THR Benne's 2nd THR Recovery

Catching up... GREAT milestones for you and I love the sensible approach of increasing your walking distance house by house - I did it similarly in the early days of community walking on my new knees.
 
Milestone: My Fitbit tells me I've averaged more than 3500 steps/day for the past 4 days. Not all at once, of course, but spread out over two walks, plus ADL activities. I'm using the cane to maintain proper gait and I ice and elevate as soon as I get back from my "longer" morning and afternoon walks (about 10 minutes each).
Progress is slow but it's happening. :walking:
 
That's really good! I'm so pleased you're going in the right direction. Slow is perfect :)
 
That’s a good amount of moving. I break up my walks over course of the day. 2 miles to start then around noon another 2 miles. Then before dinner I might do a mile just around my neighborhood.
Plus just the walking you do in market or other stores. It all adds up at the end of the day.
 
Five weeks today! And I've seen big improvements this past week.
  • My gait is almost back to normal, even without the cane, although I still use it when I leave the house. Concentrating on heel-toe walking has really pays off!
  • I've logged 5,000+ steps the past two days without any after effects.
  • Standing for extended periods -- like to prepare a meal -- is much easier.
  • Pain is almost gone; just some occasional discomfort. Ice and elevation a couple of times a day is all I need. Haven't taken pain meds at all this week.
  • Energy level is improving. I no longer need that afternoon nap ... although I still enjoy it. :wink:
Still to come:
  • I'm not yet doing stairs reciprocally (up or down) since I don't have enough power in my operated leg yet. But I want to give healing more time before I start any strengthening exercises.
  • Sitting in one place for longer than 15 minutes is still uncomfortable, even with a nice soft cushion.
  • Getting into and out of the car is still a bit of a contortionist's performance but it's getting easier.
I have my six-week follow-up with the surgeon next week. Assuming X-ray looks good, I'll be able to move into the next phase of recovery.
 
Hi Deb,
Isn't it wonderful how quickly we can bounce back after the trauma of major surgery.
The human body is amazing! Sounds like some real progress over the last week.
Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@benne68
 
That’s a wonderful report!!! I’m so happy to hear you’re making this great progress.
 
It sounds like your progress is sustained and the things that are still challenging will just happen naturally as you heal.more and slowly do more. :yes!:
 
Update is wonderful.
And I’m sure your short list of “still to come” issues will be right on track as well.
The sitting in one place for any amount of time can be frustrating cause folks want to visit or you might want to go out for a lunch & that prolonged sitting is just impossible.
I met a lifetime girlfriend for lunch yesterday & sat for close to 2 hours at the bar & when I finally needed to use the restroom I was so stiff! Of course once I took a few steps I was fine but I still don’t enjoy sitting for long periods.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
 
Brilliant news, I'm so happy to hear your recovery is going so smoothly. Wonderful to be off pain killers already :flwrysmile:
 
Had my 6-week follow-up with my surgeon (2 days early since he's going out of town): X-rays look good, incision looks good, gait looks good.

He dismissed me until my one-year check-up, telling me that I'm "boring". :heehee:

This has been a surprisingly smooth recovery so far (despite the little hiccup at two weeks). I plan to continue to prioritize walking for a few more weeks, then will see my PT for help with regaining flexibility before returning to my yoga class.
 
@benne68 Oh, that's wonderful news, Deb. Boring is okay in this case! Blessings for continued good healing and continued meeting milestones. They may be fewer and more spread out but still important on this journey. I'm just so happy for you! :loveshwr:
 
@benne68 I think most doctors - especially surgeons - like "boring" (aka doing really well and not needing much in terms of hand holding) patients! :yes!:
 
Hooray!!! I’m so happy for you.
 
Congrats! It's great to be dismissed after the 6-week visit. I think that gives some confidence that the come and go pains that follow are just the normal stuff because the OS has confirmed that the implant has taken well. Onward and upward!
 
Boring is good!!! Nobody ever wants their healthcare person to say "well... that's... interesting" :yes:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom