Guest viewing is limited

THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

For the viewing discussion - we watched Isle of Dogs last night. It's animation but beautifully done with many known actors doing the narration and good music. I really enjoyed it as did hubby and Togo.
 
I went to my Outpatient PT today..
As I was checking in, I got this new sensation/ pain in the hip. It felt like a cluster of electrical tingles.
I fell apart emotionally. Saying that’s it, I can’t do this. I’m done. A breakdown at reception desk..Yikes!
Somehow, , I pulled myself together and went into treatment room.
Charles is my PT..he’s is a very gentle and kind man. He did an evaluation and started me on very mild exercises. We talked about this femur drop. He was familiar with it and felt it would not interfere with my recovery. He observed my walking / gait and was happy with that. Overall, he is confident that I will be ok. The electrical tingles are nerves healing.
He gave me the go-ahead to do more home exercises..but nothing with full weight bearing on affected leg.
Seeing Charles today put me a in hopeful place. I know him from previous treatments, and I trust his ability and skills..
Bottom line, this is a my roller coaster, first falling apart emotionally and then leaving in a upbeat mood.
The body and mind/ emotions are healing.
Go slow.
 
Last edited:
As I was checking in, I got this new sensation/ pain in the hip. It felt like a cluster of electrical tingles.
I had the same...and then just every now and then...then don't zaps out of the blue.
All normal...all recovery mess.
Yes, it's slow...but gets better.
Don't worry! On your side!:friends:
 
Hi Annie,
I'm happy you're having a good day and feeling more hopeful. I think you have every reason to have hope.

I recall that feeling you described well. Felt like little shocks or prickly sensations.
That's your body doing as it should, healing itself. Yay! :yay:
There are many odd sensations and unless they are excruciating, or progressively getting worse, I'd try not to get unnerved and just ride them out. It seemed what was "here one day" was gone the next. Sometimes within minutes, or the hour even.

Wondering why your OS is recommending PT if he feels your implant slipped? I know we're not supposed to sit and gel like a jello mold but I do believe in the BoneSmart mantra (below) that hips don't really need PT to get better.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hopefully Charles is as gentle as can be with you, and only helps without hindering your recovery. Take it slow and easy and if anything hurts, please stop. Don't power through.

Recovery can be an emotional experience with ups and downs. You're not alone. We're here and will continue to offer support and encouragement in any way we can.

Hope the weekend brings you peace and happiness. Sending some love and a hug your way. :loveshwr: :friends:
 
@Layla. Dear sweet Layla, Thank you for encouraging words.

You bring up a very good point. The OS said Dropped. Is that the same as slipped ? Is that the same as loose? Because I don’t know. I know you don’t know either and are being concerned. I wish I could go back and ask.

I was in a state that literally, my brain turned off. I see the OS in one month.

I’m not doing anything that hurts. Most of the limited PT was isometric. And no weight bearing on affected leg at all. I know I have to move..muscles will atrophy.

Trust is the operative word now.
 
My OS has a nurse that fields calls and a patient portal so you can get questions answered and things clarified. I'm bad for getting home and then thinking of all the questions I should have asked or not remembering instructions clearly. I still get tingles, pinches and zaps, had some today. The isometric flexes and rom exercises always made me feel better. I was stiff this morning so I laid down and started with the basic PT and some added stretches and it made me feel better. 95%!
 
@Eman85 .thank you for that advice..My OS has a patient portal that allows me to ask questions. Plus I have an interactive patient app that sends me exercise videos and monitors my condition.
I use both. But I haven’t asked about this latest development.

My plan is “ 95% get better”

Thanks for the encouragement. :prayer:
 
That's great! I'm always surprised at the posts I see where their OS is very unavailable. Where in NY are you? I'm from LI originally.
 
@Eman85 . You inspired me to send him a note.
Let’s see what happens. I’ve had unanswered messages. A comment on state of medicine today.
I’m live in Rockland County. I had surgery @ NYU Joint Diseases in the City
 
Last edited:
An unanswered message is what prompted me to change OS. Before I was quite ready for surgery, I had visited an OS for a diagnosis. A short time after the visit, I had a simple question so I left message on patient portal. After a week with no response, I called and left message and still no response. After about another week, I got back on patient portal and sent a note saying I had contacted office twice with no response so I really didn’t have much confidence in that office to perform surgery on me. The very next morning the dr himself called me. He apologized profusely saying patient portal didn’t always work well but since I had called as well, he couldn’t figure out why I hadn’t been contacted. I appreciated the call but just couldn’t gather up enough confidence to use him for surgery so I switched and it turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve made. My new OS does around 500 hip/knees a year and is excellent. Even some of the nurses had used him which says a lot.

At one time I think BS was considering or working on a list of good doctors but I don’t know if that was ever put out or not. Maybe they are still working on it??

@AnnieRose2 I like your 95% thoughts and feel you will fall right in there with the rest of the 95%’ers! Wishing you all the best.
 
@GrannyC , Prior to surgery , the OS was attentive, and did not rush the office visits. I had no reason to contact him thru the portal, prior to surgery. I sent a message and refill for prescription on Friday. Let's see what happens.
It's too late for me switch out now. Kinda stuck , here
 
:fingersx: you hear back from him soon.
Wishing you all the good mojo I can muster:angel:
 
Bad day today. I did some heel slides and isometric squeezes and walked in the house with the walker The burning pain is still in the buttocks and pain down the outside of thigh. Very discouraged. I see outpatient PT tomorrow.

i'm trying to stay away from Dr. Google. The last time I looked, I was convinced I need a revision..
Way to go, Ms. Positive.
Lots of feelings and anger of regret about surgery. I had hip pain for about 2 years, had 2 injections and when I had a hip pain attack, I was in tears.
It's hard for me to remember that pain when I have this pain.
" What did I did I do" tape is running in my head.
 
Aww, poor dear, Annie Rose,

That darned Google is a blessing and a curse :good-bad:It is so hard to stay away from.....but try really hard.

It can fill your head with unnecessary worries making everything feel worse.
I'm worried about you continuing PT if you're in pain.

Are these your worries -
Prosthetic dropped, will it be okay?
Pain, what's it's origin? Is it directly associated with the dropped prosthetic?
Should I, or shouldn't I, engage in PT?
Just trying to get a firm grasp on all....
@AnnieRose2
 
@Layla . Yes , you articulated my fears and confusion.

The OS wrote a new script for limited PT.. 2 times a week. The first session was so mild, I wonder if it was worth the effort to get there. I will evaluate after tomorrow session.

Why would he send me to PT if it would worsen this “ dropped “ rod? Is he crazy?

I cut back on walking. Most of my day is laying in bed. I wish I knew “ what is normal”. There is no normal. We all are unique and heal differently.

I’m going to use your questions in my next message to OS.

So clear and to the point. I get my emotions all tied up that I can’t think straight.
Thank you.
AR2







D if it worth the effort to get there.
 
@Josephine
These questions are in regard to Post #110
What causes a prosthetic to drop/slip? Her OS said it dropped one millimeter.
How common is it?
Would you agree with Annie's OS that 95% of the time this can turn out ok?
What would your recommendations be as far as weight bearing, PT etc
 
Well..... @AnnieRose2
Do you have, or are you able to get a copy of your x-rays for Josephine to look at.
She's had 50+ yrs experience in Orthopedics. Sure wouldn't hurt to have a second set of eyes
look at your X-rays.
 
Last edited:
@AnnieRose2 I had a pretty good set back at over 3mos out. I was down and second guessing whether I had screwed things up as the pain was relentless. A few weeks of taking it real easy and icing got me back to where I was before I overdid it. It was a lot of self diagnosing to reassure myself I did no damage to the replacement, it kept going through my mind. My wife and my daughter convinced me I just over did it and kept me from doing much of anything for 3 weeks, I had plans for Father's Day and I had to be better. It took the 3 weeks and I saw the improvement I needed.
As far as outside PT goes my OS didn't want any outside PT and wanted just the home stretches and exercises. I still do them when I get stiff, which is often.
 
@Layla .Thank you for consulting with Josephine. I have a CD of the post op Xray. Unfortunately, I have No Idea how to get that image on this site.
Maybe a family member will be able to do that for me. Don't even try to explain it to me. I'm still trying to figure out this forum rules ..haha
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom