THR Benne's 2nd THR Recovery

@benne68 I am so glad to hear things are going well for you :) But oh if only patience came in pill form :heehee:
 
Good to hear you're sleeping well. Everything feels better after a good sleep. As for the patience muscle, you'll find some hanging around the foyer of the ODIC club. That's where I usually pick up a spare :heehee:
 
Glad to see you’re doing ok despite falling. I’m going to need patience for sure.
Still flat out busy preparing but making progress. I’ll be getting a rest after even if I don’t sleep.
 
@benne68 so glad the rash and itch are gone and things are looking up. Yeah, that darned old patience muscle gets us every time! I had to chuckle after my TKR when Doc, Vangie and the PT all said now you just have to not overdo it because you are entirely too energetic for just having surgery. I looked at them and said its almost like you know me! :heehee:

You're doing great, just let your body be your guide. I know, preaching to the choir. :friends:
 
Sounds like you have rounded the corner, with the early days behind you. Slow and easy will get you there. :walking:
 
Three weeks post-op.

The muscle strain seems to have resolved, but I'm sticking with the walker for a bit longer to be sure there are no more "uh-ohs"!

I'm surprised by how much the fatigue has improved in this past week compared with my first hip recovery. I'm sleeping better at night and no longer need to nap every afternoon (although some days I crash around 3pm)!

Now able to help with meal prep; nothing elaborate, but it feels good to accomplish some small tasks.

Also been getting outdoors a couple of times each day to enjoy our garden -- which is in full bloom -- before the rabbits and deer eat every single flower...:censored: It's been hot and humid, but there's still something restorative about being out in nature.

Little by little. Feeling better each day.
 
Great to hear you are feeling better and have more energy. Wise to stick with the walker until you are feeling stronger.
Enjoy your garden, day by day we get there.
 
I remember how much better everything felt at the three week mark. Wonderful to hear things are settling in and that you are able to enjoy the garden :)
 
Nice update and only two days away from your one month anniversary...but four weeks today!
Best wishes to you, benne!
@benne68
 
Thanks, Layla. Four weeks today and big improvements from a week ago.

I'm moving much better and have felt confident enough to switch back to the cane. My outdoor walks -- one in the morning and one in the evening -- have been comfortable. I'm adding a tiny bit of distance each day, but taking things slowly -- just one more house at a time.

Standing is also getting easier -- I've been able to prep lunch and dinner the past few days.

Sleep is much better -- probably because of the increase in movement during the day, but also because I am now able to sleep on my side, being careful to keep a pillow between my knees. (Another two weeks until restrictions are lifted, though.)

Overall, and in spite of my early setback, this recovery seems to be easier than hip #1.
 
Sleep is much better -- probably because of the increase in movement during the day, but also because I am now able to sleep on my side, being careful to keep a pillow between my knees. (Another two weeks until restrictions are lifted, though.)
wow you've had a lot of surgeries
sorry to see that

if you don't mind me asking, were you able to sleep in a bed from the start?
do you have to sleep on your back all this time or is it just too uncomfortable to sleep on your side at first?
 
Lovely to hear :flwrysmile: So pleased it is going well. It sounds like a well paced and gentle recovery. Only increasing by one house at a time is really sensible.
 
if you don't mind me asking, were you able to sleep in a bed from the start?
do you have to sleep on your back all this time or is it just too uncomfortable to sleep on your side at first?
Yes, I've been able to sleep in bed from my first day home after each of my surgeries -- including this latest. I personally find the bed more comfortable than our recliner, which bothered my back.

With both of my hip replacements, my surgical team told me not to sleep on my side until I was cleared to do so. I'm normally a side-sleeper, but with the help of lots of pillows to elevate my legs and support my upper body, I was able to sleep on my back. Yes, it was a bit awkward-feeling at times, but I adjusted to it.

At my 2-week check-up, I was told it was okay to sleep on my side, but I found it very uncomfortable until just the past few days. The incision area is still tender from surgery and sleeping on the non-surgical side requires having a big pillow between my knees so I don't violate the crossover restriction.

wow you've had a lot of surgeries
sorry to see that
I'm not sorry! I'm thrilled because these surgeries have been life-changing!

Prior to my first hip replacement, I was unable to walk to the mailbox without a cane. Six month post-op. and I was back to hiking and biking and kayaking for more than a year until my knee deteriorated. But last summer, seven months after my 2nd knee replacement, I was feeling good enough to go on a safari, hike in the Mohonk mountains and, best of all, dance the night away at my daughter's wedding!

I'm still in recovery on this second hip replacement, but I expect this to be the last surgery and know that I will be getting back to life soon.

For me, the time spent in recovery from these surgeries has been well worth the benefit of being able to do all the things I want to do. As I said, life-changing!
 
So inspiring, thank you :loveshwr:
 
Thank you, @Deni444. That's honestly how I feel. I cannot imagine what my life would be like now if I hadn't done all four replacements. I am grateful that these surgeries are available.
 
Yes, I've been able to sleep in bed from my first day home after each of my surgeries -- including this latest. I personally find the bed more comfortable than our recliner, which bothered my back.
thanks for sharing this

I am glad that things have worked out so well for you!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom