THR Benne's 2nd THR Recovery

I'm glad to hear your hamstring is calming down with your adjusted physio routine. A two mile walk is a great achievement! Rebalancing is quite a challenge with multiple joints. As my right leg recovers I'm noticing more and more little issues with my left. I think it's been over used so much carrying the left that it's quite out of whack and I have to really focus on not letting it be too dominant.
 
I think it's been over used so much carrying the left that it's quite out of whack and I have to really focus on not letting it be too dominant.
Exactly! I have to keep reminding myself that it took a looonngg time for my body to become "out of balance" so I need to be patient about getting everything back into alignment. We'll both get there, with time!
 
Well, I missed posting my 4-month update in October because I was wandering around some old vineyards and villages in Burgundy and Provence, France -- sampling wonderful wines and cheese and Burgundian foods.

My newest hip did quite well. We walked between 4-5 miles most days, although our pace was pretty leisurely. On the more intense days, I did have a bit of soft tissue ache in the evening. Only needed Tylenol a couple of times, especially after climbing up and down several stories of ancient stone steps in some castles. .

I know there is more improvement ahead for this hip, but I could not be happier with how all four of my replacement joints are performing. Life is good!
 
Tomorrow will be the 6-month anniversary for my new hip. I'm happy to report that it is doing well. :yes!:

Despite a few bumps along the way, this recovery has progressed more quickly than that of my first hip replacement. With the help of my physical therapist, I've resolved the hamstring and glute issues that were getting in the way of full recovery. Happily, my gait is now even. My balance is great. And I'm regularly logging 8000-9000 steps on my FitBit without any discomfort.

I still have occasional niggles -- mostly from my tight piriformis -- and am working on that with some targeted exercises and my mini-massager.

But most days, I can actually "forget" I had surgery. I am truly pain free for the first time in years. I have no sense of restricted movement and can do just about anything I want without hesitation.

I am thankful for all the guidance and support I've received here from the BoneSmart staff and my fellow BoneSmarties. Couldn't have made this journey without you.
 
Brava, @benne68 I do love the "forget" part. That, I think, is a true sign of a successful joint replacement! :egypdance:
 
@benne68 What a great update. This is one time that forgetting is a good thing! Those hamstrings and glutes seem to be the bug-a-boos, don’t they. Those are the same areas I’ve struggled with. Was there anything in particular that seemed to help the most with them?
 
@Hip4life I have to credit my PT credit for "fixing" my glute and hamstring problems. He has a very personalized approach. Each time I saw him, he put me through some movements to assess my weak areas -- and then kept tweaking the exercises in order to work just the right muscle groups (which, of course, changed over time!). He was very specific about isolating certain muscles rather than working the entire leg. It was a slow process, but I was patient and it paid off.
 
Those are my problem areas as well, and my therapist also is constantly evaluating and changing exercises and pressure point or massage therapy areas. We talk constantly as she’s pushing and probing… “that’s tender,” “that feels good,” “it hurt at first for a second but now it doesn’t” … I think that really helps a good therapist know where to focus. And I definitely agree with @benne68 that it’s a moving target most of the time! Add in a little lower back pain and it really gets fun.
 
I was so happy to read your 6 month update! It's wonderful when everything begins to feel normal and especially pain free! I was out walking yesterday and was suddenly aware that my left leg felt completely normal. Was such a great feeling. Poor left leg has been completely ignored since my recent surgery and just got normal without me noticing.
 
Just realized that I haven't updated this recovery thread since my six-month anniversary and I just passed 11 months! Time does fly when you're having fun ... and I really have been having fun.

These past months have been filled with joy: a new grandbaby, travel, sailing, hiking. And all four new joints (well not all "new" any longer) are working superbly.

My newest hip was replaced last June and I can honestly say that I don't even think about it any more. All the soft tissue twinges and tweaks are long gone. There's no stiffness or soreness. Stability and flexibility are great.

When I started on this multiple joint replacement journey 7 years ago, I was afraid that I'd never get back to the activities I enjoy. Clearly, I was wrong. It's been a journey and it has taken time, but I'm glad I chose to pursue it. I truly do have a new lease on life.

For those who are just getting started: Trust the BoneSmart process. Practice patience. Be kind to yourself during recovery. And have faith that you will get better and be able to return to doing things you love..
 
Wonderful update @benne68 ! I am delighted to hear your journey through multiple joint replacements has been so successful and that you are now striding along pain free and enjoying the new phase of your life's path. :loveshwr::yes!::cheers2:
 
@benne68 What a wonderful update and testimonial, Deb. It is a process that can be pretty intense at the beginning but that’s such a small part of it. It is keeping your eye on the life you’ll get back after some patience and work. I think we agree it is definitely worth it. Keep enjoying that life. You’re an inspiration! :)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom