Guest viewing is limited

THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

I'm re -reading my posts. I'm see my conflict with PT. I say I'm stopping, then I go back..
I'm afraid of not doing the "right' thing. I know there is no right.
I can't lay on ice for the rest of my life. I haven't gone anywhere except walks in front of my house and PT/OS visits.
I'm having a terrible day. This is going to require major mental strength to turn this around.
I have no choice. I want my life back
 
Aww, Annie, please stop PT.
Of course PT is going to tell you to continue.
Even if you don't feel our advice is credible in directing you to stop...please listen to your OS
who's even advising against PT.
Make sure you're icing. Josephine recommends icing sessions last 40-60 mins per day. Shoot for 4X daily at least.
Are you taking any pain reliever? What type, if so?
@AnnieRose2
 
How about this...
If it's hard for you to quit PT, tell yourself you're taking a break.
But really take a break. Like a 4-6 weeks off and then see how you're feeling.
I hate to quote Josephine in case I'm off but I believe she maintains some of these PT related conditions can take weeks to dissipate, not just days. @Josephine am I accurate in relaying that?
 
@Layla. sweet Layla. You are always so comforting and just the medicine I needed today. You're that helpful hand reaching out to me.

I'm taking in a 24 hour period, 300mg gabapentin, 15 mg Mobic, 3000mg Tylenol. and 25mg Tramadol, when I can't take it any more!

Hubs, who has always been in favor of PT, asked if I overdid it yesterday. I think I will put PT on hold. I made a recovery vision board. I'm going to spend some time today reviewing my notes post PT. The answer could be there in black and white.

@Layla . I'm going to share the last xray report. Perhaps Josephine would comment on the gas density in soft tissue. Is this an incidental finding? The radiologist doesn't comment on which hip or body part. I asked through OS patient portal to explain but I haven't received any answers. It would be beneficial to see the xray.

IMPRESSION:
Status post noncemented left total hip arthroplasty. The hardware is unremarkable and in normal alignment. Interval resolution of soft tissue gas density. Mild right hip joint osteoarthritis. There is no acute fracture or dislocation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to quote Josephine in case I'm off but I believe she maintains some of these PT related conditions can take weeks to dissipate, not just days. @Josephine am I accurate in relaying that?
Totally correct!

I'm taking in a 24 hour period, 300mg gabapentin, 15 mg Mobic, 3000mg Tylenol. and 25mg Tramadol, when I can't take it any more!
That's good but what individual dose are you taking?
I made a recovery vision board.
What's one of them?
Perhaps Josephine would comment on the gas density in soft tissue. Is this an incidental finding?
It's possible he may be referring to the intestinal gas which often disrupts the view of other things.

Can you let me see the xray?
 
Last edited:
Gabapentin 100mg 3x. I might add another 100mg Gab for a total of 400mg a day. I have the tingling cluster sensation in the trochanter area, in addition to the pain upon touch.
Mobic 7.5 2x
Tylenol 1000mg 3x

My immediate concern is the possibility of trochanteric bursitis. The OS dismissed it. The Mobic/ gabapentin doesn't alleviate the pain. PT massage worsens the area. My OS said stop PT. I am hesitant because I do have success when in gym. Reviewing my daily status board, pain is greater following PT sessions. Duh....

I see OS in 3 weeks. If he continues to dismiss possible bursitis diagnosis, I'll see an other Ortho.... perhaps sports medicine guy. I hate to do this. I've seen patients "doctor shop " ending up with confusion. (30+ years as a x-ray tech) I will take a look at image when I see OS in 3 weeks.

Thank you for looking at my post.
AR2
@Josephine
 
My immediate concern is the possibility of trochanteric bursitis.
Oh it's Trochanteric bursitis for sure!
The Mobic/gabapentin doesn't alleviate the pain. PT massage worsens the area.
Both those things are a positive yes! Though you could try icing it.
I am hesitant because I do have success when in gym. Reviewing my daily status board, pain is greater following PT sessions.
Well now - there's a surprise! Most bursitises are caused by exercise and PT. Most definitely.
 
I thought of you this afternoon, Annie, as I sat in a dark movie theater in Wisconsin
with my granddaughter watching the movie Christopher Robin.

Winne the Pooh said - "Doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something"
Ding, ding....you popped into my mind just like that, due to our communications earlier today.
Don't laugh...I'm not kidding!

I hope you're willing to do nothing, to get your very best something. Because I believe you will.
Sending love and a warm hug your way. :loveshwr: :friends:
@AnnieRose2
 
Last edited:
Oh Layla, I absolutely love this..I truly believe in these signs. You’ve been such a sweet heart to me.
How can I not follow your’s and Winnie’ s advice?
Thank you sweet Layla..
I think I have to go to the movies!:loveshwr::flwrysmile:
 
@AnnieRose2 It's not easy to do but I think if I were in your position I would never have started outside PT so I would definitely stop. I would spend a lot of time relaxing in the icing chair. Go 1 week doing NOTHING and see if there's an improvement. What else can you be told to do nothing and log your progress as a therapy? It's the easiest thing to do. Remember 95%.
 
@AnnieRose2 .... Go 1 week doing NOTHING and see if there's an improvement. .

indeed Eman, I agree. I've been doing nothing since my surgical date, about 19 days ago. Okay, I get up and walk carefully around my home, and I move and wiggle my feet and legs (sometimes to music) as I am stretched out on the sofa all day and night, ice pack on hip/leg. I'm trying to embrace the Rest Cure full on. Since I dropped all expectations of rapid progress, I have started enjoying myself. It's not often we have permission in life to lie around surrounded by pillows.

As Layla quoted Pooh Bear : "Doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something"
 
My favorite Pooh quote
On trusting your ability to deal with anything:
Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

Hope you have a Good Day!
 
Update from Monday’s PT.
I continue to have pain and nerve tingling over the trochanter. I’m convinced I have bursitis.
I took an addition100mg Gabapentin..no relief.
I cancelled Friday’s PT. The receptionist asked about next week, and I avoided answering.
I asked her to relay my pain report to the PT.
My plan. Continue walking my “mini -walks” ..today 1 mile total walk, slowly building up to 2 mile total walk by end of August.
Continue stretches and balance exercises @ Home.
Avoid standing hip ABduction.
My OS appointment is end of August..he can not dismiss this bursitis complaint, again.
 
You probably do have Bursitis, Annie
Would you consider Jo's advice on meds? Wondering because you mentioned what you're taking isn't helping.
I want to ask you some questions and I won't be offended if you don't answer -
Why are you afraid to step back from PT for a month to see if the pain resolves?
Or, at the very least until after your next appt with your OS at the end of August.

At this point it seems like PT is the only one recommending you continue PT.
I know you really like you're PT guy. Are your feelings tied up in that somehow?
Are you feeling a loyalty toward him because you really like him and feel like you're going to let him down, or make him feel as though he's incapable of helping you?

I wish you'd put yourself first. You're the one who's hurting, in pain.
You need to do what's best for you and cancelling a session or two is not going to cut it. I honestly believe
you're setting yourself up for failure and I don't want to see you suffering, Annie.
How about giving it an honest try until your OS appt? Please consider it.....
Sending hugs and wishes you feel comfort. We care :console2:
@AnnieRose2
 
@Layla, your questions are honest and spot on.
Why am I going?
It begins with my state of mind. I’ll remind you I cancelld the first surgery bc I nervous and wasn’t sure if I should go ahead. My pain wasn’t everyday.
I was still active. But when it hit me, it was bad.
I thought I was doing the right thing to have surgery, but now I feel I made a major mistake.
I regret the surgery..I think I am a disabled person. I’m in pain everyday. I stopped my swim , my yoga.
What does this have to do with PT?
I’m so desperate to be the old me, I’ll do anything. Makes no sense.
I’ll drink the poison , the potion, if there is a chance it will make me get better.
I’m so mixed up.
You’re right. It ‘s clear the PT is not working and causing me more pain and setbacks.
I am going to stop PT. I can go back anytime..I know that.
What I can’t go back is to ..me.
I need help changing my mental state. It’s going to take a lot of mental strength to turn this around.
Your kindness and words are appreciated more than you know. To The others who have offered advice and caring..
Thank you, all
 
Aww, Annie, it really breaks my heart to read this. Honestly I wish I could give you a hug and tell
you it's going to be alright.

I can completely understand canceling the first surgery out of fear and also because you weren't in constant pain. I wasn't in constant pain either. Rarely took an NSAID, by choice, I hate them. But my x-ray told the story as I'm sure yours did. Grade 4, bone on bone. It won't get better, you need the surgery, you decide when. Sound familiar? I looked at how my world was closing in, loss of flexibility, mobility, limping and increasing pain. Did you not suffer something similar? If so, did you make your decision for surgery based on wanting a better life for yourself?

If your story is anything like mine, you didn't make a mistake. You're just having a rough start and I'm willing to bet PT has only aggravated that. Because you're desperate to be the old you and maintain you'll do anything, Consider consulting with Josephine again for some clear direction moving forward in regard to your meds and physical activity, at least until the next meeting with your OS at the end of the month.

You've engaged in PT for over two months now and I don't believe it's working to your advantage. I do hope you're able to come to that conclusion on your own aside from our influence, or that of family and friends. You need to truly believe that yourself. Then decide exactly how YOU want to move forward.

It seems you have a bad case of the Post Op Blues too. But I believe if you start feeling better physically, your mood will lift also. You're afraid, in a funk and feeling hopeless. Please realize that there's a very good chance you can turn this around and have the happy ending you thought you signed up for.

You think about this and hopefully some others will come alongside you with their opinions also. Just know we're here for you and will continue to be. Let me know if you want me to tag Jo, or feel free to do it yourself if you are interested. Let's work on turning this around.
Big hugs!
@AnnieRose2
 
It's very disconcerting to feel disabled and vulnerable.
I did too at two months post op!

Now I work happily(mostly)...but no hip pain
Walk many steps...stand straight and tall..
Ride my ATV, fish, play with the great nieces and nephews...go off shore boating, dance, smile...
It took at least to month four to feel I would be okay...I knew I didn't have the hip pain soon, but was still fragile.
Stopped PT for first for months wasn't helpful!...did what I could on my own...stretches and walking!
You ARE going to get better and better.
:console2:
 
Back
Top Bottom