THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

AnnieRose2

Country
United States United States
Hello . This is my third day in hospital and I am being discharged.
Overall I'm ok. I had posterior-lateral approach. I have universal hip precautions . I can do anything except extreme movements. Like no you poses

The post op pain is between 7-8. I had problems with opioids. Bladder and bowel retention. My advice drink water and move as soon as you can.

The food is so good in this hospital. My husband said he's going to take me out to dinner and bring me here

Congrats on the new hip - let the healing begin! Good to hear your food was good, but hopefully you can get your pain knocked down a little. Going home will make you feel better too.

Hi @AnnieRose2
Welcome to Recovery! :welome: It's good to hear you're going home.
You may want to talk to your OS about adjusting your meds before you are discharged
if your pain is consistently at a 7-8.
I love your husbands comment about taking you out to dinner at the hospital
because the food is so good. Sounds like you'll have a live in comedian for your recovery.

Please read the Recovery Article below and stop back often. We'd love to follow your journey.
Safe travels home today!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

AnnieRose is on the mend.:yahoo:
I do remember how rough these first days are, so plenty of sympathy hugs coming your way.
Just keep thinking temporary!
You know ice is your best friend and try to remember through all this yucky recovery mess, that it is just the beginning of a life without chronic hip pain.
Hope you have an easier day.:console2:

Hi Annie Rose.
I remember the food at my hospital was good as well. Told my wife same thing your husband said. We should come back here to eat. Lol.
Welcome to the group. Let us know how your recovery goes.

First full day home. Daily life was disorganized, even tho I thought I had pre planned and was prepared. By the evening , we got a routine going.
Speaking of “going,” , I had bladder retention while in hospital. I was straight Catheterized about 5 times. Very rough time..
I’m still not normal so I have an urologist appt. Monday.
I had PT today and he reported I was strong. . He will come 5 days a week for 2 weeks . The foot glide exercise was tough.
I have pain in groin and at incision . I’m taking non opioid pain medicine ( tramadol) and icing..the opioid may be causing my bladder problem.
Till next post..I’ll be Moving Forward

I had the bladder retention issue as well. Cathed both THR . The revision the 3rd hip replacement the doctor gave me meds to take to relax the bladder it helped a lot and did not need a cath the third time. The meds for anesthesia always takes the bladder longer to wake up .
Take it slow and easy don’t rush and don’t compare your recovery to anyone else. Be mindful of all movements. It takes the brain time to adjust and make new pathways for movement with a new prothesis. Most docs don’t let patients aren’t always informed of the brain adjustments as well as the body adjusting . All the nerves, muscles tendons are all effected. Rest, ice, compress and elevate.and when your ready for PT ask for zero gravity treadmill. It adds body weight as tolerated. Nerdy helpful with building core strength and getting legs back in shape.
Many healing blessings sent your way.a

Hi @AnnieRose2
Happy to hear you're home. It is different adjusting to your "temporary normal" at first.
I recall it taking some time to get used to so many things being out of place for convenience
sake. I'm sure you'll easily fall into a routine. Sorry you're having the bladder issue. Hopefully it resolves soon. Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.:)

:hi: Sorry for the rough start.
Glad that hip is sorted and that you are on the healing side.
Keep that ice cranking and know I am wishing you all the best.:ice:

I’m glad to see you on the recovery side @AnnieRose2 . I personally would recommend you take it very easy with the PT and DON’T do anything that hurts. If you go back to the post from Layla above and look at the Big Tip near the end of her post, you will be reminded that BS doesn’t recommend PT. Despite that, I did do a couple sessions but the lady who came to my house that first week mostly told me and showed me things I could do and didn’t have me do much at all. After that I went to outpatient PT a couple times and then stopped as OS reminded me again that I didn’t need and I’m just fine now over a year out.

I’m sure it seems different not to be able to do all that you are accustomed to doing but things will improve quickly now. I hope the bladder issue resolved. I needed a catch the first time I had to go and nurse explained that anesthesia sort of puts your bladder to sleep and sometimes it takes it a while to wake back up. I was lucky as I only needed cath one time but know that varies from one person to the next.

Get plenty of rest, ice (great pain reliever) and elevate. You are well on your way to recovery and life with no more hip pain!! Wishing you well!! :yes!::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Hello everyone! I'm going home today. I had to stay an extra day as my blood pressure was so low I couldn't do any PT. I'm off the Narco meds and on Tylenol. I had an opposite urinary issue...I could not stop peeing and filled the catheter bags quickly and was calling staff for bathroom every hour after catheter removed! Dr told me there was more damage "corrosion" in hip than MRI showed. I'm ready to go home! u worked in a hospital that had great food and in spite of all the gear care where I am the food is not too good. in ready for hubs to grill me a steak. I'll look forward to healing with all of you!

@AnnieRose2 Sorry to hear you are having bladder problems. I hope they have been resolved. I imagine we will all be surprised at how unprepared we actually are when we get home. I'm trying to prepare myself, but I'm sure I'll be surprised by a few things. Glad to hear you are getting into a "routine". I will be having my surgery at the same hospital that both my kids were born in, and that my oldest son had his appendix out and a pilonidal cyst removed. I stayed overnight with him both times. The food has always been very good there, so I'm hoping it still is! :heehee: You are making me want to cross the state line and find your hospital now. Food is a big motivator. :snork:

Hi AnnieRose. Welcome home! I look forward to hearing about your healing process and supporting each other on this journey.❤️

I’m glad to see you on the recovery side @AnnieRose2 . I personally would recommend you take it very easy with the PT and DON’T do anything that hurts.
Totally agree with this.
It set me back early in my recovery...all can be worked on much later.
Hope you are seeing that once the tough stuff eases, you have a new hip and life with no hip pain.
Take all slow and easy...and know that we are rooting for you!:yahoo:

Today is my 1 week Bionic hip Anniversary. I think I’m doing ok. Just get real tired. No reason why, but I’m not getting ahead of my pain, as everybody tells me ...I wait till it’s oh oh , and then take something..I’m switching between 25mg tramadol and Tylenol. I also take Mobic, anti inflammatory.
The water proof bandage is off. I got kinda sad when I saw the wound. 31 staples out next Tuesday.
How painful? I have no choice..lol ..they gotta come out.
Im wearing calf cuffs. I have to wear them for 20 hours a day..instead of those stockings , to prevent blood clots. They massage my legs. Feels ok. But I have to remember to bring along this little battery pack. I have a little basket hooked on my walker. It holds my glasses and other stuff, too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bonehenge
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom