THR And now the healing begins

I keep going to sleep while sitting in my lift chair, whether reading, watching television, or just thinking. As Jennifer recalled, I did the same thing after my right knee replacement.
I think I am doing quite well. I have some burning or stinging in my right thigh when I walk, but it is tolerable. My right leg is a bit stiff when I stand up after sitting. The numbness on the outside of my thigh of which others have spoken is present. My understanding is that the numbness will eventually dissipate. These are things that I can tolerate. Not having pain in my right knee is such a relief, and being able to stand on my right leg is encouraging. Knowing that I will be able to support myself on my right leg in the not-too-distant future is great.
I can unequivocally say that recovery from a hip replacement is not as painful as recovery from a knee replacement. And I had the added situation with my right knee having been compromised by overly aggressive physical therapy by Baptist Health Physical Therapy Clinic. While lying in bed after the hip replacement, even before I stood up, I could tell the replacement of my right hip had resolved the problem with my right knee. My right foot had pointed out at about a 45 degree angle, and there was no way I could straighten it. It now points straight ahead.
It will take some time fo me to be able to walk unassisted, but I will be able to do so. Since I have not been able to walk without a walker for over eight months, two or three more weeks of walking with assistance is fine with me.
I am on my way to being a bionic woman! My left knee is scheduled for replacement on June 27. I am so looking forward to being able to enjoy life physically again. Onward and upward!
 
You are doing really well, it’s great to read about your progress.

It took a long time for the numbness on the side of my left thigh to wear off, in fact there is still a teensy bit of numbness round the incision site after 3 years, which I guess is permanent. I don’t consider that a problem, I only notice it if I deliberately test it. And better to have numbness than pain or itchiness, any day.

You will be the joint replacement expert after June! I hope that will be the end of surgeries for you. Bionic woman indeed!
 
Today is not a great day. There is swelling in both of my legs, ankles, and feet, and my right knee seems tight, probably from the swelling. I am unable to get my legs up on the Lounge Doctor, so my legs and feet are only as high as they go on my lift chair. I’m sure my physical therapist Chris will be able to show me how to lift my legs up when he is here tomorrow. I think that is needed to alleviate the swelling.

I certainly did enjoy the euphoria on Wednesday. I hope I will regain a positive attitude soon. I don’t like being weepy.
 
Hello Wander03,
I think weepiness comes with the territory, perhaps from the release of all the emotion, expectation, relief, and even disappointment with perceived setbacks. Sometimes just letting it rip and getting it over with helps.
I didn't have a lounge doctor, but I had a similar wedge that I used to elevate for swelling. Like you, I couldn't simply lift my leg to use the wedge. I found I could manage by placing the wedge more to the middle of the bed, then log rolling onto the edge. I had to use the opposite of my usual side of the bed to get the unoperated leg up first, then use a leg lifter to help with the uncooperative one. Once both legs were on the bed, I scooched over and placed the good leg on the wedge then used the leg lifter to place the operated leg onto it. It sounds like quite a production but wasn't all that difficult once I learned how to get everything in place and in sync.
Have faith, better days are coming. Best wishes for a smooth recovery.
 
:hi:
The first week was certainly toughest for me too....the uncooperative log leg, the inability to get an all night sleep, and the teary moments....thankfully....
All Temporary...:console2:
 
I hope today feels better than yesterday and you have a good PT session. Let us know how it goes. Happy Monday…wishing you a peaceful week.
@wander03
 
Sorry, my message posted twice for some reason
 
@Layla Monday did feel much better than Sunday, thank goodness. Chris (PT) said the fourth and fifth days of recovery are often the most difficult with the most swelling. I’m glad those days are over. The PT session was good except I am still unable to get my legs up onto my Lounge Doctor. Chris said I just don’t have enough strength in my right leg, so we will have to continue building up the strength. I will be able to use it in time, and I will have it for use with my left THR. I am feeling optimistic again.
Chris obtained approval for his physical therapy plan for my hip recovery: 3 sessions weekly for two weeks, 2 sessions weekly for four weeks, and once a week for two weeks. He thinks I will be in good shape after eight weeks, with which I agree. Before the hip surgery, my right leg would not support me at all. Now I can stand on it unassisted. That is huge!
For several years, my left hip has semi-collapsed while walking. That is the only reason I can think that I might need assistance in walking before eight weeks have passed. Fortunately, after I recover from my left THR on June 27, I will be able to walk with ease. The bionic woman!
I am having a peaceful week. All is peaceful now.

@subie2021 I appreciate your suggestion for getting onto the Lounge Doctor. However, it is still very difficult for me to get up onto the bed, and I want to use the Lounge Doctor on the sofa in the living room so that I can watch television, not in the bedroom where I have no TV.
 
Last edited:
No sorries, wander03. I understand the problems of having log leg, having experienced it myself. Although I was able to ambulate with aids, I couldn't get my leg to move much at all otherwise. Sitting on the edge of a chair and raising my knee became my primary challenge. My home pt (also a Chris) explained that besides the general lack of tone in the leg muscles, the surgery can cause a disconnect among the nerves, muscles, and brain. It takes a bit of time and work to get everything back in sync.

Be careful about the sofa. Unless it's very firm and somewhat shallow, it might pose some difficulty for you, as mine has been for me. A deep soft seat can be a problem when you move to get up. At 6 months out, I'm still very careful about that with my comfy couch.

I hope your day is full of sunshine and healing.
 
@subie2021 Chris said today that my muscles are trying to engage and work together, which is much better than when we started working with them pre-surgery. However, I can hardly lift my right foot up from the floor when seated; maybe an inch - maybe. I’m glad that is not one of our main objectives right now. Our major objective is to strengthen and stretch the muscles so that I can walk without assistance.

My sofa is higher than most, 24” deep, and has a firm cushion that spans the length of the sofa. It is definitely not a comfy sofa. In years past I had considered getting a softer, slightly lower sofa, but I’ve been very glad I didn’t. The 24” depth is the depth of the bottom cushion. There are thick cushions/pillows, also firm and removable, across the back and at the ends. I remove the back and end cushions for the Lounge Doctor. I measured to make certain the 24” LD would fit, and it’s a perfect fit.

I think it’s nice when every day is full of sunshine and healing.
 
Last edited:
You sound like you are progressing right along. That's wonderful! Please be careful with the PT.. it seems very early to begin such a rigorous schedule. Remember that hips don't need a lot of exercise to get better.. especially when you are only one week out.

I hope you have a great week!
 
Don't worry, wander03, your leg will remember what it needs to do.
One of my favorite memories from the early days is that my Chris asked me to lift my left knee as I sat on the edge of a chair - and I tried so hard and struggled to finally raise it about 1/4 inch. Chris cheered as if I had placed in the top 10% of finishers of the Boston Marathon.
I also remember that before the replacement, I couldn't lift my foot enough to slide it into my bedroom slippers without a lot of pain. After the surgery, I couldn't lift it, but trying wasn't painful any more, so I considered that to be great progress. Nowadays, I can lift my foot and slide it into my midcalf work boots...it's like a miracle!
I found that I was able to move my knee a little better while standing, so after that 1/4 Inch Seated Victory I practiced a few times a day, standing with the walker in a corner of the kitchen where the countertop gave me some extra security.
You'll get there, little by little. It seems like once you break a certain physical barrier in recovery, progress goes faster for at least a while. Exercise that Patience Muscle, your work will pay off before long.
 
It’s so good to hear you sounding optimistic again!

Interesting what Chris said about days 4 and 5 being hardest. That sounds about right, maybe more days 2 to 4 for me. The euphoria and anaesthetic have worn off, and the swelling is fighting its way out of our systems.

I don’t know if it would help you, but for my second hip, I was given a leg lifter, which I loved. It is a stiff bit of plastic, like a dog leash for an invisible dog. ( Which is nice because I do in fact have an invisible dog.). And when I stopped needing it to lift my leg, it was very useful for lassoing my grabber if that got out of reach.
 
Hello @wander03
Great to read you’re feeling better! One week under your belt already.
I find three types of members here during recovery.
Those that don’t engage in Physical Therapy with a therapist and do just fine.
Those that believe their therapist knows best and hang on every word they say, whether it causes them pain, or not.
Those that control their PT, rather than visa versa, also listening and open to the opinions and advice of those that have experienced joint replacement surgery and been through the recovery process.
I’m not putting you in one of these categories, nor suggesting you shouldn’t engage in PT, but it is early. I only hope that you won’t do anything that causes you pain. This is not a “no pain, no gain” type of situation. There is not “a window of opportunity” that you could miss. Please keep that in mind and if something you’re directed to do hurts, stop / don’t do it. We’ve seen way too many stall their progress with aggressive PT, which is unnecessary in this recovery. You may be surprised to learn that many have recovered without PT, using walking as their only form of exercise, but not to excess.

I wish you a Happy Thursday and hope you have a good rest of the week!
 
You all have given me a lot to consider. Thank you!

@CricketHip and @Layla I think your concern about a rigorous PT program is valid. Yesterday Chris said to stop short of pain. He said if I continue and exercise into pain, the muscles will rebel and recovery will be slowed. Nevertheless, I think he may be pushing me just a bit too far, so I will discuss that with him in our session tomorrow.
On reflection, I think you are correct in thinking that my program may be a bit too rigorous. I think the main thing Chris is trying to do right now is strengthen the muscles. I just reviewed guidelines by Josephine who said, “Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.” Because my right leg has been compromised for over three years, the muscles have weakened a great deal. I have considerable swelling in my right knee, and I think that is hindering my progress to some extent. I do have a tendency to think that Chris knows best because he was so aghast at the damage done by Baptist Health PT and his understanding of the muscular system seems extensive, so I probably need to be more objective about his approach.
I am trying to temper the program Chris has recommended with the information and advice I receive from BoneSmart. I have been letting Chris assist me in heel slides for my right leg but stopping him when it becomes uncomfortable. On reflection, I think I need to stop heel slides altogether. Chris is also having me do abduction exercises. According to Josephine’s guidelines, it is better not to do those at this time. I think those are the only two exercises Chris is having me do that I need to quit doing. After my experience with overly aggressive physical therapy on my right knee, one would think that I would be more aware of the possibility of PT being too rigorous.

@subie2021 I have the same struggle in lifting my right leg. Chris praises me each time I lift it from the floor. I still have pain when I lift my right foot, but my surgery was only a week ago. Since my knee is now straightened and my right leg will support me, I will utilize your idea of standing and lifting. I am looking forward to breaking that “certain physical barrier in recovery” so that progress will go faster. Yes, I need to exercise my patience muscle.

@Klassy I have a leg lifter that Chris obtained for me together with a dressing stick. My leg lifter is lightweight bendable metal with a silver covering. I have not yet been able to lift my leg with the leg lifter, but I will achieve that eventually. Making it a multi-use tool is a great idea.

Thank you all again for your input. You have kept me from allowing myself to be caught up in a too-rigorous PT program - again. Your input was very timely.
 
I am so impressed that you took our advice in the manner that it was given. If we gave stars to our members I’d nominate you for one!
Of course your muscles are in a weakened state but your body just went through a major surgery, now it’s earned the time to rest and recover in the best possible way.
Not to scare you but sometimes when we push too hard too fast? Tendinitis can develop, then you have a chronic issue to contend with.
I love that you have found some of Jo’s amazing advice and guidance to reflect on.
I hope you have a lovely night’s sleep!
 
Just from my experience you can't build strength in traumatized muscles they have to heal first. By working them they heal slower and hurt more and longer. I think all of us that have gone through this will tell you that you don't have to get near the pain point to join the over did it club. It's odd how great I'd feel so I'd push it and walk a little further or walk on a hill and I'd feel great. Then a few hours later I'd feel the effects. The few times I did something to the point of knowing it was too much is when I really suffered setbacks.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom