Guest viewing is limited

THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

@Layla , Dear sweet Layla. you are so right...The blues , frustration, confusion, and pain. That’s some cocktail!
My husband took a break from his job today and we went out to lunch...Wendy’s. Big spender.!
We also went to CVS and I got a pill organizer..silly me , I thought I could remember what and when I took medicines.
It didn’t matter where I went, I was out in the world. Not doctor appointments or PT Sessions.
I have PT again tomorrow. I’m going to ask him if the bursitis is causing this pain on the side.
The NP called me today, (was more professional ) and she wants to speak with PT after my session.
Thank you for thinking of me...
@luvsibes ..I’m going to write you soon, dear Soul Sister. Hope you are feeling fabulous. Much love to you
 
:hi: Glad you have appointment coming up and also glad NP wants to check with PT.
How often do you do PT and what sorts of exercises are you doing?
Hopefully none with resistance bands..
Those started to cause thigh pain for me.
Have you considered giving it a rest?
Hope you find a happy distraction this weekend.
Keep the faith, AnnieRose!:friends:
 
Hi AnnieRose! I'm glad to hear you were able to get out and about some. It does help to make one feel more apart of the world. I'm also glad to hear that your medical team are starting to communicate with each other. This journey seems to be filled with ups and downs.

Good luck with PT today. Remember, if it's hurts beyond a good stretch, don't do it! It's your body and you know it best. I'll look forward to hearing how it goes and how the call with PT and NP goes.

Sending my love and best wishes to you today. I'll PM in a bit!
 
Getting out to smell the roses is a must!
It's a healthy diversion that occupies our mind with something other than recovery.
I'll bet going to PT today and simply interacting with the therapist feels positive.
Let us know how his opinion on your pain / Bursitis.
I hope your session goes well today and I'm wishing you a comfy peaceful weekend.
Big hugs you you, dear Annie.
@AnnieRose2
 
@luvsibes
@Layla @Mojo333 , here’s my PT update.
Charles, my therapist agreed I have some bursitis at the trochanter area and lumbar back pain. These two area are the cause of my pain / discomfort. Charles said bursitis is a common condition for some post op patients. He massaged the entire hip area and my lumbar spine. The spine massage was marvelous , the hip , not so much.
He wants me to self massage the incision and hip. He put me on treadmill at a very ,very slow speed and we walked the gym “sans cane”. All the while , he was offering encouraging words about my post op status. I’m stronger than I think. I’m able to leap off tall buildings in a single bound..
I felt great after the session.The hip felt released. I’m icing today and hopefully , I’m can walk this PM.
Importantly, he got me out of my 6 week blues.
It’s still going to be a challenge..but I’m ok , it’s my hip that needs to get in sync with me.
Happy weekend, hippy friends
 
:wave:Good to know it is an annoyance that can hopefully be dealt with. Good old regular old recovery mess!
A few more months, and you may leap small buildings if you don't bound and land on soft surface.:curtsey:

Hope you have the Best Weekend.:loveshwr:
 
Hi @AnnieRose2
Here is an article on Tronchanteric Bursitis. Wonder if it sounds fitting...
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/trochanteric-bursitis-with-thr.5389/

I'm happy to hear that the support and encouragement your therapist offered made you feel
like the fog lifted. You sound hopefully optimistic which is a step in the right direction.
Having a diagnosis and plan of action sometimes feels better than wondering and imagining the worst.
I hope this weekend is relaxing one and brings you lots of joy.
Big hugs coming at you :friends:
 
@Layla ..bursa article describes the exact pain I’m having.
Thank you .
I see the OS July 30. Maybe, he’ll recommend a cortisone injection. Gee , I thought I was done with those.
Taking it easy is my plan till then.
Have a good weekend.
 
:loveshwr:Hi Soul Sister! I'm glad the OS visit and PT went well and you have clearer info and directions. I know your strong spirit will carry you through these next steps. I'm cheering you on! Keep your eye on the prize and your vision for the future. I'll PM later today! Sending lots of hugs and love to you my friend!
 
Hi Annie,
Just wanted to drop by, say Hi and try to offer you some encouragement.
I noticed on Yokesgirl's thread you went on an outing this morning.
First time driving....Congrats! That always feels like an accomplishment.
You mentioned it became too much at the grocery store and felt the need to bail on your hubby.
Please realize at this point, that is okay. I'm wondering if you've fallen into the trap of comparing recoveries with those who had surgery around the time you did? It's so easy to do but a guaranteed way to set yourself up for failure. It can make you feel down, cheated, frustrated and incapable.

Please look at the Activity Progression for THR below and see if you feel you are where you should be.
Use it as a rough gauge.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
If the OS confirms Tronchanteric Bursitis it's my understanding there are solutions for that.
This is merely a suggestion....consider laying off PT until after you see your OS and get a diagnoses of TB from him. Then go from there. In the interim, don't push yourself, do a lot of resting and icing and use the Activity Progression above as a guideline. In doing so I don't feel you have anything to lose but you may just begin to feel better.

Sending big hugs and wishing you brighter days :console2:They're coming....I just know it :yes:
@AnnieRose2
 
@Layla , Dear Layla, thank you again for your kind words.
You always have good advice and seem to know what going on in my head.
I’m considering delaying my PT for this week until I see the OS.

I made a vision board and every night I write an accomplishment for the day , no matter how small it was. Today was a big one..driving!
I also draw a smiley or sad face depending on my pain level. My hubby commented today, he’s seeing a couple of smileys. He gave me , thumbs up.

I never had a challenge like this hip recovery. I had been blessed with a healthy life.
This is a tough one for me.

Thank you for your encouragement,
Hugs back to you.
AR2
 
Thanks @Layla - Thank you for the informative posts on bursitis and Activity Progression. I think I may have had the bursitis issue pre-surgery per the symptoms list. I know I was told I had cysts around the hip. I hope, annierose2 - that it will heal soon and you will be back on track.

It is challenging to not compare our progression with another's on the forum. The Activity List is so helpful to see that there is a range of potentials for each phase. We are all different in our pre-post hip issues and one thing I learned along my journey and in yoga is that we need not be comparing ourselves to others or how "it used to be".

Soul Sister, you know your body and what feels good and what doesn't work for you. I agree with Layla that rest, ice, and doing only the exercises that feel beneficial will move you along. (Not that I have the expertise or knowledge to advise, but Layla's comments are generally right on!)

Sending you my best wishes and healing energy for a good day today. Love, Claudia
 
Dropping by to say Hi, Annie
I hope you're having a decent week so far.
Five more days until your appointment. I hope you're able to get some reassurance then.
Sending a hug and wishing you comfort!
@AnnieRose2
 
@Layla Hello. Sweet Layla. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your visits.
Yes, I have my list of questions for visits with OS. on Monday.
In the meantime, I'm walking and doing my PT exercises. I still have pain everyday.
Last evening , I went out for a walk with my umbrella. It was only a light shower but it felt good to be out.
Wishing you a happy day.
AR2
 
Well, I can't wait for you to get your questions answered. It's difficult to progress when you're in pain
and also when you're feeling like there's unfinished business. I hope hubs goes with you because sometimes those visits are difficult to recall afterward. Consider recording it on your phone.
You're in my prayers that this is resolved soon and your able to move forward.
Wishing you a peaceful and comfortable weekend as you await Monday.
Hugs.
@AnnieRose2
 
I saw my OS yesterday. The X-ray showed normal healing and he said the "dropped rod " is healing in place. He was unconcerned about this. He listened to my pains , examined me and said , everything is healing normally. I'm a slow healer and in his experience, I will be ok. He lifted all restrictions and was very pleased with my gait, no limping. His opinion regarding PT, if it causes me discomfort , just walk. In fact, he said stop PT. That reminded me of BS advice, hips will heal on their own.
I'm walking 3 mini walks a day for a total of 1 mile. I move around the house without the cane. After the doctor visit, I had previously scheduled PT session. Charles upped my sessions and had me on 2 gym machines. One was me laying on my back with knees bent and pushing the platform. The other was leg extensions with weights. I was able to do both, but I had some pain last night and today. Doing these gym exercises gave me confidence but some pain. Again, I'm confused if i should continue with PT. My husband wants me to go 1x a week.
I see the OS in 4 weeks. He still wants me to continue the Mobic, Gabapentin, Tylenol. Tramadol 25mg, only as needed.
Is the glass half full or half empty? I can make a case for both. The last thing the OS said, I had this surgery to be able to walk with out pain and I'm getting there. There will be situations where I won't be able to do certain things because I have a hip prosthetic. ( freak out thought..will I ever tie my shoes?)
That's the part I didn't agree to. I thought it would be the same.
@Layla
@luvsibes
 
:flwrysmile: @AnnieRose2 thank you for the update as you are on my mind! I'm glad to hear everything is healing normally. I think the walking is best at least in my experience. I feel good when I've walked very mindfully keeping my steps short and my gait as the focus. So many years of limping and dragging the left leg have created a new set of muscle challenges and strain as I get used to it but so much less than pre-op. I like PT but only go 1x/week and have not really done all exercises the full amount of times recommended. If I do them 1 set of 15 daily, I feel like I stretched and aligned! I am working on a new one from yesterday which I cannot do well and would like to accomplish but I do it once or twice a day just 1 set. I have not been doing any weights in my PT at all. You are the boss of your body so if you feel a need to lower the weights, tell the PT. It sounds like he's receptive. I have a little pain today from yesterday's PT but I see it as the muscles getting a new and appropriate normal! Maybe your husband's suggestion of PT 1x/week is the middle ground.

I have to wait another month for the restrictions to be lifted. I still need hubby to put my shoes on, tie them, and the socks too. He has to put lotion on the left lower leg. I'm very skilled with the grabber tool now and get my own pants on by myself! I'd love to clean my fridge but even with the arabesque move I cannot do the lower part so it will wait. I wonder about when I can tie my shoes too! (I think I could and have likely violated that 90 degree rule more than a few times but I will wait it out!).

It's good to know that all is going well although slowly.

We started this journey together and I'll never forget our pre-op angst nights of sharing. Keep the positives in focus, honor your body and do what feels good for it, and take it slow and mindfully!

Love and hugs to you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom