Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear you're in so much pain today . I totally understand . As much as others may want to help, sometimes you just want left alone . My pain hasn't been that bad, just a dull nagging ache . Sleeping is still a rough row to hoe . I just can't get comfortable enough to get a good nights sleep . My swelling is up today but it may be the weather .

Rick
 
@RickSt what's the weather like in Florida today? It's 42 here in NY...that's a heat wave!! :)
 
@RickSt what's the weather like in Florida today? It's 42 here in NY...that's a heat wave!! :)

73 but humid . We have a chance of rain all week end . I think that's why my swelling is up . Right now the sun is trying to peak out but it's not having much luck .

Rick
 
@RickSt I can't IMAGINE humid. AHHH. I can't wait! Pain is more tolerable with ice machine running...
 
You might wanna ask your doc for stronger meds or atleast add tylenol to your regimen. I took a shower last night for the first time .OMG!!! Best shower of my life as I let myself go for the last week in a half. GF helped , she was more worried than me. Had the shower chair ! I also have a tub and was able to get in no problem. No log leg at all. GF nervous and grabby and I told her to relax, just dont let me fall. Pain got up to 3-4 for a little bit ,but I powdered the tushy, lotioned my body ,gave underarms a much needed 100 super quick swipes of old spice. SLEPT LIKE A BABY !! Elavated and iced. Have a great shower !! Scar looks pretty good !!
 
Oh Karrington I am so sorry you are in such pain. When you sleep at night do you keep it elevated up on pillows and keep the ice on? I sleep with at least 3 pillows under my leg and have my ice machine all full and ready to go. I am so bundled in it is almost impossible for me to move. Give that a try and see how it works for you and showering is definitely worth the pain and discomfort because it feels so good once it is done. I think your leg looks great! I am bruised from mid calf up through my thigh!!
 
I can't sleep with ANY pillows under it...it goes numb...I surround it in body pillows....I am a HUGE body pillow fan. I usually can sleep on my right side as long as my body pillow is positioned right.


SO my funny story for the day.

My Girl dog is in heat. Guess what for the first time happened today? Oh yeah...the dogs decided to get stuck together and enjoy a moment. I have never seen anything like this before. Of course hubby was at work. Kids are like MOM! What is going on? Yeah.....we talk about the birds and bees....but um dogs and heat and all of that? Oh my aching head. I have a knee to deal with not this too!!:puppysmooze::happydance::scratch:

So I have iced all morning. Before that I had a great shower. Not using walker at all today. It's here...but feel pretty steady. The day I went into surgery I was hobbling so bad I couldn't take it. Now though I hurt...I want to rejoice because I am able to WALK. Like put FULL PRESSURE on that bad boy!:dancy: I am rejoicing...yup...hurt like hell...BUT I CAN DO IT! I have waitressed on a bum knee for nearly three years in pain.....and well there is hope!

Any idea how long you think I will be out of work? Please be realistic with me. I guess I have always told myself 6 weeks....well I am almost at 2 weeks and well...yeahhhhhh. I work at a very busy steakhouse...that we line dance at....run constantly. Yes I was doing that while hobbling around. I guess they told me to stop dancing once they saw how unsteady I was lol!:dancy::dancy::dancy::rofsign::rofsign:
 
Oh sweetie, my vote is NO WAY on even considering going back at 6 weeks. If you're able, I really would hold out for the whole 12 weeks and then if possible, go back working a shorter schedule (shorter shifts, fewer days) for a while to see how you're doing. Having been in the biz, I KNOW how much running around you do and add to that carrying trays and such and that's all added pressure on your poor knee (not to mention the dancing!). I went back to work MUCH too early (i'm single and self employed, so no working means no $$) and it has absolutely slowed down my recovery. I'm still progressing right along, but just in a sort of 'remedial' category. You want to give your knee as much time as possible to heel before going back to work.

I'm sorry you woke up in pain. You'll figure your meds out and your pain will be less. I promise. It just takes time and more patience than a lot of us are used to. Careful with not using the walker, my friend. Just walking around puts a lot of pressure on your knee and if you're practicing your proper heel-toe gait, you will start to feel in in your hamstrings behind your knee. I think you're doing great!! Keep up the terrific work!!
 
12 weeks. UGH. I can't handle this. I know in reality that's how it will be. I LOVE waitressing. I have done it all of my adulthood....whether I was working my career job and it was a second job or it was fulltime.. I LOVE taking care of people....of making quick cash and being out talking to people. A few people have stopped over this week, I really don't want to see anyone. I don't want anyone to see me in so much pain...or struggling. See I am Invincible! (It's my cover up).. no one can know just how weak I truly am.
 
You're not weak, you're healing and I'm the same way. I didn't want anyone to see me in pain or needing *gasp* help with anything as it would destroy my perfectly crafted ruse of being invincible and ability to handle everything on my own. This surgery was a HUGE wake up call. It's okay to okay to ask for help and it makes others feel good to be able to help you! I'm just like you in that I love taking care of people and that's why I do what I do. I'm not used to having the tables turned. I totally understand your not wanting to see anyone right now, but I bet that will change in a couple of weeks. Careful with that cloak of invincibility though, I found out that if you keep it up long enough, others start to feel as if they're not needed. :sad:

Although the money would be MUCH different, maybe you could start back a bit earlier hostessing for short shifts? Still a lot of walking, but you'd be able to sit in between and wouldn't need to be carrying heavy trays or dealing with slippery kitchen floors.

I always hated when people told me this, but you're SO early into recovery - just 11 days. It gets better. Things will get easier. Pain will be less. Outlook will be better. Be easy on yourself and do what you need to do. :console2:

Oh, and I saw in doc's thread a question from you. Over the pond (in the UK) they call an operating room 'the theatre' :)
 
I have realized through this site I am a HUGE baby. I am. I feel like the biggest failure. I can't handle this pain. What I would call a 9 in pain...I am sure others are calling a 3. Today has been horrible. I almost went to the hospital. Everyone on here is so positive...going out....doing dishes, doing laundry.

My spirit is broken tonight. I had a good cry today. I was so excited to get a new knee...but from right now...to when that new knee is good...seems too far away. People say don't overdo it. But I see on here others telling me they went out, to dinner, to friends, shopping...I couldn't do it. I can't even sit at the dinner table without my body aching. My kids look at me with so much sadness. They want their Mommy back, not this cold heartless piece of poo who feels useless. I am so broken right now. I have snapped at hubby today...on more than one occasion. I get an F for recovery.

I am icing. I am elevating. I am taking my meds. I am doing PT.

But the pain is something I can't handle.

It was 52 today. 52 is huge for NY. I want to be out there. With my friends. With my hair done, makeup on....dressed up...looking cute....but I sit in shorts...t-shirt...ponytail....and looking rather pathetic.

Maybe seeing everyone's great posts about how wonderful they are doing isn't good for me. Maybe I am judging my own personal recovery on someone elses wayyy too much.

All I know is I want to crawl up and sleep for the next 8 weeks. And disappear.
 
You are NOT a baby Karringtyn! You are 11 days from surgery and the pain IS big! I cried every single day for almost 5 weeks and was in horrible pain. There are some over-achievers in the recovery world and they are VERY lucky and VERY few. This is a HARD process and can break even the strongest and most positive of people. I had to force myself out of the house at 6 weeks. I am quite certain that you will be far beyond where I was when you hit that landmark. If you read through my thread, it's mostly full of crying and regrets and pain and asking why on earth I did this to myself. Truth be told, I still ask myself that, but just not as often. I hope that you're paying attention to the surgery dates of the people saying that they're shopping and walking and going out. My guess is they are either weeks ahead of you or male. Sorry guys, but I don't think you're as honest as most women when it comes to feeling pain and sadness. You're doing just fine K. Mood swings, depression, pain ... it's all a part of this. You have a great family to support you and I am certain that they understand how hard this is for you and that you're not acting the way you usually do. It's just temporary. I promise! Heck, if I can say it gets better when I never thought it would, then you can believe it. I think you're doing great. It's all a matter of baby steps. Annoyingly tiny ones, but they are there.

I hope you have a better evening. BTW, if your pain is really an 8, I would up your medication (not beyond what the label suggests) or stagger what you're taking so that you're taking something every couple of hours - Oxy, Tylenol, whatever. I'm so sorry you're feeling down. I know how it goes.... ((hugs))
 
Ok, now you are really overdoing it! You need to use your walker. I do believe the others that you are referring to that went out to dinner or lunch or whatever were farther along in their recovery than you are. I had my RTKR one day after you and I sure haven't done anything but ice, elevate, PT, eat and sleep. Not everyone is going out to lunch!!! You are coming along just fine and everyone needs a good cry now and then! Oh, and it is ok to be crabby a little bit - after all YOU are the one who had your bones sawed off and replaced with God knows what and you that have a knee swollen up like a balloon! My hubby started to get a little crabby with me the other day and I just told him what I just told you, and he apologized and made us some cookies. HAHAHA. Also, you are a people person and you aren't allowing people to visit, so you are probably suffering from loneliness too. I hope you get a good night's rest tonight and tomorrow is a better day for you, dear friend.
 
@Karringtyn if you read my early posts they sound like you do now! I am 7 weeks and this is the first week I've been out properly! Today I forgot to elevate and now my whole leg is half as much in size as the unoperated one . And I'm in pain. We have all gone through the stage of regret I wish I'd never had if done etc but you will honestly come through it. Take no notice of half what you read I fact @DogLoverx3 is exactly right in what she has said to you. I went through a terrible stage of feeling inferior compared to others on the site. I ignore it now but fair play to those who recover quick and well but please don't put down slow recoverers like me!!! I just take one day at a time now and know that recovery is an individual process. No two are identical. Take care Nana Moon 27 x
 
:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:thank you ladies. I feel so alone right now in this. I honestly am regretting getting this done.
 
Just look at how you alone are doing in recovery and don't worry about anyone else! It is very early and everyone has a different perspective. I feel like I had a great recovery but I only went out of the house for PT and follow up doctors appointments for almost six weeks. I also think you might need more pain medication. I always took my prescribed dose and spent my days and nights icing! If that isn't working call your OS. You do not have to be in pain. Everyone has a different pain threshold and your medication sounds like it should be adjusted. In 12 weeks you will be surprised at how good you feel! Hang in there!
 
Hi @Karringtyn @Jozilla is right too! Don't regret what you've had done I can honestly say you'll start to feel differently at six to seven weeks. Like I say I cried to my family and friends saying I wish I'd never had it done etc! But what happens is little things...like one day I dropped something on the floor and I bent down to pick it up. I hadn't been able to bend to pick anything up well before my op. It's these little achievements that help us to get through but I can assure you that this is just a phase you are going through. What I found best is to ignore everyone else and focus on you. Recovery is an individual process each as unique as we are from one another. Try not to overdo or push yourself, that is the very worst thing you can do. Just simply take one day at a time and take it easy, be guided by what your body and your knee seems to need. I hope this helps x x x x x
 
Karringtyn, I need to side with the others. You are not a baby! You ask any anesthesiologist or surgeon what the most painful surgeries are and without fail, total knee replacement is ALWAYS in the top 3, usually number one. Sure, I went out to lunch....for 45 minutes! All I wanted to do was get home and ice my leg. This hurts, period. I am bit just talking about the knee and the surgery area, but my entire thigh just throbs, aches and pains. Today, I tried to show my wife how well I was doing and went on a big walk outside. I still use my walker for outside. Guess what? Big f'ing mistake! I came home, iced, elevated, medicated and CPMd to no avail. Surgical recoveries mimic life. There is a bell curve to everything. Some people are pretty, some not so. Most, somewhere in between. Some are smart, some not so, most , in the middle. Surgery recoveries: there are stars that have very little pain and quick turnaround and resumption of their normal activities. Others take much longer. Most, are like just about all of us on BoneSmart, we are somewhere in between. We have good days, bad days, good hours, bad hours. Some nights we sleep, others not at all. It is the beauty of being a human and an individual. All my friends whenever I get down or complain that it hurts, remind me of the goal and that it takes time to get there. They are right. So if you are back waitressing in 6 weeks, or 12, it does not matter that much in the grand scheme of life. I, for one, would love to see you line dancing after putting a giant filet and beer down in front of me, and see you do it with a big old smile on your face!
 
thanks @braindoc my friend. I hope you weren't thinking I was just talking about you and lunch! It's just everything in general!! :( I appreciate your advice and words!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom