Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an iphone, my app is drugs.com (free). You enter the med, dose, frequency and it sets all the reminders. What I don't like is that if you have your phone on silent, the alerts don't override that. Initially I just used my built in clock program and set actual alarms so I wouldn't miss dosing during the night - mornings are rough enough, I just didn't want to wake in more pain because I missed meds.

Doc had prescribed DOK stool softener in hospital which hardly did a DANG thing when on full schedule of pain meds - it was horribly painful!! So, I upped the dose to FOUR per day, ate tons of prunes/raisons/melon/nuts/grains, then finally resorted to an actual laxative. After using that just once, it was like it kicked the body back into gear and things have been pretty normal since. The constipation actually bothered me MORE than the BTKR!!
 
YES the constipation is making me miserable!! I Have had EX lax for days....took milk of magnesia in hospital (PUKE)....well I just took 2 stool softeners and ClearLAX....crossing fingers.

Positive for the day?

I can lay on my left side now. OOOOHHH I am so excited....this means I can lay facing hubby and we can chat in close proximity to each other. I know silly...but goodness I miss being in his PRESENCE!

My right lower leg in the calf area....hurts so much....top of my right foot is swollen and bruised pretty bad. My entire leg has started to bruise....
 
Medcoach is a free app for my galaxy phone. I already have music downloaded from gtunes on my phone. Gtunes is a free download music app . Medcoach is cool cause it will alert you with any song you have on your phone. At first my phone was going off atleast 12 times aday. Different song each time if I desired. im taking less meds now so not as many alarms which in this case is a song. If you dont have songs it will alert you with various sounds , beeps , horns, sirens. At first I was confused on how to program but im sure one of your teens can figure out with eyes closed. Theres other apps as well go to your app store or Google . Got to go. Praying you are doing well. Read my last post on my thread about my day . So blessed !!
 
I tell all of my patients that I operate on to be proactive to avoid constipation, thus, I tried to be pro-active. It has basically worked. Usually healthy BM every morning after post op day 3. The regimen is tablespoon of milk of magnesia, colace stool softener and the best: Konsyl. is another form of Metamucil. I think it mixes better and is tasteless. There is data that bulk fiber laxatives like Konsyl or Metamucil used daily can reduce incidence of colon cancer. Get u some, Karryngtin!
As for sleep, I still hurt like a mofo trying to get on my sides. The knee just throbs and aches when I am on either side. Suggestions?
Braindoc
 
I use lots of pillows @braindoc ...especially body pillows. I jet my hip way out and lift that leg. LOL if you could see me right now I am actually trying to show you! I sleep best on my right side...all snuggled. Then I flip to my back...I lay two pillows on each side....kind of like in a coffin....I LOVE being all snuggled in. I sleep with 6 comforters...yes reread that...6. I LOVE being all cuddled in.


Warning TMI!


I did it. I was up all night...but I felt like I was in serious labor. I finally went to the bathroom and felt what I thought looked like a dinosaur egg....OMG I have no idea how I did.

So glad that is over. Konsyl? Never heard of that!
 
YIPPEEEEEEEE !!!!! Its like when my son took his first step.. just a warning though you won a battle. A war is still going on in your stomache. Stool softeners work big time. Now you got to pay Rick your taxes. Brick layers union president. Sounds like you are a weiner in a giant fluffy bun when your asleep with a condiment sticking out being your leg. Perhaps a long sliver of onion. I hope your pain resides. Are you eating at all ?? Be patient with your support team and vice versa. Its easy to be super sensitive at this point. But you are a tough cookie / weiner . You will be alright. Everything else good .?
 
Welcome to the Brick Layers & Movers Club . I'm glad to hear everything came out all right in the end . I'll bet it took some attention away from your knee for a bit didn't it ?

Rick
 
Karrington, I just found your thread and stated reading a bit. We are almost at the same point since I had my LTKR on feb13th. I never really had too much of an issue with BMs, I started Milk of Magnesia the first day post op and take it daily. I also eat a ton of fruit and drink gallons of water! I also saw that you were having a problem finding a nice pump. Did you find one yet? I have mine on probably 20 hours a day. And get thet leg as high in the air as you can.
 
@RickSt and @icep707 bwhahahhahahhaha:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin: If you could have seen me....I sure got a lot of movement on the knee from my bed to the bathroom last night...hurt to stand hurt to sit...hubby yelling in..."Babe can I help you?":gaah: PULL IT OUT! is what I wanted to yell. afterwards I wanted to celebrate!:martini: Am I eating? Not much at all. I am a HUGE girl so I have plenty to live off from....

My tummy hurts so bad still though. I can't have another night like last night.
 
Hi @Nana Mo nice to meet you! I did have a friend loan me the ice machine...I haven't used it like I should....this whole BM took over my life the last couple of days.....argh. How are you feeling??
 
You guys have me more worried about constipation than the actual surgery or recovery!!!!!!!
 
Derby, get hydrated now and stay hydrated throughout. I am a firm believer in that. Water is like my magic elixir! And if your doc doesn't start you on Milk of Mag right away...ask. I got it first day after and have not had any problems.
 
Hi @Nana Mo this whole BM took over my life the last couple of days.....argh. ??

Yea, it will for a couple of days . I didn't even want to eat for a couple of days after . Today was my first day of having a decent appetite .

Rick
 
Hey karrington, I am doing good I think! I have a great doctor and a really good therapists and my husband is a saint so those things make even the rough patches go smoother. I did my TKR as out patient so I was out the door after 23 1/2 hours which was a bit scary but it was so nice to be recovering in my own home. I LIVE with my ice machine on....it makes a huge difference. Only downfall is that my feet are now always freezing! Fortunately we are empty nesters so I do not have any children to feel like I need to do things for. You are young....did you have an injury on your knee?
 
Nurses told me I won an award for the highest volume of input and output post op! Hydrate, hydrate. Only down fall to that is that once the bag comes out you are up to the bathroom a lot. I don't need to plan my walk time, it is forced on me by my own water habits
 
What did I do wrong??? I hydrate constantly!! I took M of M from the beginning...the CLINCHER for me!! They gave me an iron pill...that is my DOOM! All my levels were perfect before surgery....and then my iron shot low....dang IRON!

@Derby ANYTHING to take your mind off the surgery...:scratch: I will have problems pooping after?? ok....:giggle:

@Nana Mo you have inspired me to get my ice machine going again.....I have been up moving around a lot today....(bathroom lol) but I will try to sleep with it tonight.....the pain right now is HIGH...ugh.
 
I woke up at 8...shot up quickly...looked at time and about lost it...I still had 30 minutes.....OMG the pain this morning was intense. I ALWAYS wake up so twisted and in pain. I am quite the mover in my sleep...even now.....hubby was like BABE...what can I do??? Me...in the nicest tone possible....DON'T TALK! lol

I got my pain meds took a little early...got ice machine on.....and well here I am...hubby snoozing next to me....I read my FB news feed...I have a friend complaining about a headache....another one saying that her finger hurts so bad it must be broken....and then me...I want to post "I FU&^*&^&*^&*^*&^ hurt!" I had no idea what pain was till now.

Can I tell you guys how much you help me? Your humor, love, care, and ears help IMMENSELY!

My goal for today? A shower! I am going to beg hubster when he wakes up to help me...he probably will be like bow chica bow wow....and I will be like...slow down Nelly...just a hot shower......:yes!:

Here is a pic of the knees 4 days ago...
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom