PKR Catkins recovery from PKR!

Have sat and prepped dinner for later now icing and elevating.
Please don't do too much. It could set back your recovery. Read this article again, to check your activity - you're doing more than is advised.
Activity progression for TKRs

You have teenagers. They should be helping now - and it's not beyond their capabilities to prepare a meal.
Did you prepare your family for a period when you will be out of action? This is your time to be selfish and do what is best for your knee and your recovery - not to be a mom.
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
@catkin69 Sounds like a good trip to your physio... :thumb:

Your leg looks great!... appears to be very little swelling... good for you!

What's for dinner? :)
 
@Celle I only sat and chopped the veg for them to cook later. My daughter loves to cook and makes meals from scratch frequently. Believe me I am very well looked after.
@JDinCT katsu chicken curry, rice and salad
 
I'm glad to hear you're being looked after. I had visions of you struggling to do all the jobs you usually do.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Catkins recovery from PKR!


Love coming down to the kitchen to my husbands little messages every morning ️
 
Day 9.
Strange sort of day today. Feeling very ‘wishy washy’ . Woke up iced, did a few exercises and fell asleep. Hubby bought me breakfast than I slept. Had a shower then slept and so it has continued. A bit dizzy and a bit nauseous. On a plus my pain has seemed better today. I have halved my lunchtime dose of meds and will see how I get on.
I hope everyone is having a good Saturday.
 
@catkin69 i have went thru thise feelings this week. I think it’s combination of the surgery our meds and emotional. Rest my friend sleeping is always a good thing. Tomorrow will be better
 
I know that wishy washy feeling.

It means I don't want to concentrate on anything much. My crafts have lain untouched. I can only read a book for short spells too. Husband recommended that I get out my adult colouring book (a present from a friend for one of my hip ops) that seems to be going down better. Probably because I don't really need to think about what I am doing.

Don't worry about keep wanting to sleep. Just nap when you feel like it. It won't do you any harm.
 
@julie1968 thank you. I think while my hubby has been at work and children at school, despite having friends/family dropping I haven’t felt totally relaxed or safe. Now it’s the weekend and they are here again I do feel calmer.
@Bionic I have been the same. I did a lot of colouring in last summer after my scope so I might try that. I have been in front of the tv a lot but couldn’t tell you what I have watched!!
I am happy to nap because I’m not worried about whose coming and when they are coming!
 
@catkin69, those days will come and go. In time, they become rarer. Relish the “I don’t care, just leave me be in my recliner”moments as those are when your body is telling you it needs the down time to repair and recuperate. You are doing very well and have a great support system at home and here.
 
Day 12 update.
I feel like I have turned a corner the last couple of days. My knee is starting to feel stronger and although still moans a bit by the end of the day on the whole I’m not experiencing a lot of pain.
I have upped my activity slightly and it has felt good.
Dressing finally came off today. My wound is small as surgeon said it would be. 17 clips removed painlessly!
I then went up to see the physio. She seems pleased with my progress. ROM 100 and +5. She taught me some more exercises to try, nothing brutal just things to incorporate into my day. I go back again next week to a knee class!
Hope everyone is making steady progress.
 
@catkin69, great update and great progress. You have a great handle on your recovery, where and how you want to go to get to the finish line. Now that you will begin to do more, don’t be discouraged by the occasional step or two backwards. Overall progress will still be positive.
 
Thanks @NavyGunns. Well after feeling so good yesterday I have had a horrible night. Not so much pain but a knee that didn’t know where it wanted to be! A bit of a weeping willow this morning. I know I have to expect this and today I will take it very easy. Tomorrow is another day.
 
@catkin69
I know exactly what you mean by a knee that didn't know where it wanted to be. I have had a lot of trouble sleeping and all for the reason you have said. I can't call it pain, it's just very uncomfortable. Lack of sleep also makes you weepy so I can relate to that too.

I have found upping my meds at night is making a difference. I hope you can find a way to help you get comfortable.
 
@catkin69 Good morning and Happy First Day of Spring!

Sorry to hear you had a slight setback after having such a great Day 12 :sigh:

It's that not so great roller coaster effect. I too am having a bit of a roller coaster ride myself. The pain fairy has been visiting me in middle of the night again the last few days. :flabber:

Just like @Bionic I have increased my meds late afternoon and evening to try and get ahead of the middle of the night visit from the pain fairy.

This too shall pass and you will be back on the upswing.... hope your day improves... :thumb:
 
When I started this journey my aim was to get back to climbing the hills in the Lake District. I have decided to break down my revive into small goals. My first is to sleep past 2am!! The knee is uncomfortable when I wake but not really painful but I just can’t settle back off.
@Bionic are things still better for you? I take my meds before bed.

@JDinCT are you managing better nights?

Is it normal for your skin to peel off. I feel like a snake shedding her skin as my foot and lost leg are constantly peeling despite lathering moisturiser!
Having a lazy day today in the hope I will have a good weekend with the family.
My friends kidnapped me yesterday evening and took me to a coffee shop. It was lovely to be properly out and boosted my confidence.
 
@catkin69
My sleep is definitely better than it was. It could still improve but at least I don't wake feeling tired now. I am wondering what will happen when I reduce/stop my meds though though hope that the knee will have improved enough by then so that I can sleep through.
Currently I am taking meds religiously every 6 hours, setting the alarm on my phone. I am taking I tramadol and 2 paracetamol at 8am. The same again at 2pm. Then at 8pm, depending on how I am feeling I take either 1 or 2 tramadol and 2 paracetamol. Then the alarm wakes me at 2am and I take 2 of each.

As for your legs being like a snake, mine are exactly the same and they were also like it for the 2 hip ops. I told my husband I must have been a reptile in a previous life.

Glad you managed a little trip,out with your friend yesterday. It makes all the difference and you start to feel a bit more human again.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom