THR Benne's 2nd THR Recovery

Thanks everyone! My personal challenge now is not to get cocky because of the good report. I do have a tendency to forget to exercise that Patience Muscle (as much as I preach patience to everyone else . :heehee: )

Slow and steady! The tortoise always beats the hare.
 
Such wonderful news! It's lovely to hear that you have had such a smooth recovery so far. Getting the all clear at six weeks is like starting the timer again... On to the next phase of long term recovery. I truly hope it will continue to be a text book recovery.
 
I think we can all give great advice when we aren’t the ones recovering. But to heed that advice for ourselves is another matter entirely!
 
So, 7 weeks post-op today and things continue to improve -- slowly but surely.

Major milestone of the week: I can put on my own left sock without using the sock tool! Woohoo!

I've also been comfortable enough to increase my daily walk to a full one mile, without stopping. Today, I even managed 1-1/2 miles (although I did stop twice to chat with a neighbor and pet some dogs. :heehee: ) I continue to take the cane for safety when I go out, but don't need it around the house.

Still struggling a bit with climbing stairs if I try to alternate feet. I find I'm pulling myself up using the handrail rather than using my leg muscles. Weak glutes, probably, but I have an appointment to see my PT on Monday for an assessment and a plan to get muscles firing properly again.

Meanwhile, I'm working hard on strengthening that Patience Muscle!
 
That's a great milestone - one less adaptive aid!!!

I see we walk similarly: if there's no kitties to say hello to or doggies to pet, it just wasn't that good a walk.

Glutes may not even be weak. May just need activation via fingertip touch while firing in isolation. Then assess strength. Sounds like the right time for PT!
 
Wonderful progress, I'm really happy for you. You're having a really smooth recovery! :) It's still early days, those stairs will get easier!
 
You're having a really smooth recovery!
Other than that set-back in week 2 when I almost fell. :heehee:

Honesty, though, I think the main reason this is progressing well is because the other hip and both knees are already done and recovered. They are strong and supportive, which is helping the new hip adapt.
 
8 weeks and progress continues, slowly. No major milestones to report. Walking a bit further than last week. Had an assessment with my PT, who prescribed some exercises to help activate those lazy glutes.

Did make a brief foray into the ODIC. I had a routine eye doctor appointment Wednesday and arrived to discover that the building elevator was out of service -- and her office is on the top floor! Three LONG flights up and down. Had to elevate and ice when I got home ... but I did it! :wink:
 
Glad to hear you are continuing to progress... Oh my goodness, those stairs! What rotten luck but I'm glad that ice and elevation came to the rescue. I think that's a good point about overdoing it. We take a bit of a step back but we bounce back if we are kind to our hips and give them a bit of additional TLC.
 
I think that's a good point about overdoing it. We take a bit of a step back but we bounce back if we are kind to our hips and give them a bit of additional TLC.

So true. Thankfully, no more appointments requiring stairs for a weeks!
 
All good stuff, you’re doing amazing.
Interesting about the stairs, I wonder how long before I can do 2 flights to reach my studio. I know it’s not yet.
Keep on and you’ll soon be dancing
 
Ok my gosh, three flights of stairs? Too bad you weren’t forewarned prior to the appointment. But you did it & relaxed & iced once home.
Recovery challenges constantly being thrown in our direction!
I enjoyed a lovely 2 mile walk with a friend yesterday plus “Ernie” the dog I watch. It’s at a bank office area & set up dog friendly with poop bags & trash disposal along the trails. Also has tennis courts & basketball court. Such a nice spot & close by. Just happened to be chatting with my friend on phone the other day & she suggested I join her so I did. Going back tomorrow. We are having lovely weather here.
 
I wonder how long before I can do 2 flights to reach my studio
Don't be in a rush. I can attest from personal experience that it's much harder with knees than with hips -- and I only had one knee done at a time! You will get there. Slow and steady.
 
A belated 9 week update (forgot to post last Friday!)

Went with family to the New York Botanical Garden's Vincent Van Gogh exhibit this weekend. The garden is huge, and the exhibit -- which recreates some of his familiar painting using flowers and other botanicals -- was spread out. It was a long walk, but there were sunflowers of all shapes and sizes everywhere and reproductions of his other paintings were so well done, I just kept going. The evening ended with a drone show that reproduced his Starry Night painting. (Can you tell I'm a Van Gogh fan? :wink: )

My Fitbit recorded almost 11,000 steps for the day. I was tired by the time we got home, but my hip did well. Only my back complained the next day!
 
@benne68 Wow, Deb, that sounds like a fabulous outing! As a Van Gogh fan myself I wish I lived closer to NYC so I could visit too :) And it is wonderful to hear that your newest hip had a good day too!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom