you'll be more sensible!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom