TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great that hubby can pick up the meds before he breaks you out of there! Don't ever feel down on yourself or like you're complaining or not doing as well as you 'think' you should. This is a TOUGH surgery and recovery. Whine, cry, complain as much as you want. You are going to have to ask for help. Your husband loves you and wants to help you through this. It's just temporary. Don't try to do things for yourself that others can do for you. Believe me, I learned the hard way! ;-) Glad you slept well last night but sorry about the pain meds. Be sure to set alarms and make a schedule to take your meds on time even if you have to wake up to take a dose. You want to stay ahead of your pain instead of having to chase it as it takes a while to catch up. You can do this!!!
 
I am glad you will go home with scripts/meds in hand. Also relieved the doctor demonstrated some common sense. During my first week, I never believed I would get better or lose the walker when I did. You will, too.
 
Woohoo! You get to go home!!! Are you going to have a home health nurse and PT for a few weeks at home? When I got home, I had my son get a big tray to keep beside me with my cell phone and charger, kleenex, flashlight for getting up during the night, a notepad and pen to keep track of when I took meds during the night and things I wanted to remember (I couldn't remember anything when I got home from all the meds.) and my laptop. This kind of kept things in a concentrated area. I have taken control of a king size bed in the guest room because I move around and wake up during the night and don't want to bother my husband. My husband puts snacks in a ziploc bag before bed so I have something to eat before taking meds during the night. I keep 3 king size pillows on the bed also for elevating during the night. It is nice to have everything I need in the confines of the king size bed so I can reach everything during the night. My husband fills the Polar Care Cube before he goes to bed so I can ice during the night. It doesn't last until 6 a.m. when he comes in again but for the most part it stays cold. It looks like I have a nest! We have kind of worked out a routine after 2 weeks and you and your husband will too. Things will get better. You will wake up one morning and be able to do something that you couldn't do the day before. You will also have bad days where nothing seems to go right. I have been extremely nauseated, but today I am not so that makes for a good day. You will find the little things that make for a good day for you. So happy you are going home today. Good luck!
 
Thank you all for the encouragement. I have 2 and a half hours. The nurses today have been amazing. I took an OXY that was added today and well it didn't set well. Got Zofran and slept. Trying to eat mashed potatoes now.....just to have some food. I am a big girl...won't get skinny fast, but trust me I have had no appetite this whole week....been very odd. Ex hubby got a wheelchair so that him and hubby can get me in easier to the house (we have a long walk from car to front door)....I have an amazing walker...bed is all set up downstairs in big living room. Hubby put a side table...I can't believe how sore the rest of me is! I feel like I have worked out for a HUGE insanity video....my ABS are rock hard ahahhahha I don't even have ABS. I am taking OXY and percs home. I also take Xanax......hopefully this will be the cocktail of choice to get me comfortable. I also have to do the lovanox shot in belly...ouch. Simple little needle but it is odd to give it to yourself!
 
The pain meds mess with your appetite. Just try to eat something a few times a day.
 
Your setup sounds great in the living room! Keep a package of saltines on your table for when you take your meds and for when your tummy is acting up. The Zofran will help, I take that as well. Your appetite will be pretty close to nil for at least a couple of weeks (wouldn't you know, that even with not eating much I still only lost 2 lbs! darn it). You will find that other parts of your body start to hurt as you're compensating for your knee. My wrists, back & shoulder have taken the brunt of all my fidgeting. You'll probably also notice that once you get home and start on your schedule of meds, you may have 'hot flashes'. Go from cold to hot to sweating to freezing. Uber annoying, but one of the bonuses in the goody bag of recovery so not to worry.

Awesome that your ex and current are working together to make you comfortable! Have fun with the wheelchair! :-)
 
Here is a tip which I appreciated more than any other right after my TKR. When you're home, take a sash from your bathrobe or another belt, and when you need to lift or lower your leg to/from the bed, or the car, wherever, put the sash under the arch of your surgical foot and move it yourself. That way you are in control and can control the degree of discomfort. I tied that sash to my walker so it was always at the ready.
 
:sleep::sleep:I am home. Was a rough night. I had horrible indigestion. I felt like I was going to throw up every time I moved. But the pain seems to be more manageable at home. Hubby did my Lovanox shot this morning. Which I could have cried, not from pain, but because he did it. He is petrified of needles and did it without thinking. He said he got a lump in his throat but knew it was the least he could do for me. Have I said how much I love him? I would be lost without him. He is my driving force. He did my PT on me this morning, he was tough but listened to me. Stopped when it was too much. We made ice packs with the rubbing alcohol before surgery and those are a blessing! Thanks @Foxmyster1967 for that hint. Yes thanks! That hint of using a sheet, scarf, belt has been INVALUABLE...Foxy told me that as well before surgery and it helps so much. I feel like I have been ran over by a train. Everything I do exhausts me. I get up to pee and down I go to take a nap. I feel like I have mono again. I pass out midsentence, midtext....others go through this?

MY appetite is nil. I am ok with that. They are having me weigh myself every two days to watch for any rapid weight gain. I am up .8 pounds since surgery...probably because I am so backed up. Dumb question...does the replacement weight more than the original knee?

I am so blessed I could cry. I have so many amazing friends and family. And this place. Ok off for a nap, lazy bum I am. :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
 
Yay, Mr. Karringtyn!
 
I agree with Kneeper. Your hubby sounds wonderful and I can sense how much you mean to each other in the way you describe him! I was fortunate to be in the same situation. I am amazed at people who do this and live alone. I met a few in the hospital when I had my surgery and was very thankful for my support system. I felt very spoiled!

You sound like you are doing all the right things for recovery. Fatigue is a huge factor. I was prepared for everything but had no idea what exhaustion truly meant until this surgery. I ended up anemic and take a product made from beets (high in iron) to build my blood back up. For me it took a good six weeks to have energy again. I remember one person on this forum saying something like they fell asleep while answering a post and woke up to nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.... On their computer. It is very real. Rest up, ice, and elevate all you can. It is not quick but totally works. I wish you all the best and look forward to your posts!
 
Yup, going through this while living alone SUCKS! :tantrum: I'm glad your hubby is taking such wonderful care of you!! Welcome home!!
 
Great to be home, isn't it??!! It sounds like you're getting settled in well, just make sure not to allow yourself to get too backed up - constipation is a big issue caused by the surgery, pain meds, change in activity. There's a whole article on it in the Library with a couple of recipes to help you out if needed. It was a BIG problem for me, but I tend to have issues anyway. At times it caused more pain and discomfort than the surgery.

Hee hee, I used one of hubby's ties to move my legs one at a time and it worked like a charm. I'd also recommend having something high in protein during the day (great to help with healing). I used some really nice protein bars and nibbled on them around med times. Other than that, rest, ice, elevate - do a whole lot of nothing other than what's absolutely necessary right now.
 
Karringtyn, we are all in this boat together! It ain't gonna sink! There are hours when I feel like I want to just cry at the pain. We get it we understand. The ice/compression machines are wonderful. They help!
 
Now the left side of my mouth and teeth hurt...seriously? I am on pain meds...how is this possible. I have slept much of the day. It passed in a blur....and the pain is still there...I wake up and think quickly..."maybe it don't hurt" and well then it does! ugh
 
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
@Karringtyn. It's been a [Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath , but you're only 5 days post op---and the first couple of weeks are usually the worst. So you do have something to look forward to. Are you taking your pain meds on a schedule? If not, you need to get on a schedule---set the alarm if you're sleeping through pill time. Are you elevating and icing? You need lots of this, even when you're sleeping. It really helps the pain and swelling.

Follow those BoneSmart mantras----they do make a world of difference. And please get yourself a little notebook and note all the milestones you pass on the long, long road to recovery. 'Cause when you're feeling discourged, taking a look at how far you've already come is a big boost to morale.

I promise you, IT WILL GET BETTER with TIME & PATIENCE.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
 
Just woke up...mouth feels a little bit better...whacked my poor knee on side table...but slept well. LOve my hubby cuddling in behind me and gently rubbing my back.....SO blessed.
 
I have slept a lot today, my pain level is a little more tolerable....my tooth/face feels better...I took ex lax last night I wish I could just GOOO. My kids have been great caring for me. My hardest part is not forcing myself up and start cleaning. I see so many messes. My OCD is going nuts. The kids and hubby have done wonderful! I just feel like it's been a week tomorrow.....time to get this show on the road!!
 
Any hints on sleeping/positioning better? I can sort of sleep better on my right side...but I would rather sleep on my left side...but can't get my right leg up and positioned. ANY tips would be appreciated!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom