BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Anterior THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by desertrat, Jan 2, 2019.

1. desertrat

desertrat junior member

United States United States
    Thanks for the well wishes. I went back to work Sunday night. Doing fine with that, just trying to stay awake all night, lol. I'm doing desk work for 2 weeks (3-12 hr nights), then retiring! I decided I can't take any more rat race. Was planning to retire about now anyway but doing it a couple of weeks early. Just planned my retirement party for co-workers.

I was making very slow progress healing from the fall/overdoing it, and was beginning to worry it was more than sore muscles. Hadn't been to the chiropractor yet so gave that a try and was way better as soon as I got off his table! He just used the activator on me and worked on the leg muscles that were really sore. He also straightened my hips, which are always out of whack at the sacroiliac. Went Wed and Fri last week and going back this Fri. Feeling much better now.

2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:friends:glad to hear it.
    I've thought of chiro for some mild ongoing SI joint pain...but don't have personal experience with one so I've been hesitant.
    Good to hear you got some good results.
    I've tried Some easy does it somatic movements @Alitm suggested and it has seemed to help.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement.
    Two months is still very early days, so keep it slow and easy and you will keep seeing things get better!:tada:

3. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Congratulations on the good recovery and on the retirement @desertrat . It sounds like you’ve found the right path to follow. I read your post on another thread about your interest in arts and that sounds great. You do need something to keep you busy after retiring. I’ve been retired for quite a few years now (won’t get into numbers :) and my hobbies have been very beneficial to me, both in passing the time plus giving me a bit of extra income as well. I sew and sell some wholesale as well as in a shop on Etsy. I love the challenge of finding the right fabric (even though I have way, way too much already) that my customers will like. I do like the silversmithing/metals idea and jewelry making. Some of the designs you artists come up with are so beautiful.

It sounds like your hip has healed well. My OS said no PT needed, too, although he did give me a script for some. I went a few times but didn’t find it helpful so I soon stopped going and my hip healed just fine. Hopefully by now those muscles are feeling much better.

4. desertrat

desertrat junior member

@GrannyC I'm hoping to make a little money with my jewelry too, was thinking of an Etsy store. But I don't want to count on it - that would kind of take the fun out of it. I used to sew too, made some of my own clothes, but haven't much in many years. Every few years I make a new Halloween costume just for fun - yes I still get dressed up and go out, lol. I might start again now that I'm retired - you just inspired me to make a few of my own items. Fabric is fun - I love beautiful fiber but don't want to start another medium - trying to dabble in too many now. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. desertrat

desertrat junior member

Well, it's my 3 month hipversery :beer:. All is well and my leg is feeling stronger - "log leg" is pretty much gone. Leg is still a little sore and gets tired easy. I think it's time to start building my stamina, which I haven't done much of yet. OS said use stationary bike so I need to start that. I'm afraid I've gained a couple of pounds, which I couldn't afford to do, :nah: sitting too much, so I have to reverse that! I think I'm ready to try some yoga too. I used to be pretty serious about it but kind of gave up in recent years - it was so painful and awkward with my hip. So nice to have some range of motion again - haven't pushed it yet though. I'll be cautious - don't want to mess this up.

I'm officially retired now and looking forward to more time to go to the gym and hike and do a million other things. @Debru4 you mentioned feeling like you haven't done enough of what you thought you would, but you also said you've done a lot of traveling, which to me is a major accomplishment. Don't be so hard on yourself - you are not even fully healed with well under a year. Sounds like you've done really well, with retirement and healing. I forgot, did you say you traveled some since the surgery?

@Layla didn't you say you ordered a Total Gym? Have you used it and if so, how do you like it? I'm trying to get more regular with mine.

6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @desertrat
    Happy Three Month Anniversary! Thanks for the update.
    It sounds like you're doing well and your leg is feeling stronger....yay! :yay:
    I'm sure the soreness and fatigue is your body's way of slowing you down. You'll have to let us know how the exercise bike and Yoga work out. I did get the Total Gym and I do like it!

Congrats on your retirement also. What a change, new hip, new lifestyle. I hope your retirement evolves into all you dreamed it would be.
    Have a great rest of the week!

• Like Like x 1
  7. desertrat

desertrat junior member

Went for a 4 mile hike Wed morning. It was really nice out, balmy and breezy with a thin cloud cover so it didn't get too warm. It's about to start heating up here. That's my husky mix, Shiro.
    20190327_095130.jpg 20190327_095533.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mojo333

:happyfeet:Happy dance for you...at not even 4 months out.
    The beautiful desert pics made me a bit melancholy.
    Spent several years as a small child in small town in Arizona and playing in the desert. Truly wonderful memories!
    Onward and upward!:yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Layla

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
    Hope you're doing well. I like your hiking photos.
    So wonderful to get back to the things we love.
    Wishing you only the best moving forward!
    @desertrat

10. desertrat

desertrat junior member

Thanks @Layla, you are always so kind. I'm still doing great and improving. I feel pretty strong and confident now, but still a little nervous about falling or dislocating. I still get stiff when I sit for a while and have to do the "stutter step" for a few. :old: Will probably go for another hike in the morning. :walking: I'm trying to get serious about exercising. I hope everyone else is doing well.

11. Layla

Kind words...aww shucks :blush: Thank you, sweet one.

I don't know if the fear of falling and dislocating ever leaves us completely. I hope so, but
    it still crosses my mind especially living where I do with snowy, icy pavements and parking lots for a good part of the year. You're lucky to be able to exercise in the desert. I'll bet it's pretty peaceful there.
    Happy hiking....I hope you're able to fit another one in today! :SUNsmile:
    @desertrat

• Like Like x 1
  12. desertrat

desertrat junior member

Today is 6 months for me! My hip feels almost normal - most of the time I pretty much forget about it. Stutter step is gone and it feels strong and stable. I'm not assuming it is healed though, I know that takes a while and I'm still careful with it, but I feel like I can push it a little with confidence. Hope everyone else is doing well. Summer has arrived here in the desert after a long lovely mild spring - 111 degrees F today, ugh!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mojo333

:wave:Splendid update and so glad to hear an update @desertrat :egypdance:
    Alot of new recovering hippys on the forum are sure to take heart and will be happy to hear you are doing well!

I saw improvement for up to and even over a year and I love that this surgery can reset our lives.:yes!:
    Continued happy healing!:roseshwr:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

I was so happy to see your update! I had a similar experience around 5-6 months---I realized that the stutter steps, twinges, and so many of the things that had previously caught my attention were gone. I never was totally sure when each left for good, but they did. :flwrysmile:

Do you stay in Arizona throughout the winter, or travel to cooler places? Any summer trip plans? 111 degrees sounds a tad warm, although it has been unseasonably cool here in CO this spring and summer so far. I'd love a happy medium between your temps and some of ours!

I was in Arizona one summer many years ago when I was in my twenties. We were traveling---stopped at a laundromat to wash our clothes and saw a tennis court right across the street. We went over to play for awhile, and several people came by and told us to stop---it was 112 degrees out and they were worried about us:) The heat was so nice and dry that it didn't feel quite that high to us. Temperatures, humidity, hydration.....all so unique to various parts of the country. Here in CO, visitors ofter struggle with elevation sickness and dehydration from not drinking enough, even though it isn't that hot up there.

Are you enjoying retirement? How do you find yourself spending your time?

• Like Like x 1
  15. desertrat

desertrat junior member

Hi @Debru4, nice to hear from you! How are you doing these days? Have you done any traveling? I don't have any trips planned but Boyfriend and I want to go wine tasting around the state one of these days. Believe it or not, there are several vineyard/wineries around AZ. :beer: They are in higher cooler areas. One of these years I want to go to Europe, especially Italy and Greece. I do stay in AZ through the summer but I'd like to rent a cabin for a month in Northern AZ during the worst heat. That would be fun, and much cheaper and easier than buying and maintaining property somewhere.

I can't believe you were playing tennis in 112 degrees! That's dangerous - when it's so hot and dry you can get dehydrated very quickly. People die getting lost out hiking every year. You must have been so into it you didn't notice the heat! :tennis:

I haven't done a whole lot yet since retiring - mostly loafing, lol, kind of started some purging of my house - it needs a serious deep cleaning. I do a little more cooking than I used to and I want to do better eating healthy - need to lose some weight! I'm taking a class at the Mesa Arts Center and will be doing a lot more of that - so much fun. I'm enjoying the heck out of retirement though! :happydance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1