TKR Beachy in recovery<

@beachy i have had several cane styles. I did not like the one with four separate feet on the bottom, it was heavy and really did not feel terribly stable. The ones I used regularly were the Hurrycane and the Hugo quadropod offset. The Hurrycane has three tips joined together in a triangle shape. It's billed as a stand up alone cane but it doesn't really do that. However, you can stand it up and put your foot on top of the triangle tip and it will stay upright temporarily while your hands are otherwise occupied, for example, unlocking your back door with a key, etc. it is height adjustable and also folds. It never buckled on me. I used it in public and at work because it is unobtrusive and doesn't scream old lady. At home my preference has been the Hugo. It is height adjustable but does not collapse and fold. It's tip is a set of four circular rubber pods that overlap to make a wavy rectangle. Unlike the Hurrycane, this one will stand alone upright as long as the ground is reasonably smooth and level. This is especially useful inside. It comes in colors. I got two so I could leave one in the front and one in the back of the house. It feels slightly more sturdy than the Hurrycane but also looks a little more orthopedic, if you know what I mean. I work with a lot of younger people and I have to pay attention to the image I project. Anyway, so glad for your progress! And if you or any other readers have a preferred knee immobilizer (not a brace) please tag me with the brand. Motherbone continues to hobble towards recovery. :tiredwheel:
 
Beachy ,keep plugging away. At a little over 2 and 1/2 weeks out you are in that seems like this is taking forever to get better mode. I was always bummed at that point ,cause although I could walk around with little or no pain ,I could barely stand on my leg in one spot to brush my teeth. Same for sitting. If I hung my knee down from chair it hurt. If I put feet on floor, it would hurt. I ended up walking short distances, then lying down with leg elevated. Between 3rd and 7th week though there was quite a change. Sitting and standing got better and better. Can comfortably walk normally, ride in car,sit in a chair, go out to dinner, go to store with wife, and pretty much do normal activities now. Of course I am a long way from healed, but just wanted to let you know you are not that far away from kissing that easy chair goodbye , at least as far as sleeping in goes, and getting to bed in a normal fashion, so let your hubby know his owning the whole bed is going to come to an end before long.
 
@NanaBeach @Motherbone ,
Thanks for your replies. I ordered a standard one with purple flowers today. I'm hoping it gets here in time for PT on Thurs. If not we'll have cane/gait class next week. I was a little impatient with myself today so I only ordered 1, but see a few foldable canes in my future. Love the idea of fitting one in my purse.

When I left a message today with OS office about incision dressing his PA called me back almost immediately. After discussing that we talked about pain meds and how it was going. Told her I'm testing today with 1 dilaudid every 6 hrs. She said if that doesn't work go back to 2 and call right away for a refill. It doesn't work :sorry: I'm back to 2 pills every 6 hrs for a few days then try 2 every 8hrs. It was almost the old pain...throbbing. I'll get there eventually.

@Softtail .
It does feel like forever, but I have to keep thinking of this time last week.....in the ER in bad pain. Like 9-10 pain.
I'm encouraged by you saying weeks 3 and on were better. I'll be at 3 weeks on Thurs. I was up and about a bit too much today. I'm spite of that I'm still seeing progress.
Happy that it's going well for you!
 
Keep up the good work ! And reports !!

Great job on Christmas shopping ! Quite impressed
 
Dear Diary.
Trick or treat?
Tomorrow will be 3 weeks. 3 whole weeks gone.

The first week, for me, was a blur. Not gonna lie. A painful, foggy blur. Second week was a bit of a blur with better pain meds. It’s a catch 22. Better meds brought fogginess to week 2. That was me. Will be different for others.

Week 3. My mobility is way better than week 2. I can be up and about for a little longer because pain is controlled. I have to be careful of doing too much. I’m no longer worried about tapering off drugs quickly. I tried that too soon and paid a price. OS office agreed.
Today I’m having some muscle aches after PT on Monday. Feels like the day after a good workout without a TKR. At least I know muscles are responding.

Really looking forward to getting back to beach house next month. Mid November will be 6 weeks and that sounds good to me.

Removed the rest of mesh covering scar after shower today. It wasn’t too bad. I’d take a pic but it looks like the one I posted yesterday.

So I hear weeks 3-4 brought much improvement for many of you. If you want to share I’d love to hear.
Sending healing wishes to everyone. Especially those of you in the very early stages of recovery! It gets better!
 
Ah @beachy! The beauty of going to the beach house! I'm envious!!!

Yes week three and four have been life changing for me, less pain meds more walking, but not much ROM at all. PT thinks maybe extra scarring deep inside, but she's still not being mean so I'm still going!

I haven't had the set back you've had, but hang in there, it sounds as if you're doing great at your own pace!

I hope you have a fabulous low pain/pain free day!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
Hi @beachy,
We have to keep remembering that this is a long and complicated journey! It gets better and eventually we'll be feeling great. Right now, it's all about small bits of good news (and avoiding setbacks).

I had my first outpatient PT this morning and felt good about it. Most of the appointment was devoted to measurements, questions and looking at my incision. At the end, they had me practice going up and down a few stairs, then use a NuStep type machine for 5 minutes. That felt great! In addition to working with one of the senior therapists there (DPT), I also have an intern assigned to my case. She's in the last semester of her doctoral program and finishing her final part of clinical hours. It feels like I'm getting two-for-the-price-of-one, especially since both women are extremely competent. I have another appointment on Friday morning, then start a routine of appointments Monday and Thursday afternoons until the end of November. I had a brief 10 minute icing at the end of PT, then used more ice at home this afternoon.

One of the best parts of today was getting outside and riding in the car for the first time in 2 weeks! I was amazed to see how many autumn colors can be found in our neighborhood already. After leaving PT, my friend drove me to the farmers market to get fresh tomatoes, zucchini and cucumbers. I can't describe how wonderful it felt to do something ordinary like this!!

Especially since I hope the weather is warm and beautiful for you today also, see if you can find someone to take you out for a ride. The fresh air and changes in scenery will boost your spirits!

Keep doing well and sharing your story here. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.
 
Two things you mentioned:
Cane..I have and LOVE the collapsable pictured above..

Perscription: I've had a real 'party' over here on refills of my hydrcodone. :(
I'm on my own, 70 mile round trip to Dr. office where I have to personally pick up hand written script, Sign for it, hand deliver it to pharmacy, and Sign AGAIN when I pick it up.

(Thank you stupid drug addicts and China Fentonol. Grrr.)
 
@Bismitmom1 .
Remember what all the forum advisors say: ROM will happen, but not when swelling is still happening.
You will get there!

@NanaBeach .
LOL. The leaves were green when we went to the hospital. On the way to PT on Monday I couldn't believe how pretty the colors were! It was so much easier to get in and out of car, too.
My regular PT also has his doctorate. I didn't even know that when I started with him last year for my back. He has a bright future ahead. Especially with so many joint replacements.
As nice as it was today the hubs worked and I chilled inside. Opened the windows and got lots of fresh air. Took My stroll down the hallway to the lobby.
You're doing great!

@cherterr .
That's awful that you have to go to such great lengths to get a refill! I thought it was going to be hard to get refills, but so far I just call OS and pharmacy let's me know when it's ready.
I do feel badly for the addicts. They're so hooked and families are destroyed. It's the dealers I have zero sympathy for. Besides how can anyone go through life without pooping?
I'm planning on getting a collapsible ( ironic description) cane very soon.
I hope your med situation gets easier. How's recovery going besides that?
 
I ordered a folding (sounds better than the ironic collapsable!:rotfl:) from Amazon. I took it out of the box and it practically opened itself, quickly, unexpectedly and noisily!! :yikes: If anyone had been standing next to me they could have gotten hurt! So, beware if you get one, they are hyper little things!

I do like it, now that I have tamed it. I carry it in a pretty fabric bag when I’m not using it, with the elastic securely wrapped around it to keep it from opening, and no one knows it’s in there.
 
I had a funny moment today. I sat down on the couch without thinking. I haven't sat on the couch in 3 weeks.
When I tried to stand up.....I realized I had a problem. By myself. Walker just out of reach. It would have been a great hidden camera moment. I finally rocked enough to push myself up. Geez. TKR problems.
 
My shoulder is better, thanks.

I have a new, much smaller purse AND a new tiny wallet inside said new smaller purse, and I wear the purse cross body, so it doesn’t come in contact with the badder of the two sore shoulders.
 
And a tiny wallet? I'm so proud of you!
Hope that helps with the shoulder.
 
The wallet has just enough spaces for the cards that I must have with me.

I designed the purse so it pretty much fits my needs. I’d like it a tad bigger, it’s a bit narrow and tight to get my few things in and out of. But if it was bigger, I’d be tempted to put more essentials in it.

The main negative is, my shoulders are a bit uncomfortable when I have to lift the strap over my head so I can wear it cross body. I guess I just want everything! :rotfl:
 
Thanks! I’ve been making them for years. They’re just fabric. I’ve tweaked the pattern a lot and varied the sizes. It was originally a diaper bag pattern when one of my kids was a baby. I’m not sure which one, might have been my last one, who’s 34! I’ve come a long way since the first one!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom