THR Anterior THR

Happy one month Hipversary.
You sound like you are being very mindful about recovery and it Does keep getting better and better.
Lots of healing still happening...and there will be a day that you won't be focusing on that hip replacement:yes:
This is the good old "hurry up and wait" period:umm:
Stay patient...you've got this!:friends:
 
I'm getting around fine with a cane and barely put weight on it (the cane) most of the time, but my right leg still feels a little weak/unstable if I don't use the cane. My left side wants to sink a little - maybe I need to walk unaided a little more often. I can walk a little without it and have been, in the house a little at a time. I was originally given 6 weeks off work, but I work in a clean room factory and walk a lot (it's huge!) and can't take the cane in with me unless they come up with one cleared for the clean room - doubtful. I'm thinking I will have to take a little more time off (how awful, lol). I plan to retire a couple of months after I go back - determined to work until 67 for financial reasons (more social security.) Thought about putting off the surgery until retired but working (12 hour nights - compressed work week) was getting really grueling. Surgeon suggested going ahead with it so I did. Glad I did it now but need to go back and at least finish training my replacement. Looking forward to going on permanent vacation with a new good hip!:egypdance::happydance:
 
Last edited:
@Wayfarer you retired first but will continue to work? Does that mean you are changing careers? I plan to have an encore career as an artist - metalsmithing and sculpture - mostly making jewelry, but not banking on it. You are a bit younger than me though. Have to toil away for a little longer - sorry. :sad:
 
Just being facetious desert; got a graduate degree, then starting traveling around the world. Was wearing a toolbelt, banging nails to support my travels. Didn’t really get a “career” till my mid-30’s. Had a brief stint at the latter in between undergrad and grad skool. No regrets and always great to read/hear about those getting close retirement!
 
Oh, I thought it was a fall. I have also had a couple almost "brain glitches" since I have been home. Gotta really be careful on picking stuff up if my wife is not within yelling distance.

I am still very early in the recovery phase but love to hear others that do well and that gives people like me something to look forward to. Hiking, Biking, and fishing will come soon. Hopefully before spring/ summer.

Spending time reading these threads also makes you feel bad for the people who are in pain and had something go wrong.
 
Only one month out @desertrat
Progress sounds very good to me and quite normal.
They did quite a job "metalsmithing" on us.:heehee:

Love that you are thinking of doing something you have a love for...it is truly the best scenario for a happy life.
I have my job...but I have hopes for my "career" in wildlife management.
Bad hips and declining health almost put the kabosh on that...but now...the sky's the limit.:yes:
Slow and steady wins this race...so stay mindful and steady.
You will get there!:loveshwr:
 
You're doing great @desertrat at only one month post op. You have months to go until complete healing so lots and lots of room for improvement. Retirement will be sweet. How exciting.
Wishing you a great week :SUNsmile:
 
I thought I'd jump back over here to respond on your thread, since we were on goblue's thread. First of all, I'm glad to hear you weren't in excruciating pain for 10 years! My right shoulder has a small bicep tear and a bone spur that will probably need addressed in the future....it flares up a bit, then is fine, on and off. I guess by the time I have to deal with it surgically, I may be over 10 years out as well. I understand shoulder surgery has a longer, more difficult recovery, so I'm hopeful if I monitor my lifting/use I can baby it along forever....

I am so happy for you that you are going to be able to retire soon from a job that obviously has you on your feet a great deal. How long have you worked this particular job? Your second career goal sounds wonderful.....I live in an amazing community that draws a lot of artists----and sculptors in particular---Loveland, CO. Every year we have a Sculpture in the Park show that draws world renown artists----and tens of thousands of people from all over the world. If you ever are interested in a "field trip" you should come up for it:) Here is a link to learn more about it. https://www.sculptureinthepark.org

I would think that since you dealt with your hip for ten years most likely you had readjusted your gait and whole body to accommodate it. Now you are having to readjust again. I will still get knee pain sometimes---and each time I do, I try not to worry that it is back or knee related---that it just is that readjustment process.

It sounds like you are right on track for about one month out....yeah!:flwrysmile:
 
@Debru4 yes, I guess we should come back to this thread. I had an extensive repair on my right shoulder almost 3 years ago and it was a lot harder than this. It bothered me off and on for years and finally got bad enough it was interfering with my use of my arm. They repaired 2 rotator cuff tendons and the large biceps tendon - they were badly frayed. I had to wear a sling with a pillow attachment for 6 weeks (at the end I only wore it to sleep.) Didn't drive for a whole month and did physical therapy for 6 months, which was quite painful at times, when they stretched my shoulder. It's fine now - not trying to discourage you - I'm glad I got it fixed but would not care to do it again. :holysheep::) :-) (:

I admire you for being a teacher - that is hard! Glad you did something you loved - not everyone can do that, and got to retire early! My closest friend is a teacher who works with special needs kids in their homes. She is a superhero. She loves her work but is tired of the politics.

I've been fixing machines in the semiconductor industry for my whole career - about 40 years - after doing 4 years in the army back in the 70s. Yep I'm old. My job is actually physically easy now except for the walking on hard floors, but in the past I've done a lot of wrenching and lifting stuff that was a little too heavy for me, and sometimes had to get into awkward positions to work on something. I used to pump iron just to keep up. Guess I beat myself up a little. It's been a cool career though - Motorola sent me to both coasts (San Jose, CA - Silicon valley, and the Boston, MA area) for training on the equipment several times, and I made a good living. Worked there for 30 years, then they closed the plant I worked at. Been at Intel for 8 years. Gonna go on permanent vacation with my boyfriend soon! He's moving in after I'm done working nights. He took care of me for this and my shoulder surgery which was nice since he's a retired ICU nurse. I was in very good hands.
 
My doctor suggested surgery about 5 years ago, while I was still teaching, after PT didn't help much. I opted to wait and am glad I did. I understand that in many other countries they don't do surgery for bicep tears. I have been guilty of trying to carry too many heavy things, lugging multiple bags of soil, large branches, etc. when I garden, which I do extensively from spring through fall. I started being more careful----one bag at a time, using a yard cart, lopping the branches into smaller pieces to carry, and that backing off seems to have done the trick.

I also have heard what an extensive surgery/rehab the shoulder is---I am hopeful I can maintain, because it sounds awful. Obviously, when you reach the point, as you must have, where the pain and loss of mobility are too great, then you have to do it!

From the time I was a little girl, I wanted to be a teacher, so being able to spend 38+ years following my passion was a gift. Your friend is correct----lots of challenges in teaching are related to politics, excessive micromanagement by legislators whose only experience in education was that they were students at one time, unfunded mandates, etc. The challenges society is facing get transferred to our schools as well. Even then, it is a very rewarding way to spend one's life!

Sounds like you have been a bit of a trail blazer in your career---did you always have an aptitude for fixing things/exploring how things work? What a long, interesting career you have had! I am so happy for you that you will soon be able to get off those hard floors. Even when teaching, the floors are notorious for causing back and foot problems---being on your feet all day with thin industrial carpet laid over a concrete slab.
 
@desertrat one thing to keep in mind re: inversion tables, chiropractors, total gyms and suchlike. The surgeon who did my first hip said that takes 12 weeks for the prosthetic to fully merge w the bone. He advocated for veeerrrryyyy careful for those first 3 months. I wasn’t allowed to go say “hi” to my ponies just Incase they bumped into me.
 
@tollertwins Yep, after I thought about the inversion table thing, I realised it would be pulling on the thigh implant the wrong direction. Probably not a good idea. My chiro says he's worked on people with recent hip replacements but the surgeon said no so I'll be good for a while. I didn't ask him (the surgeon) how long it will take for the bone to grow into the implant but I'd think it's at least as long as you said - will have to ask him next visit.
 
How long are you slated to continue seeing your surgeon? I was essentially released by mine at 6 weeks since he felt I was doing so well, and the X-rays looked good. He said to come back if ever I had concerns, and to schedule an appointment in a year if I felt I wanted to. He is one of the best surgeons in our region---excellent reviews/surgery rates. He is very accessible so I don't worry I have been abandoned, but I did expect more monitoring in the interim.

In terms of the inversion table/chiropractor, do be very careful. I sure wouldn't have a chiropractor doing any adjustments on my back, legs, or hip if it meant twisting the body. If they were just using the electronic stimulator or more massage techniques, maybe.
 
@Debru4 I'm supposed to see him Thursday - that will be just over 6 wks. I don't know after that, I was kind of assuming 6 months or so but he didn't say. He might turn me loose. I'm kind of surprised yours released you that soon. I'm going to ask him for another week off work though - not quite ready to walk that much but I'm getting close if I use the cane. I'm not ready to go into the clean room (factory) though, without the cane. I went to see a friend a couple of days ago and was thrilled that I'm able to lift my surgery leg into the car now without helping it. My car is a Subaru Forester and so is a little tall, so I have to lift my right leg kind of high to get into the driver seat. Small victories, lol. :loll:

As for the chiropractor, I won't let them twist me - I've had two different ones hurt my ribs doing that, maybe because I have some scoliosis. I only go to chiros that use an air table that drops away when they adjust my hips. The chiro I go to now said he could just use the activator, which is a handheld instrument that nudges things into place. He has several patients that have hip replacements but I'm not going until the surgeon says it's okay, at least not for a while. I won't use the inversion table until he says it's okay. I hope I can eventually - it really unkinks my back. My back has been a lot better since the hip replacement though - I couldn't straighten up all the way and was walking bent forward. My lower back ached badly when I was standing. I can stand a lot longer now without discomfort and can walk upright.:) :-) (:
 
thrilled that I'm able to lift my surgery leg into the car
:happydance:
Small victories are inspiring. You sound very well.

My surgeon had me see him at 10 days, two months, 6 months and then one year.
I think you are wise to take all the time you can before going back to work.
Once you are there...you are there.
I know.:umm:
 
Hi @desertrat ,
My post op visits were 3 weeks, 3 months, one year.
One year seems very common from what I've read here.
I hope you get the extra week off work. One more week of rest and healing.
I feel apprehensive about Chiropractic since THR. I haven't been back, but not feeling the need either, thankfully! The inversion table also frightens me. I'm very curious to hear at what point your surgeon feels it's safe.
Wishing you the best with your appt on Thursday. Let us know how it goes.
Happy Monday!
 
I definitely plan to go back at the one year mark---and am hoping nothing "exciting" comes up before then to require a visit sooner--haha!

Also hoping no other body parts decide to fall apart in the interim ---I've instituted a "no more than one body part replaced every 10 years" rule. Hope the body is listening:)
 
Today is my 6 week "hipversary." I'm walking more without the cane - mostly need it the first few steps after I sit for a while as I stiffen up some. I walked almost 3000 steps yesterday (kept forgetting to track them) but I normally walk 8-10K steps at work, my record is 13000. That's in a 12 hour shift (only 3-4 days a week but still exhausting.) I see the surgeon tomorrow and will ask him to give me a couple more weeks off or at least go back part time. I contacted my supervisor and he said not to come back before I'm ready and we can find stuff outside the wafer fab (factory) for me to do for a while. He knows I have a short timer attitude anyway - going to retire shortly after I get back, lol. :egypdance::yes!:
 
Back
Top Bottom