Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
play together on the playground this summer

Hi @Karringtyn
Stopping in to say hi and to welcome you to the other side. :)

Sounds like great plans for this summer with your daughter!
Having a great time on the playground with her; it doesn't get better than that! :SUNsmile:
 
Sooooo I sit here and my stomach is grumbling and rumbling. I DO NOT want to have a bowel movement on the commode...but I also know I can't make it to the bathroom.(all the way over there...see me pointing!)...ugh.

I got to 95 ROM today and everyone is telling me that it is great...so I must be doing something right. I Hate hate hate hate when I go to sit down and my foot doesn't move forward and OMG it hurtssssssss.
 
Karringtyn,
I am 2 weeks out and haven't reached 95 degrees yet! Fantastic job!!!
 
Hi, the pain is bad and don't feel like you're not coping! As for sleeping in hospital, all them for a pillow to put beside you you then you can sleep on your side, I also found having the foot of the bed elevated helped me.
Persevere and it will get better, I don't remember a lot of hospital as I was so out of it on pain meds but felt so much better when I went home. . It does get better, believe me!!
 
I woke up crying this morning. I feel like the biggest baby. I dread having to pee....it's not the getting to the commode...it's lifting that leg to get back on the bed...it's unbelievable. I am still on morphine. I am here till tomorrow and I truly can't see myself even able to get up tomorrow to go home. I must be a huge baby, because even the lady next door who is a day ahead of me and 30 years older is out walking the halls.

The block was shut off at 11:30 so I am bracing myself. I hear so many on here that say "the pain wasn't that bad" and I just shake my head. It is horrible to me...unbearable and I have to get a wraps on pain before going home. I really am disappointed in myself. I really am.
 
Hi Karringtyn, sorry about how you woke up this morning. Sorry to tell you, but there will be more of those weepy spells to come. Doesn't make you a baby, we all have them (just not everyone admits to them) ;-) this is a tough and exhausting process. You're doing great!

As for the leg (which I called a log for the 1st 3 weeks), when you get back to bed sit down and the tuck your 'good' foot uneder your surgical leg and use that to 'lift' it onto the bed. It will take a while for your quads to kick back in and be able to lift the leg on it's own. Mine took close to 3 weeks, but many are much faster to 'wake up'.

BTW, those that say the pain 'isn't that bad' are VERY lucky. To me, this was unlike any other pain I'd ever felt and FAR worse than I imagined. Do not be disappointed in yourself, this hurts and you are very justified in feeling pain, complaining, crying, doing whatever you need to do. I do promise you though that it will get better. It will take a while, but it will.

Btw, if you want to look at my own thread ( https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/time-to-stop-lurking-my-journey-as-of-12-16.22717/ ) it will give you a pretty clear vision of what i've gone thru. We're close in age so I fear you will have the same misconception of what 'do nothing' means. I don't get embarassed easily so it states all the times i cried or had pity parties for myself along the way. I'm 8 weeks out and things are looking up, but it's not been an easy road for me (mostly due to my own doings)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Karringtyn,
You are not a big baby. You have been through major surgery! I did leg lifts for weeks before surgery. Then I wake up from surgery and have this dead leg laying on the bed. It wouldn't do anything I told it to do. To move in the bed, I would tuck my good foot under the dead one and move it that way. My doctor didn't use a catheter after surgery so I had to use bed pans. The nurses gave me the option of trying to get up or the bed pan. I had never used one before and that was a new experience. I asked for wet wipes to use to clean up. Can't imagine trying to get to the bathroom with that dead leg. When the block wore off my leg, I knew it. Told the nurses immediately that I was in pain and they got more pain pills for me. Occupational therapy and nurses didn't try getting me up until the block wore off. Tell them you need something more for pain. Don't worry about what other patients are able to do. Everyone is different. You will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
 
Congrats on your successful surgery and your start to your road to recovery!!!' Hang in there!!! Things will improve as you go along!!!

Best to you!
 
thank you. I have been pretty point on as to what I need. Only have had a couple of non caring nurses, but they are quickly put away because the nurses here keep telling me how sweet I am, and they want to be my nurse. They are trying to wean me off from morphine and the block stopped last night. Seriously? So I am suppose to be double whammied. I am waiting for caregiver to come in so I can get cleaned up and dressed somewhat.
 
I wonder if your "non caring" nurses have experienced the challenge and pain of TKR????! Not likely...:shocked:.....

Have a good day....
 
I found the CPM thing not at all useful and was very happy I did not use it at home. Icing is invaluable. I used gel packs.
Remember childbirth? Remember pursing your lips and exhaling short breaths out? It helps a lot when trying to move a very uncooperative leg. I don't know if it is the breathing, the noise, or what but it helps. I still use it in the evenings when I am tired and achey and trying to get off the couch to go to bed.
Life is great, you will get better.
 
This surgery can break the strongest of people . There also was a post on here about age playing a part in pain . Someone in the medical profession can give you the accurate info .
I so wish I could be there to reassure you that you have nothing to feel disappointed in . You are doing great . You have been posting very clear not garbled that in itself is an accomplishment to be able to do this when you are in so much pain . Do not try to be strong just ask for help pain meds whatever you may need ,
Best . Pam
 
Oh how I love and appreciate you all!! Just a kind word makes all the difference! So when PT came in, I told her point blank what I was feeling.....She gave me this awesome warm shower cap that washed my hair.....for someone with long hair...I needed that...I needed my hair washed to feel human again. Then my male PT came in. He couldn't tell me enough about how amazing I am. How awesome I am doing. I told him I felt like a failure. Well he pulled up a chair and chatted with me about what my expectations should be and how I am indeed far past those. I got up and walked to hallway and back. I have minimal pain and haven't taken a morphine shot since seven. I am keeping on my Percocet, I am wondering if it's just me that I am becoming dependent on it. I am so afraid of pain.
 
Stay on top of your meds . They gave me plenty. Download med coach to your smart phone . As im oxycontin. Oxycodone, tramadol, Xarelto and celebrex. now my appetite disappeared so I feel nauseous. I ate like a horse at the hospital but different story at home. I get the log leg too fortunately I use a hospital plastic urinal bottle to pee in. Watch out for the energy drain and remember to breathe. Dont hold your breath when doing your PT. are u scheduling your medication ?? I constantly have meds in my systems. So fortunately pain hasnt been to bad. My PT discouraged me a little bit yesterday when she gave me a list of exercises . Way too much too early. I ankle pumps alot and bend me knee here and there and get up every couple of hours to try for a BM . As I expected not successful. Girlfriend went to get suppositories. Keep your head up. Look at the big prize. Summertime will be gorgeous. My granddaughter will be 4 soon and I want to roll around and bend and play with her too. Stay positive BTW great ROM .
 
Agree with icep707!!!!! Stay on top of your meds and ahead of the pain as best you can!!

Hang in there.....it will get better....
 
Take the percocet. It isn't forever but you will definitely need it regularly for awhile. You're not getting addicted to it, it isn't forever. You will know when you feel like cutting back but it isn't now!
 
It will be five weeks on Monday for me, I had the exact same concerns about Hydrocodone addiction, truthfully I don't see what it does other than kill my pain as it should, so I dnt understand addiction to t?. I have always been an anti-medication type person, but the hydrocodone does work. I take one before bed to help me sleep through the night, hang in there, stay positive and focused, it does get better over time, trust me.
 
Keep taking your meds. I had BTKR and I used them for about 8 wks. I had no problem stopping. Good luck on your recovery. I am 16 wks. post op. and my knees feel great. It is worth it.
 
I am on top of my med. I take Percocet every 4 hours. I was taking morphine hourly, but trying to wean myself off so I can go home tomorrow. They don't do icing OR elevation here but trust me...I have the ice going...I was able to walk to the bathroom and back and had BM....FINALLY! That was about 40 steps in itself...I had done the hallway earlier. I feel so much more confident. I just did PT exercises again and they seem to be getting easier. PT did them on husband so he could know how to do them with me. Definitely a great support system here.....going to miss the staff....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom