THR And now the healing begins

I have two Berg gel ice packs that each are 11” x 5.5” (effective area 10” x 4.5”)7 with a sleeve that holds both of them that I brought home with me after my TKR. I have been using that and a smaller 3-sectioned gel ice pack that I borrowed from my daughter. Since I need to ice my knee and my hip/thigh, I decided last week that I wanted additional ice packs. After extensive research on Amazon, I bought

Rester's Choice Large Ice Pack for Injuries | 11" x 14.5" - Pack of 2 | Hot & Cold Pack | Reusable Gel Pack, Durable Construction, & Flexible When Frozen​

that cost $29.95 plus tax. Since I’m a Prime member, there was no shipping.

I received the ice packs on Sunday. There are three sections in each ice pack with an open area across the end. The gel was not evenly distributed among the three sections, so I pushed gel up to the top from the section that contained the most gel and redistributed it with the gel in the other sections so that there is basically the same amount of gel in each section. I left the packs in the freezer for about three hours (directions say to freeze for a minimum of two hours), and they were very frozen when I removed them to use them.

The description said they are flexible when frozen. They are not extremely flexible when frozen, but I did not find that to be a problem. They softened a bit in a short period of time. One needs to wrap each pack in a towel to use it to avoid freezer burn. I have a couple of light weight dish towels (for drying dishes) that I used. The towels are double thickness on one side when wrapped around the packs, and I put the double thickness side against my skin. The packs are VERY cold; much colder than the Berg packs. After leaving a pack on for 20 minutes, it was still very cold. It was still so cold that one could use it in another area without refreezing if one wished to do so.

I used the packs yesterday and today, and I think they are excellent. Since they get colder and stay colder longer, I think they are a good investment, so I wanted to share my experience with them.
 
That’s very useful @wander03 . I wish I had had the benefit of your advice before I tried frozen peas. It turns out that the packaging of peas is not entirely waterproof, and the bedclothes and I wound up smelling of overripe peas. And after several trips through the washing machine, the sheets still have suspicious looking stains.

I hope you are having a good week.
 
I was very fortunate as the hospital had me on an icing machine immediately after surgery and it was part of the package so I got to keep it. It was the greatest thing as I could keep it on for 4 hours at a time and all we did was swap out frozen water bottles in it and it would go for another 4 hours. I slept with it on me in the first weeks. Mine was a Breg Polar Cube and it was an amazing comfort.
 
@Klassy I hear you about the frozen peas! Early on after my knee surgery in July, my daughter and I decided a large bag of frozen wild blueberries would be good to ice with. The bag was very cold and large. When it leaked blueberry juice, we realized it had not been a very good idea. The bag of wild blueberries was retired.

@Eman85 I think you were very fortunate to get an ice machine as part of your package. It sounds like it contributed to your comfort and healing. While doing the research on Amazon, I saw the Berg Polar Cube. Although I liked everything about the hospital I was in for my hip replacement better than the one I was in for my knee replacement, I thought it was strange that no icing gel packs or any other form of icing apparatus was used or sent home with the patient. They used ice in a plastic bag wrapped in a towel. But everything else was top notch.
 
My daughter took me to see. Dr. Bradshaw today for my follow-up to surgery. The x-ray of my hip looked really good. He observed how well it fits the space and lines up with my left hip. He seemed very pleased with his handiwork. And well he should be. The bandage was removed, and the incision looks great. His first observation is that it was not infected. It is basically healed. There are a few small spots along the incision. A young man named Jimmy put sutures (little fabric-like strips) the length of the incision. He said I can shower with the sutures on and that they will come off on their own. He said I am not to remove them or be concerned as they come off.

I seem to have turned a corner this week in my recovery. The knee was a limiting factor, and it is getting stronger. I guess the exercises Chris has me doing now are beneficial. I was able to go down the two steps from my front porch and back up when I got home without assistance. I used my Stander walker as a railing since my porch does not have a railing. A physical therapist at the hospital instructed me in the use of a walker as a railing.

I was a bit hyper today since I was moving so much better. Being hyper takes a lot of energy, and I interacted with my daughter and her husband, which also takes energy. Jennifer bought Hideaway pizza, which the three of us ate here at home with Route 44 Cokes from Sonic. As they were leaving, I told Jennifer what I would really like was a double dip brownie fudge sundae from Braum’s. So she brought me one. It was delicious. BUT eating it after three pieces of veggie pizza and a Route 44 Coke probably was not the wisest thing to do. That was entirely too much food in a relatively short period of time. Oh well, it was good. I was really tired after they left, and my left leg (non-operated) has been hurting ever since. I expect to feel better after a good night’s sleep. It has been a full, enjoyable day.
 
What a wonderful day! The feeling you get at the first post op visit when the surgeon confirms all is well, is almost as good as the high you have when you’re awake enough from surgery to realize it’s finally behind you. Then the you had the joy of time spent with family, followed by the Route 44 Cokes, Pizza and Sundae as the cherry on top! I’m happy for you, you're doing great! I’m going to look up a Route 44 Coke, never heard of it.
Have a lovely weekend!
@wander03
 
@Layla Thank you. I had a physical therapy session this afternoon, and Chris is moving my therapy to the next stage. I have some new exercises that will continue to increase my muscle length and strength. I think we are making good progress.

Thanks for the link to the recovery thread for @Timo50. I had looked at his pre-op and wondered why there wasn’t an update.

I wish a good weekend for you and a Happy Easter if you celebrate.
 
My daughter & son-in-law and my son visited me today for Easter. I gave each of them a large solid chocolate bunny, Turtles, Cadberry eggs, and Dove dark chocolate eggs. Jennifer is the only one who likes Peeps, so I gave her two largish boxes of Peeps chicks.

The last time I took pain meds was April 15 at 9:15 pm, although I didn’t make an active decision to totally quit taking them. I was taking 5mg (1/2 a 10mg tablet) every 11 hours. I turned off the alarm that was to remind me to take the meds at 8:15 am on Saturday in case I was still sleeping at that time, which I was. I did not think about it on Saturday until my alarm went off at 7:15 Saturday evening to remind me to take a dose. I kept hitting snooze while deciding whether I was going to take it. After several snoozes, I decided not to take anything then and see if I would be ok without taking any. I’ve had some pain in my left hip but not my right, so I do not plan to take any more. I hope I continue to think that I don’t need to.

Jennifer and Pete bought Godfather’s pizza for lunch, and I drove the Rogue downtown to pick it up. Jennifer was with me. I used my Stander walker partially expanded to get to the Rogue and put it in the front passenger seat. Since Jennifer was with me, she had to move it to the back seat, but she put it back in front when we got back home so that I could see if I could manage completely on my own. I did. I had not driven since early September before Baptist Health physical therapy messed up my right knee on September 22, and I had to have Jennifer remind me where a couple of controls on the steering wheel were. But once that was done, it was like old times. My right knee was a bit stiff but not enough to really bother me. I am driving again! That certainly gives me inspiration to stay off the pain meds. When I asked Dr. Bradshaw’s nurse Katelyn last week about when I could drive, she said I needed to wait until I was off the pain meds. I said I thought she would probably say that, but what about when I had quit taking them. She said they say six weeks. “They say” were the operative words for me. I interpreted that to mean whenever I felt like driving. :) so, I’m driving.

A nice time was had by all. And I’m driving again!
 
What great news! Back behind the wheel again. :driver:
Sounds like you had an enjoyable day with family and you certainly picked out the good stuff to give away as Easter treats…minus the Peeps. Not a fan of Peeps, myself, but on our local news the other day they mentioned in one of their segments that Peeps are great in place of regular marshmallows in S’more’s. Mention it to your daughter if you think of it, she may want to try it.
Have a great week!
@wander03
 
@Klassy and @Layla Driving again is great! It means a lot to not have to depend on other people to take me every where. I've still got more recovery to do, but this is great progress!

I'll mention Peeps for S'mores to Jennifer. Her husband does not like them, so I'm sure she will enjoy them. Neither does my son, so she didn't have to share with him either. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom