BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Anterior THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by desertrat, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

United States United States
    Congrats on the retirement plans! I had my hip done and never went back.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Eman85---was the retirement preplanned, or a result of the surgery? What kind of work did you do? How do you spend your time now?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I wanted to retire at 62 anyway. I planned my THR around that and my job. I worked physically and my OS released me with restrictions, my company said they couldn't accommodate them. What do I do with my time? I don't see how I had time to work! That car in the photo isn't an old pic. I have acreage and hobbies too. I will say my hip does restrict me form doing things like I used to do but I can take my time and if I don't get it today I'll get it tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Eman85--that was good planning on your part!

The flexibility of being retired is an incredible gift, isn't it?!?! Although I do find that I was far more productive when I was teaching full time, and sometimes it bothers me that while I always am busy, I don't feel like I accomplish as much as I'd like.

But I am happy and incredibly content overall, especially now that I am not dealing with the horrendous hip pain I had last year!

• Like Like x 1
  5. desertrat

desertrat junior member

@Eman85 and @Debru4 nice to hear from happily retired people. I can't imagine being bored with retirement like some people are. I have hobbies too and want to do some traveling. It crossed my mind to just not go back to work, lol. But I think I'll go back for a month or so - didn't really finish training my replacement so that will be my main mission when I go back. It will be physically easy. I thought about waiting until after I retired for the surgery but just didn't feel like waiting any longer - was in pain most of the time and it was interfering with my sleep so I was always exhausted. I finally feel rested now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave: All sounds well. The tightening up while sitting is certainly normal and the stutter steps upon rising were common me for many months.
    Good for you for taking a bit of extra time and transitioning back to work with less hours.
    You are doing it all the right way, in my opinion.
    All will continue to get better and better.
    Spring will be super sweet!:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Nice update! Happy Six Week Anniversary.
    It's nice to read you're able to take more time off work with your supervisors blessings.
    You'll have to let us know how your visit with the OS tomorrow goes.
    You're doing great!
    @desertrat

• Like Like x 1
  8. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Being ALIVE is an incredible gift!!! Life is all about being happy not so much about being productive or wealthy.
    As far as planning, I had a long time to plan as I looked at a replacement when I was 30. I also knew the last 8 years or so of my job that they would kick me to the curb when I had it done so I planned it out to work in my favor.
    I read so many posts on here where the patients focus is more on going back to work then on recovery. I understand fully as I've been in that situation before and rushed back to work days after surgery.

• Like Like x 1
  9. goblue61

goblue61 junior member

Eman,
    You have given up jumping off a moving truck to get the momentum to raise the 30ft ladder to the platform haven't you? What do you call that hobby?

I looked up your original post a year ago and I must say...……..Very entertaining!

Need to re-post the moving truck/ ladder video. Any of those crazy friends have hip and knee issues these days?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I had hip issues before I did that, I have plenty of joint issues from the many things I've done in life for both fun and money. I haven't done that in quite some time and I stay in the vehicle now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Eman85--I was incredibly lucky that the career I chose (or that chose me), and the school/school district where I spent almost all of my career was very supportive, no matter what occurred in my life. From a tough pregnancy with triplets, to back surgery and a severe hand infection that triggered an autoimmune disorder, I was always given then time and encouragement I needed to heal. And because of that, I also was always eager to return to work and get back because I loved the job so much. I always knew my job was not in jeopardy.

I know that is not always the case. Some of the things I have read on here about the struggles and pressure that many people face with regard to work really break my heart for them. And you are right....it is true that life is a gift and far more important than any job, BUT for some of the families I have worked with, not working was not a choice. Health issues, surgeries, job loss---so many things can literally throw a person or family into poverty.

I never take my good fortune for granted. There are so many things I want to do in this life, that I do sometimes want to urge myself to get on them, and not let the time slip by:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

desertrat--I'm with you---so many incredible things to learn and do once you have the gift of time in retirement:)

My main complaint about retirement is really my own issue---I have always had a million things I want to do and tons of projects/hobbies going on at once.. Sometimes I get frustrated with myself for not being a bit more productive and getting on top of things.

I find myself putting things off, thinking that since I'm retired, there's always tomorrow. Which is true, in general, but for any of us who have health major health issues, the reality is that the quality of that "tomorrow" isn't guaranteed, so we need to be sure we don't waste any precious time today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

The private and corporate sector is a lot different. My neighbor works is the school superintendent. Having a conversation about work in the private sector and sending students to the trades. I asked her how many sick days do you think I get, she had no idea. When I told her 2 days she asked if that was per month. I had to explain that was per year and everything else was unpaid and charged to FMLA.
    precious time is sitting by the woodstove with a cup of coffee. It's sitting in the hot tub watching the beginning of the lunar eclipse the other night. Then going out at midnight to see the rest of the Wolf Blood moon. I get plenty of sense of accomplishment when I split a big stack of wood or build a motor for my car.

• Like Like x 3
  14. desertrat

desertrat junior member

@Eman85 what the heck did you do for a living?! Jumping off of trucks to raise a ladder, having to pass a herculean test to return to work?! Wow, were you a fireman, stunt man, lol? Or was the ladder thing just for fun? I read through your thread and couldn't find if you said what you did. My job is somewhat physical but very tame compared to that. I'm about to retire because, besides being sick of working, the job is beating me up. I can see why you had to retire a little early but it sucks that you were forced to. Glad you are able to.

@Layla Saw my OS yesterday for my 6wk appointment. I asked him a bunch of questions. Answers were: Total gym is okay :) but he wants me to build stamina with a stationary bike or walking on a treadmill. Chiropractor is okay with caution. :ok: No inversion ever unless I can hang from my waist. :sad: Stretching/Yoga okay - no restrictions on movement. :loveshwr: I will still be cautious though. Okay to kneel to the floor but I forgot to find out the correct way to do it. Asked how long it takes for the capsule around the joint to heal - 3 months, and for the bone to grow into the implant - I think he said 6mo -1yr. I go back 1 yr from surgery or if I have problems. I mentioned having him do the other hip (eventually) and he said it wouldn't need it for a while. There is still a little cartilage in there. The one he did was in bad shape.

I also got 2 more weeks off work. He didn't have any problem with that - I explained that my job is somewhat physical and involves a lot of walking. All is well and I'm starting to lose track of my cane because I walk off without it. :)

• Like Like x 4
  15. desertrat

desertrat junior member

@Mojo333 thanks for the support and encouragement. This forum has been fun.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:happydance:That will put you at about two months post op for getting back to work...you've got this!
    :yes!:
    I feel like I gained decades with new hips.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. goblue61

goblue61 junior member

Desertrat, What a great 6 week report! Makes me feel good for what is in store for me in 3 1/2 weeks.

When you find out how best to get up from kneeling on the floor let us know. Been several times I have been temped to do so to get something out of a low cabinet or drawer and wondered how to do it without breaking the 90 degree restriction.

Do you no longer need PT?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @desertrat
    Thank you for sharing. I appreciate the info. Especially because I purchased a Total Gym which I'll receive next week. I'm so excited! :happydance: I'm tired of my treadmill I need to switch it up. Chiro, I'm afraid, not sure if I can go back. I think I'd be an annoyance because I'd want to understand and okay everything before I allowed mine to touch me. Inversion, I get it. We have a Teeter's and I would never attempt it after THR.
    It sounds like your visit went well and you had a lot of questions answered. It's great you'll get 2 more weeks off work. Losing track of your cane is a good sign. You're on your way!
    Have a great weekend :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I tell people my life has been like living out country-western songs. I really never did anything easy, or the easy way. My Dad was old school, labor board was called when I was 5yo. My hips were never right and had SFCE and the left was pinned in 69. I was a volunteer fireman years back and the racing team was what we did for fun. My last job was driving a truck for a freight company.
    As far as kneeling goes I was real hesitant but it was somewhere between 6 and 12 weeks.

• Like Like x 2
  20. EL11

EL11 senior

Good going @desertrat !

I am amazed that such a major part of my body has been replaced and it feels so natural, on both sides.

What a great feeling to be able to stretch again, to get up off the floor, to walk fast.

Continued good healing to you!

• Agree Agree x 2