Revision THR Branluc has moved over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Branluc, sorry to hear you've been having a hard time. Everyone is different and needs different levels of pain relief, so please don't compare your recovery to anyone else's, as you read other people's threads. I hope you get get this sorted soon, being comfortable pain wise will help your recovery a lot. I did very little at week two. Just one 10 minute walk and lots of resting, sleeping and icing. Every time I sat or lay down I put that ice pack on. Let us know how you are doing. Isn't zauberflöte a sweetie?
 
Whats the old saying " Rome wasn't built in a day" Well nether was a new hip. Baby steps will get you on the healing road.
 
Branluc, I can't really add much to all the advice you've been given. But I can agree with all of it! Staying on top of the pain is the no.1 thing to do. I haven't had a lot of pain (except for first couple of days) but I have noticed some as we begin the weaning off process. The GP said "try to just take Tramadol once a day". Well I tried it. The first day I didn't take one in the morning, and I had more pain thru the day. The next day I didn't take one at night, and I woke up around midnight in pain and took an endone. So I have backtracked a little and still take tramadol twice a day. I wasn't ready. I'll try again in a week. I have been on tramadol for almost a year so I am busting to finally get off it. The good news is prior to surgery I was taking 200mg slow release twice a day, and now I only take 50mg twice a day, so I'm almost there.
Like everyone says, it's early days. Yes, you need to lightly exercise your hip, but you need to rest it too and let it recover.
I have my weepy days, and thanks to this forum I found out that is normal. That is the best part of this forum. You shouldn't compare yourself to others, but it's good to hear other's experiences. Some are like yours, some aren't. We are all in the same boat, just sitting at different places. :)
 
I honestly don't remember the type of meds I was on and for how long except I got off the narcotic ones ASAP since I was so stopped up. I'm no good with pain so I'm sure I was taking it as long as I had much pain. Like others, I was doing nothing the first week and very darned little in the second. The walking I did was to the bathroom or to get something to snack on (hubby was still providing meals to me in my recliner). As for the sleeping, have you tried sleeping in a recliner? Mine WAS my bed for over a week.

The blues? Oh yeah. I remember standing in the kitchen bursting into tears because I didn't think I was recovering fast enough, and from what I read here, many of us are way too impatient and have too high expectations. I thought I would be able to go back to babysitting with my 1&3 year old grandchildren in a couple of weeks until others here set me straight quite firmly! Some take off running and some of them end up doing harm to themselves. Slow and steady, tortoise. Slow and steady.
 
Cookie that is so right. Impatience is terrible, you feel not bad, overdo it, then suffer and get upset at not being up to speed. But if we take our time and let ourselves strengthen at a good pace, we'll be fine. X
I have to remember it.
Aud
 
You need your pain meds! Good ones! Take the maximum dose prescribed for now, and don't take them on an empty stomach. Try Haagen-Dasz; you can lose the 5 pounds later when you can walk pain free.

Please don't do anything in PT that hurts. Our brilliant Josephine has said many times that hips sort themselves out just fine.

You need to chill (and ice!), be lazy and sleep when you feel like dozing off. Get something good to read or video to watch when you're not sleepy, walk when you feel like it.

Please keep coming back for updates. Lots of BoneSmart warriors here to support you:SUNsmile:
 
Hi Branluc,
Sorry to hear you are feeling low. As the others have said it is early days and you need to be gentle with yourself. Take pain meds to get comfortable and go easy on the exercise. Post when you can. Putting how you feel in writing can help. Also if something is bothering you someone on here will have a solution. Take care and Happy healing
Barbara
 
Sissy.... I was eating loads and I thought, I must be piling on weight. But I've lost a few pounds. My hubby said my body is using the extra for healing. Yep.... Hagan das sounds good. Lol
Aud
 
Update. Got the narcotics. Got some sleep last night. Not a great night but much better than before. Unfortunately my friend's 26 year old son died after a 6 month battle with leukemia. I went to the funeral this morning. I did pretty well walking but had major problems getting back ups my front steps. By then I was pretty tired so that made it all the more difficult. My daughter was with me and helped me but it was extremely difficult and of course made me feel so dependent. Resting now. Yes I have been doing the exercises the pt suggested. (Marching, lifting etc). Don't know about the"stepper box" but after today I will be inquiring about it. Sounds like something I can definitely benefit from. Thanks for the ongoing support
 
Just saw the hagan das suggestion. Might be just what the dr ordered. Thanks.
 
Thank you. It was a very physically and emotionally exhausting day. I am doing all of the above except the hagan das. Don't have any ;( hopefully I can rectify that in the very near future.
 
Branluc, I am so sorry for your friend-- such a terrible loss. You are a hero for having gone to the funeral so soon after surgery. My husband had major back surgery (it took 7 hours) in 2009, and a few days after he came home from the hospital, his sister, her husband and their 97 year old mother drove down from Massachusetts to see him. About 4 miles from our house as they were getting off the parkway, the car was bit by someone who ran a red light, and my mother in law was killed in the accident. (My sister in law was driving. She and her husband were ok. She was stopped, it wasn't her fault.). My poor husband had to bury his mother not 2 weeks after back surgery. It was awful for him, the cemetery was an hour's drive from our house,and it was so uncomfortable for him to sit, but he wouldn't miss his mother's funeral. You are a hero for being there for your friend. I hope you continue to feel better.
 
Branluc, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend! You're so very brave to make the effort to go to the funeral so soon after your own surgery, I'm sure that was very difficult for you.

Continue to feel better! :)
 
BarbaraR. I am so sorry for all that you've been through. Just awful. I was determined to get there today. The young man that died was a true fighter and an inspiration to me when I was dwelling on my surgery. My friend , his mother, was the most devoted mom you can imagine. She stayed by hear sons side for the 6 months that he fought his battle. I will admit it was a bit difficult and I am a bit wary for it but I am so glad I was able to make it.
 
I'm glad for you that you were able to make it, too. My mother in law was 97 and it was a quick peaceful death-- a blessing really. Your friend's son was so young... Such a tragedy.
 
Question for all. Have any of you had an experience where you took a step And felt something like a grinding or crunching sensation with a shot of pain down the leg? My second time today. Still in pain. Dr wants to take an X-ray tomorrow. Needless to say the terror is back. PT was here. She feels that since I was still able to walk with the wAlker it may not be too serious but something is definitely not right
 
hey Branluc ! I think I saw Josephine write on somebody's thread, "pain is pain, treat it with medication"? But you are having an xray tomorrow, so please put your terror aside until then-- there's nothing you can do about it now except ice/elevate/medicate/rest/read to it/sing it songs/let it watch a movie LOL :) Call it a day on the terror? I DO understand how it is to have your life run by what-ifs; I live that way alllll the time. I'm working on giving iit up..... let's work on it together :)
 
I feel for you and understand the worry this is causing you, I would be too! We are thinking of you. Remember that Bach remedy you have, and the deep relaxing breathing. Sending you some cyber hugs. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom