Guest viewing is limited

THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

@Eman85 . Thank you for sharing your experience.
Very simple question...did you just lay in bed for those three weeks?
B/C I'm unclear if I should do that. Then I worry about muscles atrophying.
Today, is a 9-10 on pain scale. Not good. Its like I have to hold posterior portion of hip joint when I walk.
Thank you , everybody.
I sent a message to OS thru portal. Lets see what happens.
 
@Layla , dear sweet Layla, Your compassion and kindness knows no bounds.
Thank you for that link. I will show to my family and perhaps we can get the image posted here .
I’m icing and resting for the rest of night.
I will keep you updated
Hugs
 
@AnnieRose2 i am so sorry to read about your pain and setback. But I have a feeling you're going to get it straightened out soon. I'm not a doctor ...or nurse ....or even a veterinarian....!! But my hunches have excellent averages at being right. I would say your body is speaking to you now, with the pain, and it does not make sense at this point that it would be saying, "More PT". Pain shouts are calling for you to rest the affected area it would seem... Especially if you're at a 9 in intensity. That's severe. Muscles won't atrophy overnight. You probably overdid it at some point and your body needs a decent downtime break to get busy on the repair work. You need to put a big yellow "Under construction" sign over your bed and a big ice pack on your hip. And just rest. Wishing you answers and healing very soon
 
Layla is amazing, isn't she? It is like she can read our minds and know exactly what we are thinking. And she is always so helpful and comforting.

I agree with her about the PT and cutting back. If you read the literature here on BS, they are always staying we don't need PT to heal. My OS told me the same thing. However, there is something about having this major surgery that makes us feel like we need to "work on our recovery" by doing lots of PT. More often than not, when I have read posts here on the forum where people are in pain, it turns out they are overdoing it. When you stop and think that you are only about 6 weeks out from this surgery and although the incision is looking healed, it can take up to a year for everything inside to heal. My OS gave me a script for PT, too, even though he said I didn't need it and I don't really know why he did. I went a couple times but definitely didn't overdo but after those few times, I stopped going. I had read so much here on BS that I stopped.

As far as normal, I don't think there is a normal as we are all so different. Just hang in there and rest, ice and elevate and give that hip some time to heal!! :loveshwr:
 
@AnnieRose2 No, I didn't lay in bed, just spent a lot of time in the recliner. I used both ice and heat to see what results I got, ice was always better. I was pretty active up until that point and it had me worried. I never contacted OS and finally came to the conclusion it was all muscle pain. What's odd about this whole deal is the feelings from muscles that you've never felt before. Sure in athletics or even physically demanding work you tax muscles, but they are the common ones. With this you feel things and can't separate whether it's muscles or problems with the replacement, very troubling!
While I was hurting I did have my daughter visit, she's a yoga and fitness instructor. We went over the muscle groups and looked at the forum links on the different muscle groups and then I would do the simple stretches from the links and what she used. I'm still doing them, especially when I forget to do them and start to get stiff or sore.
 
Pain shouts are calling for you to rest the affected area it would seem... Especially if you're at a 9 in intensity. That's severe. Muscles won't atrophy overnight. You probably overdid it at some point and your body needs a decent downtime break to get busy on the repair work.[/QUOTE

I agree...please know we understand but being extra lazy won't hurt at this point.
Gaming hugs coming your way
 
I received answers from the OS regarding this “drop”.
He said it is Not a loose rod/ prosthesis.
Whew!
I had a very gentle PT session with Charles. He is reassuring and wants me to walk...not lay around like I’ve been doing. We did some ROM and when I relaxed , I was impressed with my progress. I have to relax and trust.
Right now, I’m still having pain, but mentally I’m getting to my good place.
Thanks again to all my fellow hipsters. :)
 
Hi @AnnieRose2
Great news! You're making your way back to your happy place.
I'ts wonderful to read you're feeling reassured and Charles sounds like he's good for you right now.
A gentle, calming influence. Hopefully the pain begins easing soon.
Sending love and a warm hug! :loveshwr: :friends:
 
:yes!: That had to be reassuring!
Keep the faith AnnieRose!
We are rooting for you!:friends:
 
Last edited:
Glad you got some clarification on what OS meant. Even when I was hurting proper walking wasn't a problem. I still say the easiest walking is pushing a shopping cart, it stops you from doing anything wrong and makes it easy to heel/toe it and not limp at all. Ever since pre-op class I'm conscious of germs and wipe the cart down with the germ wipes.
 
I've met with five different PTs and all had quite different ideas on my recovery path. I brought it up at my 4-wk post op meeting. My OS advised to approach PT and recovery in general not in athletic way but rather in tai-chi way. One can tell that he had just returned from China from medical robotic conference. Anyway I saw enough tai chi on my way to work from subway station walking through Chinatown parks to understand what he meant.
 
Hey Annie,
Wondering how the week is going? I hope the pain is easing as well as your worries.
Wanted to stop by and wish you a good day and great weekend.
I hope things are looking up for you.
Hugs
@AnnieRose2
 
@Layla . Thank you for thinking of me. Yes , hearing from the OS calmed my nerves. I still have pain when I sit and " log leg " when I get up in AM. When I do heel slides and other stretches , the pain subsides. I'm still using the walker for any outside strolls. In the house , I'm cheating and using the cane. Sometimes, no cane.
I think I'm my worst enemy.

Charles, My PT allowed me to gently massage the upper thigh, not the scar , just the area below and that feels good. The upper thigh is starting to soften, a good sign.

I'm in the middle of week 6, still early.

Relax and Trust.
 
@AnnieRose2 all sounds good. When I was hurting I would get my wife to massage my L side around the scar and the main muscle behind it all down my leg, it felt a lot better! I've lost track of your posts and how much mobiity or any restrictions you have. I had the 90* deal and those muscles were tight. When I was first allowed to tie my shoes, wash my feet and cut my nails it didn't take long to hurt myself doing that. It would feel like a pull or tear inside, like things healed wrong and were releasing. Strange feeling to say the least. Heel slides and other stretches would make it feel better.
 
@Eman85 . , “ it would feel like a pull or a tear inside.”

That’s what my thigh feels like all the time. Like the muscle is contracted , not long enough, needs to be stretched.
Today, the back of my knee hurts. Leg doesn’t look swollen and is not hot.
(Oh , all this stuff.. Said with exhaustion.)
I’m glad you shared your experience with me.
Prior to my surgery, my mental timeline was 3 months before I complained or got worried.
My mindset was going to be “ all this is normal healing”.
HA.
Quoting John Lennon...Mind games, forever

Thank you . You always have encouragement for me. Much appreciated
 
Don't forget the bum squeezes it helps all the bum I band muscles and back sciatica. I finally had bio drug injection into herniated disk .
 
@1stSurgery
Hagen daz, Swiss vanilla almond with whipped cream!

Agree , agree. What is next?
Remember in the beginning the pride we took in getting that log leg up on the bed , unassisted?
Mastering that grabby thing?
A shower! Washing our hair?
I guess I have a longer out look now...achievements might not come as quick.
Yea , this is getting old.

Gotta keep on moving forward. No choice.
I got plans !
 
Back
Top Bottom