THR Benne's 2nd THR Recovery

Good report. Sounds like what I had, and it cleared up pretty quickly. If it doesn't, I expect he'll prescribe an antibiotic cream just in case.

"Everything looks good" is always good to hear.
 
I'm glad the rash wasn't serious. Although mine was pretty bad, as soon as the dressing was off, it cleared up pretty quickly. I've found an antihistamine really effective, especially for bed time when it's easy to scratch without knowing in your sleep.
 
This sounds good. I’m betting the open air exposure will have you healing up in no time.
 
Two weeks today ... and just when I thought things were going smoothly, I hit a bump in the road.

Managed to lose my balance yesterday while slipping off my shoes. While I didn't fall, I torqued my surgical leg enough to strain some muscles. I had a few worried moments when I heard a pop and felt a stab of pain but, thankfully, it's just a strain. (Home nurse came by to check on me.)

Perhaps I was getting a bit cocky: my home PT had just "graduated" me from the walker to the cane and I logged about 3500 steps on my Fitbit on Wednesday. So this is a good reminder to me not to become over confident!

For now, I'm back to using the walker for support, cutting back on steps, and spending more time on icing and elevating to let the unhappy soft tissues recover. Glad we didn't have any plans for the holiday weekend!

Happy 4th to all of you in the U.S.!
 
Glad you survived your near miss fall, sorry about the soft tissue irritation. Hope it settles down soon.
I am impressed with 3500 steps at two weeks.
Happy 4th!
 
I am impressed with 3500 steps at two weeks.
Turns out that was overdoing it! :bignono:

Since my last surgery was a knee replacement, I think I was comparing this recovery to that one (rather than my first hip replacement). I thought things were going swimmingly -- until they weren't!

As my husband said to me last night: "You tell everyone to go slow and steady. You need to practice what you preach."
 
Your husband is a wise man. Sometimes it's easier to be the coach than the player. But you know that if you just step back for a day or two and let things calm down, you'll be right back on pace. You're entering week 3, and I expect that a week from now you will be happy with your improvement.
 
@benne68 I am so glad you did not fall! Hopefully those twinges will be gone quickly. Some times I think this website needs calming background music to remind everyone who comes here that slow and easy is the best way to heal from ANY joint replacement! Alas too often our brain's "gotta get things done" does not listen to the body saying "Nope, not yet".
 
too often our brain's "gotta get things done" does not listen to the body saying "Nope, not yet".
Funny story about this:

A few years ago, my husband and I were on a Nile River cruise. It was a small group, so we got to know our fellow travelers well. One of them was an orthopedic surgeon (hip & knee) traveling with his wife. They were great fun to spend time with, but he walked slowly with a cane and limped a great deal on our outings.

Turns out he had just had a hip replacement -- 8 weeks earlier!! His wife tried to convince him to delay the trip, but he insisted he could do it. His excuse was that it was his first joint replacement and he didn't realize how long it would take him to recover. :rotfl:
 
That is a funny story and it just proves what we’ve always said. Our surgeons are totally clueless about the recovery end of joint replacement surgery unless they’ve had the surgery themselves.
 
Thank goodness you didn’t fall. And you know the drill! Rest ice and repeat!
It took me a while to learn my body’s cues but once I did I just gave into it. Realized no matter what was on my “to do” list for the day once the hip said “enough” than it was enough and ice and rest. Rest periods did become shorter over time but I’m one of those that once I decide to get something done it’s has to get done. Patience was another lesson I had to learn.
 
Sorry you lost your balance and for the resulting pain, benne. I hope it eases quickly. The ONLY good thing about these frightening incidents is they help keep us in check. Slow, steady and cautious.
Happy Saturday!
@benne68
 
I bet you had such a fright! I'm thankful you were not hurt and everything checked out OK. Definitely slow and steady wins the race but I sympathise. I get so bored of slow and steady, I end up having a blow out. It always back fires and I always regret it :heehee:
 
Well, I'm happy to report the rash has cleared significantly. The area around the incision is still pinkish, but not the fiery red it was a few days ago. Itchiness is completely gone and the incision looks good (or so my husband tells me, since I can't see it :wink: ). Still so strange that I had a reaction this time around.

Meanwhile, I'm nursing the muscle strain with extra rest, icing and elevation. Won't be counting steps again for a while!
 
I'm so glad you didn't have a complete fall. Yes, I think your husbands handed out some sound advice to you.
 
Day 18

The good news:
- Rash is completely gone.
- Sleep is much improved.
- Pain level is low -- only need 500 mg acetaminophen/8 hours. Haven't needed an oxycodone in days.

However:
- Still dealing with that muscle strain. Don't want to risk another stumble. so sticking with the walker until it resolves.

I have to admit that my Patience Muscle needs a good workout; it seems to have atrophied again.... :heehee:!!!
 
Glad to hear that you’ve made these steps forward. You’ll conquer that patience thing….I’m sure of it.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom