TKR Beachy in recovery<

Today begins week 4.

To recap week 3:
*Took a few tries, but my pain meds are managed and work and hope to taper off even more this week.
*The poop fairy needs to return. One of the issues of having pain managed. Benefiber, lots of water, oatmeal, fruit and the stool softener/ laxative combo from the hospital. Not in need of dynamite. Yet.
*Started outpatient PT 2x week. It's good. Keeps me moving.
Nothing strenuous. They want 3x , but no thanks.
*I have learned that the more activity, more swelling.
* I cooked steaks last night. Hubs made a salad. It only took me 10 minutes of standing at stove. Appetite still not great, but I tried. I really think it's the meds, inactivity compared to pre op. Not concerned.
 
Love the cane you bought! Mines a ugly plain old black one lol. Good to see you were able to do a little bit of standing to cook. I hear you on yh he appetite. I think it's the meds as well as not a lot of activity.
 
PT failure today :shrug:

I was swollen before PT and not having a good day. More painful today for some reason.....swelling. And I just felt like yuck.

So I tell my therapist this. He barely responds then says let’s get to work. Hmm. This is my go to guy that’s helped me before. Rock the bike. Ok. I slacked when he wasn’t looking. Then the bar for mini squats. I said I can’t do that. He said try 1. I did but it hurt. Told him can’t do that. He said I need to or risk my surgery being ruined! I’m not doing it. He left me and sent someone else. I walked out! Met hubs in the lobby, told him what happened and had to hold him back LOL.

Guess I’m done with that place for PT.
Can you do your own PT at home? It’s just exercises, right? I have access to a gym in our complex. I can do my walks in any kind of weather. So what’s the big flipping desk?
 
@beachy, yes you can do your own PT at home. That is what I am doing. I am on the stationary bike for the second time since surgery and have just done 20 mins slowly!!! Yay me!!!
 
@beachy, I rocked yesterday 10 backwards, 10 forward. I wanted to see if I could even get on the bike. Today, it was FULL ROTATION on the weakest resistance!!! I surprised myself! The whole time I was reading our BoneSmart forum!:egypdance::yes!: I truly love this forum!!! It is so empowering.
 
@beachy im so glad you stood up to that so called therapist. How could he possibly know that your surgery would be ruined if you didn't do mini squats??? The use of intimidation and exaggeration with patients, who are already in a vulnerable position, is very unprofessional.

Several years ago when I had just begun to have knee problems I had an arthroscopy with removal of a "loose body" and was sent to PT afterward. Squats were included in the PT protocol. When I saw the surgeon in follow up I told him of the difficulty I was having with doing them. He said to stay away from them and to focus on leg raises to strengthen the quadriceps. I wonder if the surgeons have any real knowledge of what the physical therapists are actually doing with their patients. The only additional suggestion I have is to talk with your surgeon at your next appointment, describe the pain that was evoked, and ask his or her opinion about the exercises that you were asked to do.

I have been having trouble with the poop fairy too. I am still seeking the optimal mix of stool softeners. Take too many and it's a mess; back off and you're back to square one. It's the meds and less activity. I also notice that I fill up faster at meals, which I think is due to the same combo of meds and less activity. Opiates are known to reduce appetite.

I don't think there's anything mysterious about PT after a TKR. Do some online research and let us know what you discover!

Hobble on. :tiredwheel:
 
@beachy i have my first PT tomorrow after last weeks torture session. I will address her threatening me with a MUA. It burns me up when therapists say things like that. Oh, “ you’re going to ruin your surgery “ are you kidding me? :censored: I’m glad you made the decision to walk out, and good job on getting the hubs out of there!
Everything I’ve read on this forum strengthens my belief in doing what’s best for you. You most surely can exercise at home, at your pace. I wish you continued success in your taking charge of your recovery :thumb:
 
Good for you for you for walking out! I’m sorry you held hubs back.

So sad that this was a PT you liked and he treated you like that.

Of course you can recover fine without formal PT.
 
Like everything else, my p.t. situation was different this time around. I liked the therapists last time but the physician's assistant started mentioned an MUA on my 2nd follow up visit (so ridiculous). When I told the therapist that, he just laughed and said that wouldn't be happening because my numbers were fine. Went to therapy for 3 or 4 months - twice a week. This time I had the same therapy group - different therapist - and interestingly enough, the physician's assistant wasn't there anymore. Saw the surgeon on my two follow up visits and he recommended 12 visits but I only went to 6 and he seemed fine with that. (He's very laid back). We ran into some insurance issues and I have a bike pedal thing at home so I just used that and have lived my life.

The one difference is that my extension was much better on my left leg & range of motion is much better on my right leg (after surgery). I'm a little concerned the extension on my right leg doesn't seem to be getting much better but it'll come with time. Honestly, this recovery is challenging enough without having to be the p.t.'s at a certain time 2 or 3 days a week. Plus, there were the saddest people with the most depressing stories there the last couple of visits. And of course, they wanted to tell me all about it so that was another reason I decided not to go back. Do what's best for you.

 
Yes you can absolutely do your own rehab at home. I only went yesterday to get a measurement. Just going 2x for gait but she said yesterday we are just going to do some stretching and worry about gait later if needed. Good for you for walking out. Ruin your surgery? What a asinine statement :gaah:
 
Thanks everyone. I know I can do my own at home and your encouragement helps me in knowing that is the right decision.

The odd thing is on Monday the PT I worked with asked me to buy a cane for today's session. I bought it, took it with me and nothing. Didn't I look foolish with my walker AND a cane! We did nothing to check my gait. So done with them. And when I'm thinking with a cooler mind I will send an email.

At least I can say I tried. I don't want anything or anyone coming back to me later if I don't have a good outcome and saying you should have tried pt.
 
Beachy. Had my PT today ,and see my doctor on Monday , so may be done with formal PT. Wish I could give you my guy,cause from day one he was concerned about adding to my recovery , and not butchering it. I am leaving him with flex near 130 and extension of 0. I asked about home exercises and he said they were important to do to keep what I have, but not to the point where it causes additional swelling. He said it was being sedentary that was the culprit,cause leg needed to be active ie walking ,shopping,yard work etc.

I started outpatient therapy on October 4 , about 4 weeks post op, and the home therapy I had consisted of leg lifts, flex exercises , calf and hamstring stretches,and extensions. In no way were there any strength exercises ,ie squats wall sits etc. They were introduced slowly starting with standing from chair. at week 5. The point you are at 3 weeks out , there is no way you should be doing squats yet. If that were true , my therapist would have offered them. My “squats” are still done from chair where at week 8 he told me to shoot for 30 in 1 minute. Also at week 8 he introduced wall squats, (those are fun, not) , and bridges, but again he asked if they hurt. He also checked my knee before every session ,and I got ice and Tens unit at end. Along with these most of the added exercises were built around balance. My point is the right therapist is your partner,not your enemy, so you absolutely did the right thing walking out, If the only type you have access to are going to try and manipulate you, then by all means scan the net for home exercises and take charge of your own recovery. It will come I have no doubt of that. Oh and standing for 10 minutes in kitchen at 3 weeks, wow. I still had trouble standing long enough to brush my teeth at that point
 
My home PT recommended that I get the ok from my surgeon to just use the gym I belong to, which is close by, for doing all my external PT. She didn't think I needed it. Why pay for a gym AND each pt session at Kaiser?
 
I only had PT for a little over a month (because I have mediocre insurance with a set number of PT visits per year and I was trying to save some PT time for another surgery). But anyway, I kept working on my own and felt like I had the most improvement in ROM between weeks 6-8 just doing my own thing. I did many of the exercises they had me doing in PT, I walked as much as was comfortable, and I did my exercise bike daily for about 10 minutes. I actually enjoyed PT, but if you don't have decent people, it is entirely possible to work on your own. Plus you know best how much you can handle at any given time. If you work to the point of stretchy discomfort but not actual pain and just keep it up regularly, upping it only as it gets easier, you will be fine.

I was really stressed about dropping PT at the time, but I needn't have worried. I'm 16 months out and my new knee has more ROM than my natural knee. I was a little obsessed while going to PT and wanted my ROM measued every single time. Eventually I quit fussing and have no idea what my ROM currently is. I know there's an app for that but I honestly don't care. All I know is my knee bends enough to do anything I need it to. Oddly, the only thing I can't do is kneel on the ground because it hurts too much to be in contact with a hard surface. Not sure if that will ever happen but not a big deal.
 
Hi beachy glad to see that you are doing well. I experienced the energy drain just trying to get the ted stockings on this morning. But I would think it's all the meds we need to take too. Get some rest :sleep: ready to take a nap too!
 
Today begins my own PT program.

I took a good 15 minute walk around my apartment building. My son was with me and he was walking the dog. I came back and iced. This afternoon I'll do heel slide and the quad thing...When you press back of knee down. Then I'm going to research some other exercises. Maybe later another walk down the hallway.

Feeling relieved I can do this on my own, when I want and control the swelling. I'm actually looking forward to it and will not join ODIC!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Beachy in recovery< [Bonesmart.org] Beachy in recovery< [Bonesmart.org] Beachy in recovery<
The first and second pics are today (3weeks). The last is 1 week post op . Not sure why the first posted 2x
 
Beachy@ I met this man at my surgeon's office the other day and was inspired by his story. He had BTKRs done at age 66 and nine months later walked a half marathon, 13.1 miles. He is now 70 and preparing for a full marathon next spring. He's 6'4" tall and weighs about 250lbs. Hope his story inspires you as well. Sending prayers!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom