TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

I would have to say I agree with all of that. How's the clunking ? I still feel it most of the time. I try to walk with a "normal" stride, but I'm not quite there yet. It's kinda like I lock my knee out instead of putting full weight on it. Does that make sense ? It is getting stronger though. T minus 2 months till vacation !!
 
Hi Dear Friend! :flwrysmile:
Glad to hear your good report! I'm tracking along with you. Stairs are still a problem going down (thanks mostly to my old knee.) I'm staying busy, have been contacted by a gallery to represent my watercolors. I'm over the moon excited! Take care and keep counting down the time to retirement!
Hugs! ❤️❤️
 
@Majic -If you're doing OK with stairs - especially going down, I think you're doing better than I! LOL! I think it's not uncommon to think others are doing "better".. I think it's probably "different".. somethings are better than others and vise versa.. :yes:
I stopped taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol all at once. I just didn't feel it was really doing any good. .... The good news is that if you stop taking it and your knee hurts more, you can start taking it again! (But I didn't.... and over time, my knee hurt less and less.... :))
 
@Scrunchkins - Keep your eye on the future.. It will come! I was just thinking today that if early on I knew my knee would feel this way now, it would have helped a lot.. :yes!:
 
@cpd599 - hey there!! Glad to hear from you! I actually haven't thought about the "clunking" in a while.. If it's there, either I've been too busy or it's hardly anything.. or both? Two months, is a good amount of time to continue to improve.. My gate is getting more consistent, but still not without "going backwards" occasionally.. It will come.. :yes:
 
@Braunzie, Good morning! I was rereading your reply to me and I just wanted to say thank you. Your details make me feel better about my own recovery. People can say they are doing great and feel normal, although, what is normal? You detailing the little twinges, stiffness, tightness, let me know that what I am experiencing IS normal for me and it will be alright. I know I am months behind you, but you give me hope. Thank you. I hope this day finds you enjoying a blessing.
 
Hi @Braunzie Where do get pain when you stand for long? I get a burning pain under my knee where all the work is done and slightly into the shin where the prosthesis is hammered into place - what a lovely thought !!
This morning I visited a Chiropractor as recommended by Josephine to see why I get so much trouble with my left leg. It turns out that the muscle down the outside of this leg is so stiff and tight that it is making me walk flat footed on that side, hence the strange list to the side. Also my calves are very tight. She spent some time massaging it and gave me some exercises, I will go back next week. I wish I knew what my ROM was, how did you measure yours? I am going to come off the paracetamol as I don't think it is doing any good. I have started Naproxen for a few days as under my knee feels more inflamed than painful. Have also lowered seat on my static bike and can get right round with not much trouble. Things are looking up for both of us!
 
@Majic - Regarding standing too long.. Now that you ask, it's been a while since I've done that, as I know it doesn't make my knee happy. If I recall correctly, the "burning pain" sounds about right.. right at my knee, but I don't recall the pain in the shin.. Sounds like your chiropractor is a good find. :) My ROM was measured when I went into the doctor, but I think I recall @Josephine estimating someone's from a picture posted to her thread (posing a particular way)?? I think? You might ask her? :yes:
 
Oh yes, I remember that - I can estimate ROM if you can take get someone to take a picture of your knee bent to the (comfortable) max in one of these ways

[Bonesmart.org] Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?
 
Hi there. I am having one of those sleepless nights but unlike you I am not in Seattle. I wish we could sit down together over a class of wine to compare notes. The lingering pain and discomfort is unsettling. Today I cross-country skied for 2.5 miles, not a long ski but good. Our neighbor came with us so I was skiing with two men, neither of whom had a TKR. We all wanted to quit at the same time but obviously I am up tonight because my IT band is acting up. my husband of course is sound asleep. Not sure about my neighbor. :heehee:

I know we are all different but it is comforting to know you and a few others from the July sparklers are still hanging around. I think the residual sticky issues are tough to deal with---of course I am sure my anxiety has to do with the fact our 7-month anniversary is approaching.:bawl:
 
@Braunzie Thanks for asking Josephine for the photos for me, I will get my husband to take some for me. Your ROM is great at 140, I shall be surprised and pleased if mine is 120. @Wanttobebiking I think you're right that we are getting anxious about our aches and pains as our 7 months anniversaries approach. Others seem to be pain free, back at work knees forgotten. Just a few of us Sparklers hang on asking for advice and comforting each other. My problem is muscular, both tight and painful muscles and being unable to walk properly because of them. I also have stiffness in the mornings, and shin pains due I think to bad gait. Our weather is appalling and the weather so strong that on some days I have had to go back to two sticks to stand up. I just hope that we will all feel better as the weather improves.
Like you with your skiing I can ballroom dance easily and fairly painlessly, but can sometimes suffer afterwards.
 
@Wanttobebiking - I think it's GREAT that you can get out and cross country ski!!! - especially since you were obviously able to keep up with a couple guys who had no TKR!!! You go, girl!! :yes!: Sorry to hear about the follow on pain though.. Did you try icing?? I know how it is to miss out on sleep..

It's been absolutely beautiful here the last couple of days.. Warm and clear.. I can HARDLY wait for the spring and then summer to come! I really don't like the cold (or wet) weather.. You can take the girl out of SUNNY Southern California, but you can't take the Southern California out of the girl.. hahaha! :yes:

@Majic - Happy to help! :)
 
Hi there. I am having one of those sleepless nights but unlike you I am not in Seattle. I wish we could sit down together over a class of wine to compare notes. The lingering pain and discomfort is unsettling. Today I cross-country skied for 2.5 miles, not a long ski but good. Our neighbor came with us so I was skiing with two men, neither of whom had a TKR. We all wanted to quit at the same time but obviously I am up tonight because my IT band is acting up. my husband of course is sound asleep. Not sure about my neighbor. :heehee:

I know we are all different but it is comforting to know you and a few others from the July sparklers are still hanging around. I think the residual sticky issues are tough to deal with---of course I am sure my anxiety has to do with the fact our 7-month anniversary is approaching.:bawl:
I do feel guilty for not posting or visiting more often, but I have nothing new to report, except gradual improvement. Mea culpa. I do like to read how fellow Sparklers are doing, I just don't post much anymore. Should be more attentive. Will try to be in the future. :doh:
 
Hey Braunzie!
I sure have missed you! I went to Costco in ATL Sat before going to my daughter's 2 yr old son's birthday party and thought of you! Lol! How are the vacation plans coming???? We're not going to Europe this year. Too much going on to be comfortable... Besides I couldn't outrun anybody! :happydance:
Stay in touch!
Miss you! :loveshwr:
 
While I like winter a lot, I am much more of a beach bum and would rather be biking or swimming than skiing. I am off to Denver tomorrow.

@Rob 68 glad to hear improvement continues. Intellectually I know that...but so frustrating at times.

@Majic my issue is soft tissue too! Arghh!
 
@Thesoutherncook - vacation plans got a bit of a delay.. I was just starting to really begin to focus on arrangements and life events happened. My dad passed away. He was 95 and had been married to my mom for 66 years, and enjoyed really good health up to the very last few months.. We were so fortunate to have him in good health as long as we did, but still not an easy thing to go through. My husband and I flew down to Southern California for a week to help a bit and be there for the services. My dad had full military honors for his burial at the Riverside National (Military) Cemetery, so over all, while a tough week, it was a great celebration of his life.
Unfortunately, now we are dealing with family drama (one sibling especially - out of 5 of us).. We just need to make sure we do the most for Mom right now... She's 91 and really shouldn't be staying by herself, but she is a bit on the stubborn side.. It makes it more difficult being the one sibling who lives the furthest away from everyone. :sad:

On the UP side, tomorrow is 7 months since my surgery @Wanttobebiking - Happy Anniversary! @Rob 68 , same to you last week. @Thesoutherncook , same to you NEXT week!.. Happy 7 month anniversary to all July Sparklers!!!! :cheers: It's kind of nice to have the memories of the earlier days fade away and recognize that things do get incrementally better as time goes on.. :yes!:

@Rob 68 - We're happy to see you whenEVER you can come and visit! Glad things are going well!! :yes:
 
@Braunzie, I am so sorry to learn of your Dad's passing. What a blessing you had him as long as you did and he enjoyed relatively good health. The loss of a parent is a something we all face, but it is a loss that changes life. What an honor and tribute to your father to have full military honors. My husband's father was retired military and my husband is retired Navy. Your father served in a time when the world was at a different war and the sacrifices great. I honor and appreciate him for his service to our country.

Unfortunately, our siblings each bring their own memories, needs, and problems with them when it is time to settle estates and care for a parent. I have three brothers and each one of them is different and had different ideas how I should handle my mother's affairs. I cared for my mother while she was alive, and she was also very stubborn about her independence. Sometimes, we have to be the parent and make the hard decisions. My husband's siblings would not go against his mother's stubbornness and let her stay at home too long. She had an accident and was injured. It facilitated her move into assisted living in an unfortunate way.

You are in my prayers for peace and comfort during this time of loss. May your memories bring joy to you. Prayers also for your siblings to set aside their personal ideas and focus on your mother's needs.

Congratulations on 7 months!! I look forward to that day!
 
@Braunzie, so sorry to hear of the loss of your father. I lost my dad 7 years ago and my mom 4 years ago. I know what it's like to make sure the remaining parent is taken care of. We looked at assisted living for mom, but I knew that wasn't really a good option for her. So she stayed in her own home...which is only a few miles from me...until she died. That wound up being the best decision for us. My sister and I took turns staying with her for 3 months after dad died. At 3 months, I said I was going home. I thought it would force the issue and she would come and live with me....of course, that did not work. But being so close by, we could keep a good eye on her. Praying that you will find the best solution for her.

At 7 months, I think my knee is about the same as the rest of you. I still have pain above and below the knee, but I very rarely take anything for it. I was taking Celebrex, but stopped that a few months ago. Next time I see the OS is for my one-year visit in July. I keep reading here that it takes a full year to recover and I'm counting on that!!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom