Guest viewing is limited

THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

Hi,
I always appreciate "luvsibes" common sense approach to all.
She's a good example to move through recovery with.

I'ts wonderful to hear that your OS feels you're progressing normally and is not concerned about the "dropped rod". Hopefully his reassurance put your mind at ease. I think that news initially put you in a holding pattern. I'm happy to hear his latest assessment on all.

Personally, I don't feel you need PT. Just an FYI, I attended a few sessions myself. It just wasn't for me and I truthfully believe we don't really need it. With that said, it's a personal choice. The only thing I would advise is nothing new to you....You're the boss at PT, you decide what you will and won't engage in. If it hurts, STOP.
Also, I'd always ice preventatively afterward.

Even if you can never tie your shoes again, I'll bet you're not sorry you had the surgery? Losing that pain makes it all worth it in my estimation. I believe it was Irish Joe who once said - If I'm only ever 90%, I'll take it- I feel the same. Slip on shoes are always an option, as well as tieless shoe laces and long shoe horns.
All will afford you total independence.

You're doing well @AnnieRose2 just keep it up, you'll get there. Thanks for the update!

Love and hugs to you.
 
One was me laying on my back with knees bent and pushing the platform. The other was leg extensions with weights.
I personally dont like either one of these...what is it with the tension or resistance junk at two months out?
I did do some gait training and muscle strengthening around this time, but every time they had me try weights or resistance bands...my legs, especially my quads, said...NO we are still injured and trying to heal.
Just my opinion...Oh, and I tie my shoes...you will get there, early days.
 
@Mojo333 ..thank you for that info..
The OS said stop PT. Just walk.
I was able to do both weight exercises..but I had pain after, not during. I would have stopped if I had pain.
I don’t know what to do.
I like your input.
 
Never hurt until I stopped.
Same with the over activity such as to much walking or "bad " sitting.
Hard to find the borders...
I just finally said, I think I'll do these exercises without the resistance bands,last time I really had pain afterwards.
Don't think I'm ready for that.
Ice it up AND rest it up to counteract that extra strain...
And say no if you need to!
 
Is the glass half full or half empty? I can make a case for both. The last thing the OS said, I had this surgery to be able to walk with out pain and I'm getting there. There will be situations where I won't be able to do certain things because I have a hip prosthetic. ( freak out thought..will I ever tie my shoes?)
That's the part I didn't agree to. I thought it would be the same.
The glass is fine, stop measuring it. I don't think you need strength exercises to tie your shoes or do a lot of other things. Everyone is different and stretching worked for me, things like heel slides and marching in place raising my knees high. At 6 weeks for me the restrictions were lifted and my hip didn't know it. It still didn't want to let me tie my shoes or wash my feet, I had to sneak up on them one day at a time. I'm sure there will be some things you won't be able to do because of a THR, but I think it will be things like skydiving and bungee jumping.
 
Thanks broken link removed: https://@Layla - your kind words are appreciated. broken link removed: https://@annierose2 - and I started this journey together and have enjoyed BoneSmart sharing!

AnnieRose, since you felt the pain after PT, it sounds like muscles finding their new strength. I find a little of that muscle feedback is good but a little goes a long way for me with the fibromyalgia component. I had new exercises this week and also have walked more. I feel it today and will back off on the quad burning new exercise! I know the exercise is for core strength and I do feel some in the abdominals but the quads are crying this morning as I ice the hip. Nothing serious but I know to back off! I will likely not walk this morning as I have to run a couple of errands on my feet today. I think you've identified the exercises that push you too far. Since your Dr. says you heal more slowly, it seems the weights and reps may need adjusting to lower levels? I really can't imagine adding weights to my exercises at this point!

Thanks broken link removed: https://@Eman85 - I love your "stop measuring the glass" advice! That rang true for me this morning and makes sense for us AnnieRose.

Sending good morning energy and love to you today!
 
@Eman85 , thank you for good advice.
My problem , patience requires maturity and I ain’t got either.
I’m reelavauating PT, putting it on hold for now.
I’ll do my stretches and other home exercises. And walking. Yesterday I walked “sans cane” and today , pain.
What a long strange trip this is.:headbang:
 
I'm sitting here in slight pain right now as I type this. Got a little too carried away earlier doing some squatting and kneeling. I did stop when I felt I was over doing it, but now I must sit for a little while at least.
 
Sending healing thoughts to you. Pain stinks
I get your message.
The over did it club. We have to find our own “ balance” and like snowflakes, we’re all different.
My something “different”...a little story.
Today , I ventured out to Costco. ( first time since surgery) Hubs was checking out and I was waiting in the food court when Margaret comes by , sees my cane and sits down with me. Now , you are asking who is Margaret?
I live in a small town with a very, small Post Office..Margaret ran that place for the past 40 +years. She knew everybody by face and by name..after all , she was the Post Mistress. Margaret recently retired . The town and our local elementary school gave her a big send off. She is that kinda lady. I asked her what she’s been doing since then. Well, she says , I became a stand up comic..I would have fallen over if I didn’t have hip precautions.
:heehee: Then , Margaret goes into her routine, her comic bit. I was laughing and laughing and so was she.
Isn’t life amazing? I’ve been feeling blue about this whole surgery and out of the blue, I get a this treat.
Margaret was my reality check. Yes , I’m having a hard time now but life is good and I’ll be ok.
Laughter is the best medicine.
@luvsibes
 
What a joy to have a friend who will make you laugh! Costco is a challenging outing here as it's always very crowded and the food court is wild with kids! Kudos to you to have managed that! I haven't braved Costco yet (in fact, that's an errand most often delegated to hubby even pre-op! It's just too crazy.) Is Margaret taking her comedy on the road so you can see her again? Laughter is definitely the best medicine!

Keep pacing yourself and you'll get through this, my friend. I think the 2 month mark is exciting for us but I know for me it means just one more month with the precautions and a bit of increased impatience I have to tame!

I'm wishing you a great day and less pain than the day before!:friends:
 
Two months is still early days.
I know this recovery business can get tedious.
Glad Margaret lifted your spirits.
Laughter IS the best medicine!
Hope you have a good weekend @AnnieRose2 :friends:
 
@AnnieRose2 - I'm just thinking about you and wondering how you are doing as this week commences. I hope you have found the balance in exercise and rest and are recovering well. I send my best loving energy to you for today and this week. :friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fellow hipsters..I’m here , lurking.
The positives..I am able to put on my shorts without the grabby thing. I’m able to pick up dropped items using toes or that golfer pose..I walked 2 minutes on treadmill without holding on to bars. That was different from my walking with out cane. The treadmill doesn’t stop or adjust to how I’m doing..just keeps trucking along. To me, this was a big accomplishment.
The machine is in front of a mirror and I was able to watch my gait and posture. Posture! I can hear my old phys.-ed teacher. Shoulders back , girls.
The Not - so - Good...I still have pain in the trochanter area and IT band..it’s painful to touch.Sometimes tingles/ pain ..I know it nerves and those guys take a long time to heal. I’m taking Gabapentin, but not sure if it is doing anything.
PT massaged the area today..ouch! And hours later, still ouch.
I’m waiting to hear from NP with clarification of my recent pelvis X-ray. The radiologist commented “ gas in soft tissue”. The NP didn’t have an explanation and the OS never responded to my inquiry. I hope it’s nothing but an incidental finding, but I would like to know for sure. My previous life as an X-ray tech tells me the Doc would not comment on gas in colon.
My mental state is the same. There are times I regret this surgery or I feel I am now a disabled person. Hubs reminds me of pre surgery pain and tears. I just remember it wasn’t everyday like this is.
I wish the recovery was over and I have a Happy ending to this story.
Healing thoughts to all.
AR2
 
Hi @AnnieRose2
You're doing great! Making progress.
Now don't go pulling any George Jetson maneuvers on that treadmill. Remember that?
"Help, help, Jane, stop this crazy thing!" :heehee:

I'm sorry your still struggling, suffering pain and feeling regret at times.
All I can really say is at only 2 months post op you still have a tremendous amount of healing to do.
It can take up to a year, sometimes longer. I think you'll have your happy ending, just try to believe that it's obtainable. Let us know what you hear re: clarification of the x-ray report, if you feel like sharing.
We're here for you, stop back often.
Big hugs!
 
reading your last post had me rubbing the side of my leg checking to see if the tenderness was there. It's gone but I had tenderness down the outside of my thigh for a long time.
 
@Eman85 .this pain is very localized at the trochanter.
If I press the area, it’s so painful. Acutely painful. The middle thigh feels like the muscle is contracted, shortened,, pulling.
PT says I could have bursitis.
OS dismissed the pain..”lots of people have bursitis”. I never did before this surgery..ugh
PT massaging it today is not good. Over 12 hours and it still hurts.
Does this describe your ex pain?
 
The side of my thigh almost to my knee stayed tender like it was deeply bruised. It didn't cause me pain as such just stayed very tender. My lasting pain that comes and goes now is from my waist band in the back and down my butt cheek. Earlier on I had pain down my outer thigh to my knee cap especially after walking, especially up or down hill.
 
After reading Dr. Google , i'm convinced I have trochanter Bursitis. It's 24 hours after the PT massaged the area and I'm still in pain, and now the nerve tingling has started again. The OS told me to stop PT. PT says it's good to continue.
My whole body feels like someone threw me against the wall.
When will this stop.? I'm at the end.
 
Back
Top Bottom