Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations!!! On the progress (well, I guess the BM too) ;) I'm glad you're feeling more confident.

I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but once my morphine went away, I had to have it replaced with something else (that still allowed me to go home). Talk to your nurses. That's great if the percocet alone covers your pain, but for me it did not. I'm still, at 8 Weeks needing to take Tramadol most days and before bed. More power to the peeps that don't, but it's what my knee required so don't ever think you're not being a baby and don't worry about getting 'hooked'. They're not that great and when you and your knee is ready, you'll stop. You're far from there yet. Keep up the great work!!
 
It's great that you're going home, Karringtyn! And it sounds like you've got everything under control, which is a huge feat! Be prepared that going home can be very different than your experience at the hospital - I had a great deal of trepidation over the change that it would bring about, as it's a big adjustment. I missed the support system from the hospital and rehab. It even took me a few nights to be able to fall asleep, as I was so used to all the noise in rehab! You'll do fine - Give yourself a day or two to get used to the difference, and try to remain motivated to do your PT at home. I'm at 12 weeks since my bi-lateral knee surgery, and there are things that I still try to get used to! Just remember that it gets so much better if you just hang in there, and maintain a positive attitude! Best of luck to you!
 
There is some comfort in having staff around.
Quite candidly, I didn't do the home PT exercises regularly. I did do the little pedal thing, ankle pumps and heel slides. I did what was easy. I started outpatient PT at 3 weeks. I went back to Pilates (carefully) at 3 weeks. It's an up and down and around recovery, it's mostly good. For right now, just sleep and sleep and putter when you feel like it.
 
I did more walking tonight...I am worn out. BIG time. It's crazy how tired one gets! I have to say the food here is amazing! Everything you order gets made specifically for you and brought up whenever. I haven't had much of an appetite, but I am getting there. I am so tired. Sleeping in hospital is impossible. I am ready to be home in my own big bed. Hubby has been right next to me. He told me today that he is so very proud of me and that he doesn't think he could have done it...lol you do what you need to.
 
@Karringtyn it's so good to hear you're moving along!! I felt horrible reading of your awful pain, no one should have to experience that!! A tip for when you're going home? Have hubby put a pillow in the car for you, then you can rest the foot of your operated leg on it to absorb some of the jolts and such while riding - it helped me a lot!

Definitely, stay on the ice and elevating! Boy, I wish I had your ROM!! You're really starting off well, just don't try cutting your pain meds too soon, and don't try doing too much. Now is the time to rest and let your body heal, and a large part of that is keeping your pain under control.

Every day will get easier, you'll see! And, summer is right around the corner - wow, you're going to have a blast this year!!
 
Tomorrow morning, try to figure out how the going home time fits with the need more meds time. I screwed that up big time.
 
I just went through a bout of pain. The nurse came in and said "we cant up your pain meds, she said we will never be able to send you home if we do"....well they haven't had a wrap on the pain YET. It sucks. Some nurses are SO good and WHEN I TELL THEM to come in at 4 hours they do with the meds....some don't...over night it helps...
 
The things is...I DIDN'T ASK for the meds to be adjusted!!!! I just hurt. I KNOW I have done too much today...heck the BM was enough of a workout for a lifetime. I truly know how much my husband loves me because he stayed in the bathroom with me.:martini: That was what I felt...like I was celebrating!! He probably was like "get me out of here!!:tantrum:"
 
MMMM>> Have you considered requesting to speak with the charge nurse on duty? Another option is to ask to have someone from the hospital administration office come up? The squeaky wheel does get oiled and the administrative office does not like to hear complaints.
Try to get a hold on the charge nurse.
 
I just want to go home. I think I am just a big baby, and I am sure some of the nurses think the same. I am finally resting comfortably...I honestly just think after hearing people say "ah so and so did awesome a week after!" I thought it would be a breeze. Maybe for some, but for me, I am suffering.
 
You're not a baby, you're not a wuss. You stepped up and got your knee fixed. You are Wonder Woman! I think you will feel better when you are home and in charge of your life again. It does hurt--a lot! It isn't a breeze. It is going to get better and you will reclaim your active life. Hugs.
 
Hang in there my friend it will get better. Each person heals and feels pain at different levels and rates. You know yourself better than anyone, do what you feel is right for you, ask for help when you need it, there is no shame in asking, that is what the staff gets paid to do. I was much better when I got home. Stay strong and know you will get through this.
 
thank you. I actually slept last night for a five hour stretch. Yes we can say awesome! But what does that mean? I missed a pain med. Paying for it. I really am ready to give up. I know I am being a cry baby...but this is all too much. I don't want to be here I want to be home. I feel like this huge burden to everyone around me. I don't blame my husband if he is frustrated with me, I am not a person I would like to be around anymore either.
 
Giving up is not an option, I always said I cannot undo what I have done so I must move forward at all cost. My strength comes from many of my fellow veterans who where injured by IEDS and in muchworse shape than me, I use this to inspire myself with a can do attitude, if they can do it I can do it.
 
I'm glad you got some sleep but sorry your pain med situation is still not quite sorted out. Once that happens you may be a bit uncomfortable but not miserable. :console2:
 
If your pain is not being controlled you need to scream, holler, rant, rave, and throw the darnedest hissy fit anyone on the ward has seen - if you're not able to do so, then have hubby!! No, you're not being a baby - like @Billy said, everyone feels pain differently. That certainly doesn't mean you just need to accept it and be in awful pain all the time! And, if the nurses already think you're being a baby, then no harm no foul - right? Now is not the time to worry about appearances or what their opinion is of you. If there's a pain management team at the hospital, take advantage of it. You do NOT want to be discharged without adequate meds, believe me!

Try picking a focal point, keep it, and work towards it. I found if I let myself dwell on the DAILY ups, downs, pains, frustrations that I'd start focusing more on THEM than on the positive changes taking place (that's how some of my really bad days started). I focused on the SMALL things, like being able to dress myself alone (however I accomplished it), stand there and brush my teeth, or even just getting my own coffee - baby steps, sure, but they help track your forward progress and everything adds up. This journey has left me bawling like a baby, SO frustrated I can't begin to explain to hubby - but, you've got no choice except to move forward.

Try not feeling so down, no two recoveries are the same and there's NO reason to be hard on yourself! For goodness sake, look at what you've been through the last few weeks before surgery and in this last week alone! You rock, girl!
 
Aww thanks! I always try to remember there are tons of people that have it worse than me, yet I don't want to diminish how I feel as well. Just talked to doc and they added another med that will help offset during the down hours....I am confident now.

Now waiting for hubby to get out of work at 4.

Sorry for my whining. I will try to stay off here today and focus on positives
.
 
no, don't worry at all about whining! Geez, ya gotta get it out of your system, too! I never thought it was whining to air the negative **** anyway. If you don't, it's just there festering. Whine, cry, vent, do whatever you need to and then move forward. YAY for 4pm!! Is this the countdown for discharge?? :tada:
 
I call it venting, lol, my wife seeems more receptive to this. There were moments that tested my metal, but the will power always seems to pull me through somehow
 
Yes. It's the final countdown. Doc gave hubster the scripts so he can get them on his way back here....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom