Guest viewing is limited

TKR Beachy in recovery<

Thanks everyone. I feel fine after a good nights sleep. No after effects from yesterday’s Pt.

Exciting day planned!
Shower, straighten up apartment, ice, elevate, nap, do some paperwork, return phone calls, nap, buy a cane. I may have to split that into 2 days. Heavy workload LOL.
Shower alone might require a nap :loll:

How are the Fiesties today?
 
Good morning @beachy! I'm glad to see your upbeat report today. Sounds like you're getting into a good routine with things, including those much needed naps. Hooray!

Although I didn't have the best night's sleep last night, I felt like doing a little straightening up this morning. My husband took the big bath towels and put them in the washer. I added the small towels and washcloths after getting myself washed and dressed for the day. Besides starting that load of laundry, I gathered some trash, wrote a check for outgoing mail, washed my coffee cup, printed a flyer at the computer (more about that in a minute), and then collapsed in recliner with a soft ice pack.

I've been postponing getting back to my desk (including desktop computer) until I felt more ready. Printing that flyer today was time sensitive, so I just pushed through and did it. There was some discomfort getting from walker to office chair, so I'm going to wait a few days before doing that again.

Even though I expected and planned for weeks of recovery time, it already feels weird having other people do most of my usual tasks. Last night before dinner, I cut up lettuce and red pepper for a salad while my husband made a stir fry meal. It felt good to be able to do that! I know it's important to let my body heal and be patient with all of this.

Enjoy your day and please keep posting!
 
Great outing beachy... I start PT this week too! I am trying to arrange it. I will call them after I get home from OS today. I know how you feel about the outing. I was tired too from the outing I had on Sunday. Are you still on pain meds? Did you take any before PT? I was asking because yesterday I called in my tramadol and the PA said to get the script from the OS today. That was weird because I always get it called in. I hope they don't take me off this yet because I have two bad knees and I still need this. I already up my meds during the day taking tramadol, motrin and tylenol. I am so nervous he won't give me a script for the tramadol at all. I thought you are suppose to wean yourself off. Why do I always have to worry about something. Sorry to unload.

Great report Keep up the good work Schpooko
 
@NanaBeach
Sounds like you are getting back to a little normalcy!

I miss my daily routine. And it is very odd having someone else (hubs) card for you. He is concerned that I’m not eating except that I am. I’m eating enough just smaller amounts more frequently. And I snack on fruit and healthy stuff. I cooked ahead and froze meals. And I don’t feel like any of it. LOL

I put some laundry in wash yesterday. Hubs transferred to dryer and I folded. Woohoo
So, doing the little things that make me feel like me and not the patient!
You’re doing great!
 
@schpooko
Hi there!
I’m still taking dilaudid. 1 every 6 hrs and xtra strength Tylenol. Feels good to see improvement there. Still icing and elevating. On my feet more each day. My :censored: back issues returned a few days ago so that determines how long I’m up.

As far as weaning off the meds I think the knee dictates that. My pain has changed from that searing throb to an achiness. I’m trying 1 dilaudid with Tylenol today . If that works I’ll stick with it. I think it will work now that the pain has changed in type and intensity.
I always defer to my OS when in doubt. Not that I get to talk to him. But the “chain of command” is very good.
I’ve never called in my meds. The order comes from OS to pharmacy. Then the insurance company has to get involved. Never had an issue with getting pain meds and that was a concern at first.
Hope you get that worked out. Let us know.
 
Yes I am back @beachy just got in this morning I have to be at hospital by 8am tomorrow morning, so will post once more before surgery in the morning as promised then will see you in recovery still excitedley terrified so very real now:bawl:
 
It will all be over before you know it! Then you’ll be here in recovery with all the Fiesties.
Hope the cruise was fabulous !:swim:
 
Cane shopping
What is the best kind to buy?
The normal cane or the kind with little feet at the bottom?

Too many darn choices! There are collapsible canes which makes me LOL. Hope it doesn't collapse while in use.
Are they all adjustable or do you need a certain length?

Too many choices! I just need to order a cane. Trying to make it simple. Too many choices! Help
 
@beachy , I've got a collection of canes from my 4+ years of knee problems pre-op (well, technically pre-THIS-op). All of them are adjustable and easy to change. Be sure you have your PT set the height for your cane(s), since that's important for avoiding back, hip, shoulder and arm issues.

My favorite canes are those that fold, since it's easy to get them out of the way in a car, at a restaurant or anywhere else when you're not actively using them. I like to put my cane in a totebag or backpack.

Amazon has a huge selection of folding canes for women, many in the $11 to $25 price range. I like those in bright colors and prints, both of which add some smiles. In the past, I've kept a cane handy in my car, plus folded canes in both my husband's and daughter's cars.

Enjoy your shopping!
 
@beachy, all of the canes I have are the single rubber tip style. I can see the virtues of those designs that stand up independently (my favorite part of having a walker nearby). However, I'm sure they can be knocked over and it wouldn't be fun to pick that up from the floor.

From my recent pre-op days, using a cane was important for safety with stairs and/or lots of walking or standing. That's been the only safe way to get to the beach too! I'll be curious to see how this changes with my new knee over the months ahead.

Enjoy picking out one or two canes that look appealing to you!
 
Eww.:eeeuw:
Today I can start taking the dressing off. It's Prineo Derma something. It's still attached. Doc office said to start peeling it off after shower and use a little Vaseline to ease it off! Just EW!

Some came off already and took scabs with it.
Insult on top of injury.
I have to stick a needle in my belly every day.
Now I have to take off my own darn dressing?
My legs need a deforestation and I can't shave them (or use weed wacker) until I stop the Lovenox.
And I don't know what type of cane to buy.
WAH wah wah:sigh:
Rant over. Thank you.
 
@gecko , good luck tomorrow! It's a lot easier having the surgery over and focusing on healing. I noticed you have knee #2 coming up in November, so I hope all goes well with both procedures.
 
Lol @beachy about deforestation! I have staples until they come out on Friday afternoon, so I'll continue being wrapped in heavy duty clear plastic for showers until then. Not sure when I'll get the OK for shaving (I'm off the Lovenox now), but meanwhile it's interesting peeling off that plastic after use. Kind of like removing a giant adhesive bandage!
 
And I don't know what type of cane to buy.

Canes: make sure your cane/walking stick is the correct height

I have a wooden cane that was made the right height for me. It isn't adjustable and I seldom use it.
I also have several canes that fold up. They are adjustable for height and they don't collapse when in use - they have strong elastic inside them and each section fits over or inside the next section. They are more convenient for travelling. I keep one in the house and one in my car. They all have the little rubber feet. Those rubber tips should be replaced when they start to wear down.
[Bonesmart.org] Beachy in recovery<


Nowadays, I only use a cane if the ground is slippery underfoot.
 
So I was able to peel off about 1/3 of the mesh after shower using the tiniest bit of vaseline. If I can get the same amount tomorrow without passing out I'll be almost there. I started from the top of the incision and worked my way down. Slowly. It looks pretty good to my untrained eye.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Beachy in recovery<
    IMG_20181030_161857.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 196
@beachy , that's the type of folding cane I was describing earlier! I'm glad @Celle added a picture so you have a better idea about how it works. As she said, they are very sturdy when the pieces are all together.

I'm still a couple of days away from getting back to using my desktop computer, but I look forward to sharing photos once that happens. My phone doesn't want to cooperate with that plan, so I need to be patient.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom