THR Ally on the Flip Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you knitting?

Great x-rays :)

Pleased your eye has improved...
 
Allycat yeah, what ARE you knitting? That photo of your eye needed a warning above it... actually one of my kids did that once, so I shouldn't be grossed out. I am glad the dr is not concerned :)
 
Getting rid of the shower stool is great! I'm still using my toilet seat too. When the company phoned me about getting both back last Friday, I asked for another 2 weeks! I think I'll probably ditch the toilet seat after going to work this week.
 
These are what I have finished...
I have almost finished another 2 little cardigans.
[Bonesmart.org] Ally on the Flip Side
 
Beautiful x-ray Allycat! I think it would be fantastic to do an art piece with a bunch of hip images.... if anyone can do it octopus can.

I saw on another thread that you are a bit frustrated being stuck at home.. sorry to hear that. I just wanted to reiterated that yes, healing seems to take forever. I am certain that the year needed for recovery that people talk about is real. I seem to improve in little ways all the time: I can't imagine how I will be in November. I've already forgotten my hip because my knee is a bit problematic. You are right that people don't get it.. you have to explain to them that it will truly be about 3 months before you are up to snuff energy wise and can do most of what you could do before, albeit a little more gingerly. We so want to get up and going quickly (and some really fortunate people can) but we also know there's a need to hold back and take a sensible, long term view. Your job sounds very challenging... is there any way you could try a phased return? Just to see how you get on before you commit to full time?

By the way, I only just got rid of the riser myself. I liked it but it had to go, sniff. I did freak out a few times at first, especially when I got up for a pee in the middle of the night and plonked myself down way too hard on the really low loo seat! But my hip is so solid that it can take the odd clunk. But I own my own seat so I can always drag it out of the basement...
 
is there any way you could try a phased return

I'm planning to start on a Wednesday on my first week back. I'm lucky because we are a half day program. The kids leave at 12.30 and we do programming etc in the afternoons, so if need be I could always leave early for the first couple of weeks. I have an awesome Principal who is really understanding.
 
That's good Ally.. Be on the lookout for energy drain.. Hits most of us. Can you take some ice packs to work?
 
I went to see the wonderful Dr Graham today. Only good things to report. He was very happy with the x-ray. He told me the joint was totally fused and he couldn’t dislocate the hip, so he had to saw off the top of my femur while it was still connected in the joint. I said Ooo that sounds hard, and he just shrugged and said sometimes there are challenges. Mr Cool!! I asked if that’s why I had the screws attaching the cup, because my pelvis was ‘messy’, but no, that’s just the way he does replacements. Everyone gets screws.

He looked at my incision. He was pleased with it, nice and neat. When I commented on how long it is, he said he likes to have a lot of room to work in.

I hopped up on the bed and he checked the length of my legs. My bad leg was maybe a cm or 2 shorter before the op and he has made them even. He moved my leg up and down, then out to the side, movements that were impossible pre-op and are now not only possible, but pain-free!!!

We discussed when revision might be, and how we will know when it’s necessary. Dr Graham is quietly confident it won’t be for 20 years or more.

Then we talked about ole righty (right hip). I have the beginnings of arthritis there and you can see a spur in the x-ray. Dr Graham said to wait until the pain starts, but not to wait too long. (Not like lefty). I am definitely not waiting that long ever again. As soon as I have pain that needs lots of Nurofen, I’ll be back to see him. Not scared at all to do hip no.2. I have to go back to see Dr Graham in 12 months, so we will check how both hips are progressing.

So… the hated stockings are OFF for good. All restrictions are lifted and we changed my going back to work date to 22nd May. Just 9 days earlier than the 3 months, but I’m going crazy at home (broken record, I know).
Feeling pretty fabulous today.

By the way have I said, Dr Graham, I love you.
 
An awesome report Ally! Good news about the socks! Another month off work for you, you'll need to find a project or two to keep you occupied. At least you're driving now and can get out and about, it helps with the cabin fever, doesn't it? :) I wish I could have driven much earlier. I'm pleased to be back at work, it will really save my sanity, even though its not really a very nice place to work. When I am further along in recovery, my next goal is to find another job. In saying that I am really grateful to have a job and have accumulated enough sick and annual leave to cover me comfortably while I've been recovering.
 
Allycat What a great report outstanding. Looks like some more crochet for you until you are able to get back to work. Don't rush it ease into it as it sounds like a challenging job. I like your forum name as I was called that in my younger years.
 
Allycat
Just caught up with your recovery thread. What a fantastic report! Congratulations! I know you must be so happy.
Regarding our 'hippy' recovery aids, I was just telling my husband last night that I actually like my raised toilet seat. I know, I know, most people hate them. Mine doubles as a shower chair and is free standing. I got so used to using the handicap public restrooms pre-op that I started to prefer a taller toilet. And I like the arm rests! Needless to say, he wasn't too keen on keeping it around. :heehee:
 
I went to the beach yesterday!
I didn't quite make it to walking on the sand (next time) because I still use my walking stick when I'm out and about, plus I had my very pregnant daughter with me and she wasn't up to walking too far. But we found a nice spot in the park next to the beach and had hot chips. It was a truly lovely and relaxing day.
[Bonesmart.org] Ally on the Flip Side
I know, I know... do not throw chips!
 
Oh Teacat you made me laugh...
[Bonesmart.org] Ally on the Flip Side


And brought back memories of when I travelled to US and Canada in 1986. Lots of misunderstandings, but one that comes to mind is - I was sharing a house with 3 Canadians. I had been shopping to make my room more homey. I said to my housemates, my room looks nice, I bought some pot plants. Their eyes widened! They said WHAT! let us see. We all trooped to my room. When they saw my plants they said Ahh you mean POTTED plants. They thought I had marijuana! LOL.
 
Allycat
LOL! :rotfl: I would have thought the same thing as your roommates! So hot chips are fries or fried potatoes? I'm friends with one of the mom's from my son's preschool class and she is from Australia. We often talk while we are watching the kids on the playground and every now and then she will say something that I have to question or I do a double take. Like, for example, the saying 'knock on wood' when you don't want something to come true and she says 'touch wood'. It's usually just small sayings that make me stop and think 'did I hear her right'? We both have a good laugh about it.
 
Too funny. I was working at the Expo 1986, in the souvenier shop. I would often come home and tell my flatmates about the sloppy joes we sold. Some had the Australian flag, some had kangaroos on them etc etc. After about 2 weeks, one of my flatmates said.. uhh what's a sloppy joe? I had to explain that it was this...
[Bonesmart.org] Ally on the Flip Side


and not this...
[Bonesmart.org] Ally on the Flip Side
Hahahahahahahhahhahahahhaahha
 
[Bonesmart.org] Ally on the Flip Side ...

Aussies have a special kind of humor, don't we Allycat?

So pleased you had a nice day out at the beach, was that Bondi?
 
Hi Allycat. What a great visit to your os. You dident. Tell us what happened after you told him you loved him?.....by the way you knitted items are so cute. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom