Revision THR Branluc has moved over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to be home. Bored as can be. Thank goodness for my iPad and tv. I misbehaved and vacuumed. But I feel fine. Nurse came everything looks good. Been doing my exercises, icing, leg up, resting. Just needed to do a little cleaning. Makes me feel good. Let me stress I was overly cautious and now resting . Thru and thru I totally get it. There is no switch to turn off anxiety. I just had to go through the motions and accept the fact that this had to be and the other side is the reward. Good luck tomorrow!!!!! Saying you'll be fine is soooo true but you'll find that out for yourself, trust me!!!!
 
Oh my, you truly are a bionic woman! Cleaning already? Glad to hear you are taking it easy now, you need that energy to heal. :)
 
Congratulations on your surgery- you are so right on about being so over-whelmed with fear but I think most of us fear the unknown. I wore my self out with worries and concern but had a peace once the day arrived. Woke up in room hours later and wow was amazed. Keep up the good work and one day , one moment at a time.
 
Sorry for not checking in. Been very frustrated. Feeling as if its taking too long to progress
Not sleeping well at all. Just can't get comfortable. Taking pain meds and sleeping
Meds so with little sleep I'm a bit loopy all day. My leg is still very stiff. My PT tells me I'm doing
fine. I think a good nights sleep will help but I don't know how to get it
Anyone relate?
 
Branluc it sounds to me, judging from what I've read on other people's recovery threads, that you are doing very well indeed! You're only 9 days post-op, cut yourself some slack :) Loopy is fine! Enjoy it!! :cheers2:
PT says you're doing fine, I would agree (unless of course they make you do something that hurts, in which case you have to say NO thank you.)
Have you read the library article on sleep issues? Let me see if i can find it...and if this will autosave while I do...woohoo it did! Here's the link:
Sleep Deprivation is Inevitable
While you're there, cruise around and see all the wonderful library resources. Reading them will reassure you about so many things. I'm trying to memorize some of that stuff, so I can self-talk myself post-op if I'm too logey to run a computer LOL.
Post, post, post!! We are here for you, but we don't know what you need till you tell us :console2: :friends: :thumb:
 
Thank you so much for that information. I will definitely read the link. The nights are so long and exhausting trying to get comfortable. It's a total work out and very depressing as well. I try and walk as much as possible but its not easy. The ache in my leg is severe and I think I'm afraid of hurting myself . I don't want to do anything that might slow the recovery process.
 
Branluc There's an article about activity progression floating around too, probably under "A" in the library. It says that for the second week you should be resting, walking to the kitchen for a snack and the bathroom for a pit stop, and I think 5-10 minutes walking around the house 2 times a day Not "walking as much as possible". :) Are you loading up on pain meds? I understand you should be on them for weeks to come, so that you will be comfortable so that your energy can go to healing rather than towards trying to overcome depression. I know how you feel-- it's exhausting just working so hard to get comfortable. But if you are not getting adequate pain relief from what you were prescribed, and if you don't have any special issues with pain meds, it might be time either to start taking them by the clock in order to stay ahead of the pain and aches, at the maximum prescribed dose, or to call your dr and get things sorted out!
All this stuff I'm just quoting from what I've read here on this site-- it is not from personal experience. Yet!:heehee:
I've read people's comments about sleeping in bed for an hour or so, having to get up to move around and get the blood running again, sitting in a chair for awhile and doze maybe, then going back to bed for another hour or so, repeat till you get hungry or have to pee! I can't remember who said what, so you will have to just read all the active threads to see who has experienced what! It will keep you entertained at night when you are not sleepy :)
Go back to your post-op thread and see who posted there in support-- then come back here and tag them-- remember @ sign followed by their name, which autocompletes below the text field, click on that and you're all set. Then they will know to come help cheer you up and lecture you :):friends: Friends, you haz them!!!!!!!!
 
And how could i forget??!? The BoneSmart Mantra! Rest, Ice, Medicate, Elevate !
You only had two days here before surgery, so you didn't have much time to snoop around and check things out. Now you have time to kill-- what better use for it than to become a recovery expert! :)
 
Interesting you brought up the pain meds I opted for the non narcotic version but pulled out the script for the narcotic one and am going to have my daughter fill it for me today. I have been taking the other one with the Tylenol and the Celebrex but its quite obvious that its not strong enough and I need to do what's best for me. I was apprehensive about taking narcotics but its time. As for the walking the pt advises a little bit every hour. What I meant was I'm trying to do it every hour but have skipped some here and there so I'm doing my best. I'm not all that computer savvy but will do my best to figure out . Thanks again for all of your valuable info. I was feeling quite alone but was just feeling too exhausted to even go back to this forum.
 
Oh ((( Branluc ))) Don't worry about getting addicted. Your body will become dependent on them, but that is a whole different animal-- you will have less and less pain and will find yourself forgetting to take a dose, and weaning starts naturally. This I speak from personal experience :)
Let's see if I can pull up that list of important things that the mods post, once again hoping that the autosave feature works!
Here is the mantra...
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds

Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Activity progression for THR
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

There's the basic list that the mods post every now and again. Just click on each blue word/phrase, and it will take you to that article. When you want to come back here, click your browser's back button. My first few days here I was back-ing and forth-ing and panicking that i would lose my place and not be able to find my way home-- but I've learned the geography now :) Easy for me to say, huh.
 
Branluc, you'll be ok. It's really 2 steps forward, 1 back. Just because the PT says to walk every hour doesn't mean you have to hurt yourself. And take all the pain meds you need right now. Just remember to taper off as you start to feel better, so you continue to feel well. (I stopped abruptly and had withdrawal symptoms for a few days.). Hang in there, it gets easier. XO
 
Thank you again. I have lots of reading to do. It is very helpful to see that I'm not alone or behind in my recovery.
 
Branluc, what you are going through is totally normal. Read the articles Chris posted - sleep is a major issue post-op for everyone. I agree with getting those pain meds right. Get the script and take them regularly. YOU WILL NOT get addicted (sorry for shouting)! You need meds to get moving.

Nap when you can and remember - all this is temporary! Hang in there!
 
Thank you Jaycey. I need a little yelling. And thanks ( everyone) for the encouraging words.
 
Branluc hope you're doing ok. I'm glad its over.... now get better. Xxxxx
Aud
 
Branluc in addition to the walking you are doing, are you doing a bunch of
leg exercises? I remember the leg swings, both inside and out, as well as
front to back, the leg lifts (like a marching motion), the stairs or small stepper
box, up and down. the night time will get better, i probably was more uncomfortable
at nite that i was in pain, just couldn't bet comfortable.
it does get better, need some more time. i walking a lot is causing a lot of pain
maybe you should take it easy for a few days and see how thing go, if you feel
better you'll know to take it slower.
and don't forget, you are only a week into this!
but, you are on the other side now, and you WILL be feeling better soon, and
then you will start seeing some great progression in your recovery. it won't be
long and you'll be outside for a spring walk in the sun!
 
Hi there. I did nothing the first week, nothing!!!! And very little in week 2, except for the basic bed exercises I was given at the hospital. It was a little different for me, I was on 50 percent weight bearing for a while. But nothing terrible will happen if you take it easy and just waddle back and forth to the bathroom. I think you've got the message about pain control.....very few people who undergo such invasive surgery can manage without narcotics. I just want to reiterate that feeling depressed and vulnerable is completely normal. You still have anaesthetic in your system and will have for some time. And you can expect fits of the blues, with the weepies, to hit you at any time for seemingly no reason. Read all the support material you can: Knowledge is power. Knowing that you are recovering at a normal rate is very comforting. Don't do anything that hurts: as Josephine always says so sensibly, hips have a way of taking care of themselves. I am living proof that its true: you don't need to kill yourself with therapy just take it slow and steady. Recovery takes lots of patience.... that's probably our biggest challenge.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom