Guest viewing is limited

THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

Hubs wants me to make an earlier appointment with OS
Get an ultra sound or MRI.to r/o bursitis. Review meds.
Get definitive answer.
 
Well, that's not a bad idea, Annie. Hopefully you can get in sooner.
The uncertainty you're dealing with seems to be weighing on you as much as the physical pain you're suffering. I pray you get answers soon and a plan of action bringing relief so you're able to move forward.
Please keep us posted. We'll be here...
Big hugs!
@AnnieRose2
 
@AnnieRose2 - My dear Soul Sister, I just read through your posts and the bursitis article. I know the pain along with so many unanswered questions makes the journey even more challenging. I agree with our advisors that stopping PT may be the best decision. You know about posture and gentle stretching from your yoga work and know that "ahimsa" (do no harm) applies to our bodies as well as the universe. I believe that you will do fine trusting what you do know about gentle exercise along with resting and icing. I have always been stunned by your PT's having you doing squats early on and gym equipment. I've yet to be put on a machine, even a bike! With the IT band issue (I have pain there still and very tight sore quads still), bursitis, and ODIC, I think dropping the PT is a good thing for you. I recall your OS saying you heal slowly...honor that and let it heal.

I think about you often and try to send my best wishes, prayers, and energy to you. I have faith you can beat this. The sense of wanting your life back is strong and I understand the frustration with the setbacks. Go with your own knowledge of your body. I think your phased in walking plan is great!

Pooh - I love the Pooh quotes and Pooh. I have liked Pooh so much I named my Collie in the 70's Pooh!
:friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @AnnieRose - I'm sorry to hear you are having pain. It's so frustrating to not know what exactly is causing it. I think your hubby has good advice. As to the PT, you should let go of that. Remember your PT is receiving hundreds of dollars for each session and it's in their best interest to keep you coming back. I quit last week after it took me 3 days to recover from a session. That is NOT helpful to anyone's mental well-being. It felt good to stand up for myself and tell my PT I was listening to my body. Hugs to you and sending you lots of positivity :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @AnnieRose2
I am sorry you are in so much pain. I hope you can get your OS appointment moved up so you can get to the bottom of what is causing it.
Re: PT....I truly believe we need time to heal first, then strengthen. Just getting back to day to day activities over the first three months, let alone athletic activities and training, is more than enough. Every thread I've read where folks have over done it in PT, they have ended up with soft tissue issues.
I have rehabbed two horses for soft tissue injuries in the last three years (part of my hip failure I swear..slogging around in the Pacific Northwest winters hand-walking rehabbing horses who are going out of their minds from being on stall rest and hand walking only). They get walked in straight lines for the most part only, on a strict and structured rehab schedule, gradually over a period of months. We don't get on their backs until four or five months and don't start trotting in straight lines until about five months, still on a gradual time schedule. If I did to my horse in rehab, the equivalent of what some PTs are making human THR patients do (within the same post op time frame), I would be set upon by the SPCA for starters and then the animal welfare officer!!! Seriously consider cutting out PT until after three months at least. It just seems you are in more pain and not benefiting in any way from it at this early juncture. I have yet all this to learn, as my surgery isn't until next month, but I feel I have seen a repeat pattern through the threads on this forum regarding aggressive PT in the early healing days.
I will keep you in my most positive thoughts and prayers.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend:flwrysmile:
 
I hope you have a peaceful day, Annie.
And a relaxing weekend.
Hugs to you!
@AnnieRose2

Consider going to a movie if you never go. I hadn't been in years! And I mean years.
Since the days of hundreds of chairs on top of each other, sticky concrete floors from spilled soda, rolling wax cups because the floor was on an incline. You always hoped the person in front of you wasn't tall, or had big hair! You had to stand up each time someone had to use the restroom, or had a hankering for some more popcorn. Ugh! Never really enjoyed it.

Well, I was shocked and more than pleasantly surprised. Soft squishy leather recliners that actually went all the way back. Carpet! So no feet sticking to the dried up pop on the floor. You don't even have to stand to let people through! You can be in a reclining position and they have room to spare in walking right by you. I was laughing! I tried explaining to my granddaughter what it was like in the "olden days" and all I heard was Uh, huh, uh, huh, as she crunched her popcorn. I'm sure she couldn't have cared less.

I saw Mama Mia a few weeks ago and it was really cute. Beautiful scenery, lots of color (eye candy) cute youngish boys and girls, and the clothes took me back to the 70's! And the music of ABBA. I hated ABBA back in the day when I was listening to The Rolling Stones and such. Well, the music and clothes and all of it takes you back to a more carefree time in life and I actually enjoyed the songs. I think I sang Waterloo and Dancing Queen around the house for a week! My granddaughter even commented "You must really like those songs, because you keep singing them ALL the time." I had a new appreciation for ABBA but like I said, it just takes me back. You know the feeling. You should go see it if you haven't. I'd love to know if you feel the same.

Wow...my "have a nice weekend" turned into a ramble, sorry! :heehee:
 
@Layla . Good day. What a nice post.
I haven't been to movies in a very long time.
Your theater sounds very nice..I'm not sure if our local one is so up- to- date.
I binged watched a HBO series called Succession. Real cutthroat family story that takes place in NYC. I rarely watch TV ,but Hubs recommended it. Not light-heart as ABBA/ MamaMia.
Eh. kept my mind occupied.
Thank you for pleasant thoughts.
Im seeing OS Monday PM. I'll update then
Have a happy weekend:loveshwr::flwrysmile:
 
I think I've watched every Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and PBS series known! That's an exaggeration but hubs is a movie buff so he's tried to keep me entertained. He also watches a lot of stuff I don't like (i'm not a big sci-fi or action film fan!) so I've also read about 5 books during this time. I'm so ready to rock and roll but the little sensible voice in my head says "stay put"! I don't like going out in the crowds on the weekend so plan to stay put today and do more reading and TV time!

Take it easy, Soul Sister. Rest is best!
 
:yes!:@luvsibes so nice to hear from you. You’re always a ray of sunshine.Soul Sister.
Hubs surprised me Friday And took me to a Latin Restaurant located right on the Hudson River. We went early , sat at the bar so I was comfortable sitting on the hi bar chairs.
The entire dining room has windows open to the River. The restaurant was recently renovated and it was very beautiful inside.
I like sitting at restaurant bars ,lol that’s funny.. but I mean, at the bar , everybody talks to each other.
I had a great time.! The river views , the happy staff , the Latin music , I felt I was on vacation. Some of the songs were the same tunes played in my aqua Zumba class.. I was dancing in my chair!
It was my first time being “out”. Not PT , OS office or a to a grocery store.:egypdance:

I am going to OS tomorrow. I hope we get answers about my pain.
But today, I’m happy.
AR2
@Layla. Took your advice and got out:loveshwr:
 
So wonderful that you got out @AnnieRose2
And you enjoyed your date! It sounds lovely.
It's healing to be around other people and engaging in life. I'll bet it helped your mood immensely.
Wishing you the best at your appt with the OS tomorrow. I hope you get all your questions answered.
Let us know how it's goes, if you care to share.
Hugs to you!
 
:fingersx: for reassuring doctor visit.
Good for you for feeding your spirit with some getting out.
Staying positive and shaking those post op blues will help so much with recovery.
Hope today is a good day!:) :-) (:
 
Update.Surgeon visit.
I had another X-ray and everything is healing in place. He observed my walking. Based on my walking and X-ray, he has no answer why I am in pain. He feels very badly that I’m suffering and will continue to see me.
He ordered blood tests to r/o infection. He doesn’t think I have an infection. I think he wants to do something.
He refered me to a physiatrist, a MD who treats body systems and pain management. Maybe it’s my spine causing hip pain.
So, how do I feel? Still depressed about surgery..I didn’t have this ( spine) before. It’s like I was thrown against the wall, and stuff didn’t go back in place. My body didn’t like this.
My husband is being supportive , tries to make laugh and importantly, reminds me of the pain I had prior to this mistake. Yes , I had OA and pain , but not Every Day.
Dr. M asked me if I was only thinking about the negative and my mental state was in a bad place.
I wouldn’t let him frame “this “ as being negative and not looking on bright side. I didn’t like that narrative. My pain is real.He acknowledged my pain but advised me look at positives. I told him I do see the improvement in movement since surgery..I listed a few. But it’s hard to have pain everyday and be upbeat.
I believe he cares but has no answers. In fact , he said that. He thinks “this “ will resolve and I’ll be better.
I bring my marble notebook with all my status notes to the visit and we read them together.
Today’s heading was “Pain Every Day”
So I’ll get blood work and see the pain management doctor.
Like I keep saying, it’s going to take a lot of mental strength to turn this around.and Time
Thanks for allowing me to lay this all out.and I know your well wishes will be sent..you’re my people.:console2:
 
Hi Annie,
I believe your pain is real. I'm sorry you're suffering and got no real satisfaction today.
It has to feel reassuring to know all looks well on the x-ray. I'm happy your OS is running bloodwork to rule out infection. It's comforting he doesn't suspect infection as a possibility.

Wondering if your OS is still dismissing Trochanteric Bursitis?
Were you able to discuss PT with your OS and if so, wondering what his thoughts are.
What about changing / adjusting meds?

There is something to be said for being active. I'm wondering if while you were out with hubs at the Latin restaurant the other night, your pain was minimal due to the distraction of engaging with others? A change of scenery is a necessity in my opinion.
You could try making it a goal to get out each day and do something if it will help. Especially if your doc is convinced you simply need more time to heal. You may as well occupy yourself while you're waiting.
Hopefully the pain management doctor has something to offer.

We'll be here for you. Stop by for encouragement and support whenever you need it.
Wishing you comfort.
@AnnieRose2
 
@AnnieRose2 Sounds very frustrating and I agree with your reaction to the doctor heading down that path with you. I've seen so many times with others when a doctor, grasping at straws because they just don't know what's going on, tries to deflect their lack of a solution by somehow putting it on to the patient's mental state.
"Maybe you're too anxious or imaginative or,..negative, and that's why it hurts!" It goes back to 19th century thinking that women were prone to "hysteria" because they have a hyster/ womb! And as such they created illnesses and manifested symptoms. It still exists today when a condition presents that they can't get a grasp on. I would make it very clear that these are not moods or ideas you're suffering from but physical aches and pains. My opinion only, and I know a doctor does, in their daily practice, come across those patients who are hypochondriacs ...but it's insulting to make assumptions when the pain is real. Would be better if they simply said, "I just don't know...." And left it at that.

I'm so sorry for your pains and long periods without satisfactory answers. In all my Netflix viewings since THR I watched "Afflicted" last week -- these were patients suffering from rare ailments that weren't readily diagnosable. (Docu series, real people) In the end most finally found their answers and relief from functional medicine and alternative doctors who were able to treat the whole body. I think we are in a big transition in health and wellness right now, the field is opening up for more and more natural healing and the combining of ancient and modern methods. In the meantime I really hope you can find some answers from the next visit and good idea to keep everything journaled like you have. Wishing you comfort and relief!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom