TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

Recording your steps is probably a good idea. You can see progression that you can relate to your recovery. I think my cell phone can do it if I put it in my pants pocket. I'll have to give it a try.
 
Hi @Braunzie enjoyed reading your posts. I need to start reading everyone's recovery posts to give me inspiration and patience. I am on Day 6 post surgery on my right knee and 25 days from my 2nd. Getting both done so soon because my left knee is as bad or worse than the right and if I wait until the new year, it will cost $6,000 out of pocket right off the bat. I think I am very lucky, I am having minimal pain although a lot of swelling -I think. Not sure if it is "normal" or not. I keep wanting to do more and more, short walks outside, etch. Good thing it is supposed to rain the next three days! I really need to tell myself, "patience, patience, patience".
 
@kayak59 good that you don't have pain....I was lucky I didn't either. But take your meds on schedule. You have to decide when you think you could skip them. I took them for 5 days every 4 hours the. At 1 week just morning and night and of course right before pt
As far as the swelling it is totally normal Just keep icing and elevation

Keep up the good work
 
Hi all my BoneSmart friends!!! I KNOW it's been forever since I've posted anything substantive. .. Life is busy.. especially with the Holidays upon us!!! (Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!) I have missed our regular meetings and reading everyone's threads.. I've peeked in occasionally, but really haven't been able to spend much time at all. I have a little time - and it's FRIDAY - I need a BREAK! This is where I'm choosing to spend it!!! :yes:

So.. 2 days from now will be my 5 month anniversary with my new knee. It's still amazing to me how long this recovery really is, but I feel fortunate that for the most part, I've had a relatively "uneventful" recovery.. for which I am VERY grateful.

Still feeling the "tight band feeling", but I can tell that it is ebbing.. slowly, but surely. Not taking any meds for my knee - and haven't for quite some time (though I have needed to take them for headaches I get from work!!! :heehee:) Knee is a little stiff in the AM and still requires a couple of "cautious" steps to "get going".. some of that I think is because of foot pain.... I may need to be looking at some orthotics?

Spent ALL day last Saturday on my feet, (each year my husband and I cook -with the help of two of our close friends- the Christmas dinner for our parish - about 110 people) and I was REALLY concerned how my knee would survive. (I should qualify this a bit.. The menu is "varied": Beef Stroganoff with Egg Noodles, Spiral Ham with Potatoes Au Gratin, Chicken Cordon Bleu with a Chicken-Wine Gravy, Caesar Salad, Sauteed Asparagus and dinner rolls.. Out of the house at 7:30 am and not home until 9:30 pm - on my feet at least 96% of the time) I was IMPRESSED with my knee's performance!!! My feet hurt more than it did!!! And I figured I would feel it the next day... but didn't.. My knee was a CHAMP!!! :yay: It didn't hurt any more or any less than any other day.. (I hit my FitBit record since my surgery - which was 12,000 steps, and then the next day I was no slouch either - for me - of 8100 steps.. I KNOW it's not really any great deal.. but it is what it is.. - Most days I'm lucky if I break 5000.. - I won't bore you with all the excuses..:whistle: ) The good news is that, for me, my knee did well!
Stairs going up is getting easier, (the normal way!).. I actually was able to carry a "light" laundry basket up without holding on to the rails a couple weekends ago! Trying to help my husband haul in the 8' Christmas tree up the stairs did not go quite so smoothly.. had to stop a couple times.... hahahaha! :heehee: Still working on going down "normally". It's getting better, but still certainly will take some time.. (Patience!!! - oh yes, I am STILL searching for that ATM!!!!! - In fact, if I do find it, I may have to take out a DOUBLE withdrawal.. one for my knee and one for my job!! :rotfl:)

Getting up after sitting for a while, especially after driving for a while, my knee gets quite stiff, and takes a "few steps" to get my gate back.. but.. my gate is getting faster and I would say I can walk "without a limp" about 75-80% of the time. People at work comment regularly at how I'm "getting better" and others asking how I"m doing (which is nice..) .. I just hate being the center of attention.. I can hardly wait until they just ignore me again.. hahahaha! :loll:

As my "new knee" gets better, I'm getting much more aware of my "other" knee.. I can "feel" it when I bike (stationary) as well as when I walk, maneuvering stairs, and sometimes when I turn in bed.. I am HOPING it holds out for awhile - at least through the summer.. :fingersx: But I know it will have to be replaced at some point..

While I lost 20 pounds while I was on leave from work, it is getting VERY difficult to keep it off. especially with the holiday season here.. :P I don't want to admit it, but there is no denying I've gained back 5.. DARN!!!!! Struggling with keeping weight a priority.. :good-bad:...especially with the stress at work.. and OH BOY! Is there stress at work!!!! Hmmm.. this makes a case for retiring, if you really think about it, yes??? ..... OK, it's a 'goal'.. :prayer: .....:heehee:

I will do my best at catching up on everyone's threads.. But do know that I wish you all the best through the Holiday Season.. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, (and other holidays that apply) and best wishes for a great New Year! .... I better start working on my annual Christmas letter!!! Take care!!! I'll try to update next as soon as I can! :martini: :heehee:
 
So happy that you're doing well and the knee is doing its job! Happy Christmas!
 
Hi Braunzie. Really nice to read your post. I can relate to almost everything. I try to stay above 5000 steps and under 10,000. I have broken 10,00o a few times but not often. Still hurts going down stairs, but working on it in PT, which I believe is starting to pay off. I too am hoping to delay a TKR on my other knee, hoping for a couple of years but we will see. Bonesmart is a comfortable break from work and the craziness of the season. Happy 5-month birthday to our knees!!! And I too am, shall I say, shocked about how long this recovery has been. I thought I would be totally healed by now--some days that day still seems a long way off.
 
Hello, Braunzie! 12,000 steps! Blimey! Am so proud of you. Wonderful to hear how normal your life sounds, and the gradual easing of pain and the increase in ability. Retirement sounds really good to me too. We will get there! Hope your daughter has enjoyed her first semester at school. Christmas will be extra special for you as your family gathers. All my kids will be home for a short time over the Christmas weekend. Which will be here way too soon! Gotta get that shopping done!
 
@Braunzie @Wanttobebiking we all are at 5 months now and I too feel the other knee complaining. I don't have pain in the tkr knee but it constantly clunks and feels boggy after standing in it any leth if time

Can walk up and down holding in still
Riding bike
And like you unfortunately gaining wt too

Just lost my dog if 14 years and find comfort in food
 
Soooooo good to hear from you, Braunzie! I have missed you!! :wave:
Great to hear that you are moving toward normal. I'm right there with you! About the only thing I've not a complished is going DOWN stairs. My #2 knee is preventing that. Like a jealous child, it is showing out and refusing to flex. In addition, I have swelling behind #2 that prevents me from riding the recumbent bike! But, Buddy is doing well! The numbness on the outside of the knee is beginning to "wake up"! I never thought it would!
Stay in touch when you have time. BIG hug!
 
@Braunzie Glad you are doing ok, listen to the advice on this forum & you won't go wrong. I've not known same day home after TKR.
 
Just signing in to say :merryx: and Happy New Year to all my Bonesmart friends!!! Wishing you all the very best in the coming year. Thank you for your friendship and helping me through a long recovery! :kittychris: You all helped immensely! :santa hug: May God keep you healthy and safe in the coming year! :nativity:

All my girls are home for Christmas this week, plus my brother is visiting, so it's been a FULL HOUSE! Lots of cooking, eating, doing dishes, wrapping, (thank God for AMAZON! - not a lot of shopping off line!) and playing games. Knee is holding up very nicely!! I'm very pleased!!!! Still think about it a lot, but definitely less and less. So much better than before surgery!!

I'll be back for a bit longer when things settle down and after I collapse and recover.. hahaha! (Moving my daughter into her new apartment in Portland, OR on Monday.. That will be the TRUE test (but I'm going to be VERY careful!) See you soon! :flwrysmile:
 
Happy New Year to all my Bonesmart friends!!!!

I'm happy to report that my knee did GREAT during the holidays for the most part. Still a bit stiff after sitting for a while, but really, no complaints.. :yes: (But I can hardly wait till this is NOT the case!!!)... I'm keep reminding myself I'm only "half way home"..

I got back to work (after two glorious weeks of vacation!) and, working in a two story building, I took the stairs UP for the first time since my surgery.. :happydance:.... Going down.. still taking the elevator.. but that will come in time! :)

Trying to find opportunities to walk more.. between work and weather, well.. looking forward to the "lighter days"!!!

Wishing you all the best in 2016!. Finding it harder and harder to make the time to visit my friends here, but will continue to make the effort. If I'm not here, it's not because I don't want to be.. :flwrysmile:
 
Answered this in more depth on my thread, Braunzie, but wanted to wish the best 2016 possible for you and all our July Sparklers sisters and brothers. I have learned the more active I am, the less stiff my knee is. And vice versa. Sometimes have to make myself get up just to move a little. Rafa does not like cold weather. :ice:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great updates - I'm now caught up on our thread! You're doing really well by the sounds of it - excellent to hear - send some of those good healing vibes my way, will ya, please?! Don't those early days of recovery last summer seem a lifetime ago now?? Take care.
 
@Raffs - Oh.. I'm sending you all the positive healing vibes I can!!! Yes.. 6 months, with all the busy things in life, seems like a LONG time ago! (Are we DONE yet???) We just have to get you past your pain.. and I really think if you "relax" and let go of some the of exercises, your knee might "relax" too.. and not TALK to you so much???? I really hope that is it.. I'll be watching though.... anytime you need support, you ping me and I'll be there.. We are "knee sisters"!!!! :yes!:
 
Thank you!! No, we are not done yet! I haven't done any exercises this week - am taking heed!! Can't say how much it means knowing that my "sister" is there - thank you xx !!
 
Braunzie, good to hear from you. Sounds like your recovery is like the rest of us 6 months bonesmarties. I'm a little jealous of the steps and mileage a lot of you are getting in. I'm around 4,000 steps a day and trying to push to 5,000. My knee would go more, but I'm having some left foot problems that hamper my walking. Just glad I'm retired and don't have to worry about it that much....sorry, didn't mean to brag. So happy to catch up with my friends here!!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom