THR Benne's 2nd THR Recovery

THAT'S a milestone :cheers:
 
You are definitely having a wonderful recovery! That's pretty good going for 9 weeks after surgery. It's amazing how quickly time passes, seems only yesterday you had your second hip. :yes!:
 
Wow….I’m impressed!! What a great day.
 
This surgery really is amazing. I limped into the hospital yesterday on a cane and in awful pain. Even the first time I got up post-op, I could stand up straight and walk heel – toe. While I know that there will be recovery pain ahead, it’s wonderful to be rid of that arthritis pain.
I remember that so well, the relief at being able to stand up straight. It seems somewhat different for TAR but I'm hopeful the strength will come. Best wishes for your hip progress
@benne68
 
You are definitely having a wonderful recovery!
I still have plenty of recovery to go, including regaining strength in my thigh muscles (working on that with my PT), but I'm very happy with where I am at this point.

I've been very intentional about applying everything I've learned here on BoneSmart as well as from my other surgeries and recoveries.

The things I did before surgery -- like 2 months of pre-hab PT and focusing on good nutrition -- definitely set me up for a good recovery. Following BoneSmart's philosophy about exercise post-surgery has allowed me to progress without big setbacks. And, I'm sure having two strong knees and a strong right hip (thanks to prior surgeries) that can carry the load for this newest hip makes a difference too.

Here's to happy joints!
 
I think anyone having a hip replacement (or other joint replacement) should be given a handout prior to the surgery to join BoneSmart.
I couldn’t have done the recovery w/o the knowledge from here. And no one understands recovery other than those that have had the surgery!
So happy your recovery is going well.
 
I agree with you totally @myglasshalffull

I was totally lost with it all prior to surgery and when I consider the lack of information and guidance offered from the hospital first time around, I shudder! Whilst they attempt to give you all the information, I don't think they appreciate that emotional and practical support go hand in hand. They don't understand that what they say doesn't always make complete sense or seem appropriate. It sounds fine until we experience it and then it's all a bit confusing.

@benne68

I thinks doing prehab physio helped me a lot this time too! Bonesmart have a fantastic philosophy and so many of us are benefiting!
 
Last edited:
I totally agree. I am supposed to have surgery next month. None of the consultants I saw gave me a fraction of the information I got from Bonesmart and all you wonderful members. I would have no idea about prehab, equipment to buy or rent for my recovery or what to expect. The hospital just send general admission information booklets and they only thing they are concerned with is how they will get their money.
 
I love your post @myglasshalffull
I can't imagine my recovery without the support, advice, encouragement received here, nor the mischief I entertained myself with, with my new friends, as I began my healing journey. :heehee:
BoneSmart likely saves OS's lots of frantic calls in those early weeks over some of the trivial things we worry about only to find that others are experiencing or have experienced the same. I could write a list, but I've already derailed, benne's, thread enough. :wink:
Hey benne...have a great day! :egypdance:
 
12 weeks post-op: Sorry that I haven't posted in a couple of weeks!

Things had been going well, with slow but steady improvement -- until this past weekend, when I decided to do some gardening. I spent about an hour clearing the weeds out of my flower beds and pruning back some plants. The hip did fine, but the next morning I woke up with intense pain in the hamstrings on my surgical leg. I couldn't walk more than a short distance without pain.

I tried to stretch it out with some yoga, but that made it worse. My PT did an assessment and concluded that I had overstretched the muscle. He instructed me to cut back on my walks for a few days and to stop all exercises that create stretching until things settle.

Yikes, who knew you could stretch too much? :oyvey:

It really is a roller-coaster ride, isn't it? I'm already feeling better and hope a few more days of rest will let things get back to where I was a week ago.
 
That's must be so frustrating! Just when your new hip says, we're off to play in the garden, that miserable party pooping hamstring, said no. I guess you were doing a little bit more with your posture with all of those gardening moves. It amazes me how sometimes seemingly insignificant activity can be the thing that kicks. I've experienced pulling my hamstring during my last recovery. It felt pretty bad but resolved in about 2 days as rapidly as it came on. Hope yours will be nice and get better quickly!
 
Booooo! Hisssss!! Not fair!

Our new joints sometimes just don’t understand they need to get with the program. Good thing you figured out you needed to stop and rest up a bit, though. You’ll be back to those forward steps very soon. Our bodies certainly can speak loudly to us sometimes, can’t they.
 
Oh I feel for you in every way. You’ll soon be back in the garden.
Wow you’re 3 months on and I’m 2 months on. :flwrysmile:

Seems only a moment since we were both pre op!
Take care.
 
Ouch!
Yep what I learned doing martial arts is overstreching, especially a muscle that hasn't been warmed with gentle range of motion and movement, can create problems.
 
So sorry to read about this set back but I’m sure that’s all it is, a brief set back.
Rest & ice will have you back in action in no time I’m sure.
Happy to read your PT advised you to back off walking for a few days. Slow & steady wins this race.
 
Hi @benne68 Any news on your progress since the hamstring setback? You are so encouraging to everyone else I was just wondering how you are doing now that you are into the fourth month since your latest op.
Best wishes.
 
Nice of you to ask, @Newhip_Pol . I'm much improved. Didn't realize I hadn't updated in a while.

The hamstring tendon was badly overstretched, so my PT had me quit all exercise for a couple of days, then added some movements to simply activate that muscle group -- with no stretching. As I improved, we progressed to some exercises designed to balance front to back, medial to lateral. I'm doing this routine every other day to give the soft tissues time to recover between sessions.

It's definitely helped. I did a two-mile walk yesterday without discomfort.

Now, we just need to get my left and right legs back in balance. After 4 joint replacements in 5-1/2 years, that's sure to be a bit of a challenge, but I'll get there with time. :wink:
 
Sounds like a sane approach and good progress - all any of us can hope for - and that rebalancing is sure to come.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom