TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always found it easier to sleep on my surgical side for some reason. I'm just now able to sleep on my left side. I either use a body pillow and sort of situate my leg is front of my other. I think the key is to try to keep your surgical leg alaigned with your hip. It's a big trial & error with pillows, but hopefully you'll find what works for you. I know u made slushy freezer bags so maybe if tthey're secure enough & won't leak, you can angle the side of your knee on one of those instead of a pillow. Keep up the great work!! One week down ;)
 
@DogLoverx3 yes I have learned that about the whole hip alignment...great idea about squishy ice bags. I just never sleep on right side...I know I need to appreciate that I CAN sleep on my side a little.

Positives for the day!

My 16 year old has truly stepped up, done lots around the house and has played nurse awesome!
My 9 year old daughter has been a trooper and a huge help.

I lifted my leg onto the bed. Without thinking...I didn't grab my scarf...I just did it...didn't even think once...it hurt but not horribly. My daughter was a cheerleader afterwards..she was like My MOMMY is amazing!!! She is coming back.

I am not so sure about that but I do have moments where I feel like myself a little..... I brushed my long hair today...and I didn't cringe. Got my side table all cleaned up here....
 
That's SO GREAT about moving your leg all on it's own!!!! I wasn't able to for probably 2+ weeks! That's a BIG accomplishment, so be proud of yourself!! Great to hear your kids are stepping up too! I'm sure they feel very good about being able to help mom!
 
@Karringtyn I can so relate to your comment re: OCD setting in! I haven't had my surgery yet and I already know I'll have a tough time with that one. It will l drive me nuts to be immobile and see messes all around! Maybe having this surgery will teach me to just let go! Ha Ha

Hang in there :)
 
OMG, I can SO relate to OCD issues. I haven't been doing hardly a darn thing around the house. From my vantage point on my sectional, I can literally see every little dust particle on my TV center - it's driving me NUTS!! I actually dreamt of running through the house doing all the dusting THEN the dang vacuuming and sweeping! Hubby is getting a cleaning lady to come in, but he hasn't scheduled yet. I, like you, keep my side table up, make my bed each morning, start a load of laundry, and may start the dishwasher here or there but I'm certainly not up to actually housework yet. I'm getting ready to take the bull by the horns and do the scheduling myself, I can't stand not having a clean house!
 
Any hints on sleeping/positioning better? I can sort of sleep better on my right side...but I would rather sleep on my left side...but can't get my right leg up and positioned. ANY tips would be appreciated!
Wow, I'm a side sleeper myself. It was difficult at best sleeping on my back, but managed. What worked for me was actually sleeping on a day bed in my living room, it seemed to restrict my movement verses the king size bed. The only way for me was the pillow between my legs. Five weeks today and sleeping position still a problem, turn, twist move, slide, adjust, add, move,more pillows, less pillows. Sleep, wake up, move around some more. Till this day I cannot rest one leg on the other without a pillow while on either side. Hang in there!!!!!!
 
Congrats on picking up your leg without using any gizmos! One of those early signs of progress. Finding a good sleeping position is definitely trial and error. The important thing is to rest.
 
friend let me use his ice machine again..woohooo
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
 
I feel so nauseous today. More ex lax. I haven't really ate in days. I find it funny I will have my phone in hand and I fall asleep mid sentence. Before surgery I slept MAYBE 4 hours a night..
 
I ate a bag of prunes and drank a quart of prune juice, it worked, LOL, Yuk, I hate prunes. Hang in there!!!!!
 
Hey Karringtyn. The energy drain absolutely surprised me the most ,by far. At first i would get cold , sweaty and sleepy, almost immediately felt exhausted. I imagined it must feel like going five rounds with Mike Tyson , but had only went to the bathroom . also The medication had a thing to do about that !!! I read you whole thread, you have kept your sense of humor through this all, which is great !!! So sad to hear that your pain level hadnt been managed well by the hospital. And you still are trying to figure it out. I cut my meds in half ,at least. No more oxycontin @ oxycodone. Just tramadol 50 mg@3 extra strengh tylenol every 4-5 hours. Along with a daily celebrex. I actually took a 5mg oxycontin for PT. Along with 20 hours atleast a day of iceing and elevation.


Heavy pain medication and proper bowel movements do not go hand in hand. Something we are figuring out now even though I had proper knowledge of it happening. I had prune juice , miralax @ stool softeners weeks before my surgery , waiting on me. I still got plugged up! :-( finally my GF got fleet , a suppository. Well my dear I know you have a sense of humor so I will tell you one of my funnier experiences so far. Catheters! Never had one UNTIL last monday for 2 days. Now! Catheter was never mention by anyone until a nurse came over to empty it!!! I was like WHAT THE HECK! Needless to say , my girlfriend and I had to investigate the damages. Initially upon feeling the neither region over my blanket it felt like a swollen ruby red grapefruit. So I let out a OMG!! Only to lift my blanket, pull down my underwear and notice all is normal but a little doped up on tons of meds. Almost as if my IV drip was pumping tequila all night. Both me and my GF busted out laughing. Now thats funny !!! Well Karringtyn I hope the worst is behind you. One day this will all be worth it. Best of luck , ill keep in touch
 
oh @Billy prunes...oh dear God I don't know if I can muster that!!!! I need too though!!

ICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE @icep707 you are killing me.....bwhahahahhahahhahahahaha My tummy hurts from the blood thinner shots....and abs work outs....but that was funny!

I was walking all over without the walker last night till hubby brought it in and said "oh dear God my superwoman what are you trying to prove?" I seriously just forgot about it!

I think my pain tolerance is getting higher....I still hurt...I hurt a solid 8. Sleeping at night ist he wrost...but I dod it. I do lay here most days all day...I get up for a little bit, but I am exhausted....sometimes I feel like the lady on the 600 pound life show on tlc...big woman ono her bed all day...people doting on her. OH how I hate being dependent on people. Makes me feel lazy.

But this summer...I hope and pray I am back to work, that this time of my life is just a distant memory and I can use this time as a way of giving back. We shall see.
 
Thats real great that you can walk without a walker. BUT dont!! Not yet. Too early. Even me ! Evil knievil aint ditching my walker yet but I know its close. Im actually leaving the neighborhood tomorrow to see my OS. Sort of excited about it but not the energy drain. Its only been 10 days. This is what I did for a BM. I started taking stool softeners daily for weeks prior to surgery. Than started drinking prune juice and something else at hospital. No BM but only there 2 days. When I get home continue drinking prune juice with miralax. Still no BM for 5 days. GF gets fleet suppository and two hours later I had to sit and do something. Prior to this passing gas and listening to my stomach churning very slow and very very loud. Well I pooped something but didnt feel complete at all , I felt short changed. GF and I disagree about my med intake , she says im getting too loaded.i say im pain free.but tired , nauseas and no appetite. GF wins I cut meds but im in more pain than before but not hitting a 5. 1 day later had a great BM and today another great pain free BM. Thanks to those weeks of softeners . I didnt want a impacted bowel. So its very tough to figure it out. Now ,is my GF insensitive. ?...... probably. Im rambling. Sorry. Keep the faith . We got this !!!
 
@tek'smom yes def this summer!

@icep707 never thought I would find relief talking about BM...I mean I did go some in hospital and a little when I got home....but not a full one....I want it over!! LOL Your gf is probably right the meds are doing it, but I am NOT ready to cut back on pain meds
 
And by no means do ! Stay on schedule, med coach a great phone app !! You can be alerted for scheduled doses to your downloaded music. Really cool .
 
I have been taking 2 Colace everyday. Finally went this morning after 1 week with no bm. Now I have diarrhea. UGH!
 
Sorry to burst in here, but I just spent 30 minutes on the sitz bath and think this is the right place to be. :heehee:
I pratically exploded 4 days after my surgery, then relief.
 
I LOVE you guys! I never thought I would have the best of friends to help me pooooop! I am drinking coffee now...hoping and praying.

Thanks @Texan @Pumpkln you all are such a great help.

The pain today is a little better than yesterday. I looked around and my OCD went nuts about my house. I Have to have it perfect. This is driving me nuts!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom