TKR Beachy in recovery<

Lotsa BIG victories in there! Trading in that sharp, burning pain for achy, to me, was a HUGE turning point. Can totally relate to needing a break from the chilled to the bone feeling from ice. At one point early on, it seemed like that feeling set in while I was taking the freezer paks out of the freezer - before I even put them on! (Kidding, but not far off).

It's funny how that daily first get up out of bed works. Seems we all remember exactly what it feels like, and when it starts to be 'not as bad as expected' = milestone.

I also noted that, last night, during the marathon, er, I mean, baseball game (marathons don't take as long), I pranged my knee something fierce, and unlike a couple weeks ago, the pain went away in just a few minutes.

Hang in there, sounds like you're doing well!
 
@Rhodyrhody .
Thanks! That's good to know that what I'm feeling IS truly progress and not just a mind trick.
Watch out for those prangs!

18 innings! Hubs stayed up for the whole game. He's been napping all day LOL
Pitching for both teams should be a hot mess tonight.
 
Beachy how are you today? Hope all is good. I posted an update about my outing today... Take care and post an update of you today :ice:
 
Hi @beachy,
I've been thinking about you and wondering how things are going. I hope you're doing better with pain control and finding some improvements every day!

I'm still amazed at how much better I'm feeling at "almost 2 weeks post-op" compared with other major surgeries. However, that being said, I'm writing now after waking up in pain, and am waiting for more Tylenol to take effect. No question that for me, the challenges with this recovery are mostly about 1) keeping pain under control and 2) being able to sleep more than 2 to 3 hours straight through without waking up.

On the other hand, I feel a lot more confident about staying alone almost a full day (9 or 10 hours, on average now), other than friends next door coming inside around noon to take our granddog Deja for a walk. I still haven't gotten to my desk (with desktop computer) and might be postponing that big step for at least a couple more days. I know that once I'm able to sit there, it's going to be harder to stay away. I can access very basic email from phone and Kindle, so I'm forcing myself to keep it that way longer.
Going back to bed now... will stop by again soon!
 
Glad you are getting a little better each day. This recovery is definately not a fast one. I tried to do some shopping today online but just couldn't concentrate enough. I finally gave up and cuddled with the grandbabies and watched Netflix lol.
 
I found my biggest improvements were week 2 into week 3. Everyday has been better.
Grab sleep when you can. I've been sleeping through the night since day 1, but I take a medication at bedtime. It's not for sleep, but that is a blessed side effect.

I can definitely stay be myself if not for the dog. She has to be walked on a leash. Hubs is going to work here and there and schedules his day around his "princess". The dog, not me.:loll:I'm the queen.:rotfl:

It sounds like you're doing well an better everyday!
 
Day 18. First outpatient PT.

I'm finally feeling like a human being again. Pain is and has been controlled since late last week. I sleep well and the blues/depression have not hit me. I see progress everyday. Small progess, but moving forward. I'm moving around better and more often. Appetite is still not much, but I just eat smaller meals. Basically I snack. Hubs tends to think I'm a lumberjack and loads up my plate accordingly. I nibble at it.

I was pleasantly surprised by my first outpatient PT today.
Let's get measurements over with. 90 flex -14 extension. Meh. Not concerned, but I will work on it slowly. It will happen. There were no threats of scar tissue or MUA. Unlike the home PT that I fired. Same company by the way.
My therapist was not the one I asked for, but I liked her very much, though. The first thing she said was "you're in charge. Do what you can as long as it doesn't hurt."
We did the usual heel slides. I did 5 out of 10
Quad thing where you push back of knee into table. I did 5. I will make it a point to do these every day. I've done zero exercise at this point.
There was something else I can't remember. Rocked bike pedals for 10 min. That was fairly easy. E-stim, ice cuff with compression. That was lovely. I told her I make it a point to take 2-3 walks down the hallway every day. She said that is one of the best things to help recovery.
I see my regular therapist on Thurs. I can't go 3x this week. Hubs is working Friday. That's OK. M W F is a bit much for now. This way I have more than 1 day in between to recover. I did take my dose of pain meds before PT, but it was time.

So, there it is. Not much going on. I made up my mind months ago that I was going to do all I could to recover the bonesmart way. I think I've done that for the most part.
Hope everyone is hanging in there!
 
If you are even sleeping in your bed you are ahead of the game in this category. I like PT and think it’s an intragal part of recovery for many ,but not all. I have seen pretty big gains by smartly combining my PT with rest,icing, and elevation. Since I need to do the right one next year, I am setting the ground work this year.
 
@Softtail .
I'm sleeping in my recliner. Right now it's more comfy and I like sleeping on my back. I can watch tv until I fall asleep. Hubs is getting the well deserved sleep he needs in the bedroom. The tv bothers him and I cant see it with my legs elevated. It's all good for now. I don't miss the bed. Maybe a few more weeks.

I need my right knee done ,too. Hoping the new lefty will take on some of the work soon then I can wait 1 yr for righty.

After the fiasco of my home Pt I think I can handle out patient. I have no fear of standing my ground. I also will consider the requests of the therapist if I feel it will help and not hurt.
A common sense approach always wins.
 
Well done beachy you seem to be doing really well I am four days behind you and sleeping is a bit of a problem feel I slept better with my hip replacements, I have not been given out patient PT and unsure how to go about it so might leave it for another couple of weeks. Doing very short walks up and down the street just now and home PT.

:sleep:

 
Rhodyrhody, PLEASE don't make my name a tag when you're just mentioning it in the course of conversation! I cam back from a week's leave today and had 33 tags to respond to! I started at 10am. It's now 7.30pm and I still have 12 to do!

Don't get me wrong - you are always welcome to tag me if you genuinely have a question or a problem. Otherwise, be kind to me!
 
Hi @beachy,
I'm so glad to read your update! Especially with the ER setback you had (plus the home PT from hell), it's especially encouraging to read your comment about the biggest improvement coming from week 2 to week 3!

This afternoon marks 2 weeks since my surgery (came out of OR at 5:00 p.m., which is just over an hour from now) and I feel very encouraged about where things are. Sleep is still a challenge, however today I was lucky enough to have a very restful 45 minute nap in recliner after lunch. Ahhh... Sweet granddog was/is at my side to add extra love and healing energy.

My husband went back to work a week ago and other than that first shortened day, I've been home alone weekdays for about 10 hours on average. Son-in-law typically drops off granddog around 8 a.m. on way to work, then either he or our daughter pick her up in late afternoon. Taking Deja outside for a "walk" is the one vital task that I cannot do at all yet. Our lovely next door neighbor has come by several days to help with this. I'm still using a walker and haven't yet transitioned to a cane, so there's no safe way to even use an extended leash and step outside with the storm door, etc. That's one of my next goals! Just realized I forgot to add that to the list for OS... I told him the following goals for my recovery:

1. Enjoy walking on the boardwalk
2. Be able to dance again
3. Use both feet alternating on stairs

Simple, measurable, important to me.

My first appointment for outpatient PT is Wednesday, which will be day 17, so once again we're similar! I have no intention of doing 3x week and am planning to set up a Monday & Thursday schedule. Let's see how that goes! I hope my therapist is as positive and respectful as yours.

I'm doing only Tylenol for pain control and managing without too much distress. There's still some work to do with the schedule of dosage amount and timing to improve the results. I'm optimistic and I know that finding a better dosage plan will help with sleeping more than 2 to 3 hours at a time (maximum). Happily, my 24 hour sleep total has gone past 6 hours regularly this week, with one night over 7.5 hours! That feels like a huge milestone.

Keep up the great work!
 
Rhodyrhody, PLEASE don't make my name a tag when you're just mentioning it in the course of conversation! I cam back from a week's leave today and had 33 tags to respond to! I started at 10am. It's now 7.30pm and I still have 12 to do!

Don't get me wrong - you are always welcome to tag me if you genuinely have a question or a problem. Otherwise, be kind to me!

Sorry. Thought I was being kind by giving credit where credit was due. Don't worry, won't happen again.
 
@forbesy .
My outpatient PT was set up for me. I can't remember if it was done by home nurse or home therapist or in hospital.
I was a little anxious about today, but I went in with an open mind and determined to not let them hurt me.

@NanaBeach .
It's funny how similar our recoveries have been. I want to call you NanaBeachy LOL.
You're only taking Tylenol? That's great! I hope to be there soon, but for now I'm taking dilaudid every 6 hrs with xtra strength Tylenol every 8 hrs.

I don't have that awful throbbing, burning pain any longer. I can deal with the achiness. Feeling it in my back now.
I'm buying a cane too. I've left my walker in another room on occasion. Not on purpose. Surprised myself.

I hope your therapist works with you. Makes a world of difference.
 
I came home from PT at 2pm. Hubs filled the cryo cuff with fresh ice and frozen water bottles.

Fell asleep in recliner for 2 hrs! I never do that. Could PT have tired me out that much????? I'm still groggy!
Good grief. I finally experienced the energy drain I've heard so much about. Hope it's a one and done!
 
@beachy I would crash every afternoon after outpatient PT. Yes it’s exhausting without us even realizing it.

Take your catnap when you get back! Ice and elevate! Keep doing well in your recovery!!!
 
Yes, PT will tire you out. It also has the potential to drive up your appetite as you start to burn more calories. I've experienced both at different times. You sound like you are doing great, stay focused and don't try to do too much. The impulse to do more than you ought to can sneak up on you. :scare:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom