THR Ally on the Flip Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that made me laugh re your mum seeing you naked! My dad (age 75) came to stay with me for the first few days but there was NO WAY he was seeing me naked or helping me into my undies! I stripped in my bedroom then went to the bathroom with a towel around me. He turned on the taps, and I was able to get myself into the shower. I had a chair to sit on so all good. Just did the reverse on the way out. I picked up a few of the 'grabbers' from the $2 shop and I am really good at using them to help me get dressed.
I have googled 'wearing compression stockings in the shower' and apparently you can. But I must admit I like to take them off for a couple of hours each day, and usually shower then.
How come you don't have to wear them I wonder???? Are you injecting the anti clotting medicine? I am doing that as well as wearing the stockings. I don't want to come this far only to get a blood clot and wind up back in hospital.
 
Allycat,

What days are you going to be without visits?

What type of tasks is your friend doing, that you can't do? One of the resident smart people on the forums might just figure out a way for you to do some tough tasks.

Are you able to get out of your home and walk around your area?

I can only imagine how thinking about the second surgery could be worrisome. I think it's also possible that once your hip has recovered, it will be more like I have been through one hip, I know what's happening, and I can do it one more time. Maybe even use this surgery to take notes about how you could prepare differently than this time, perhaps so it's easier and less worrisome. I know a few changes in my pre-surgery preps that I would handle differently. Have you thought of anything you would change when you prepare for your next surgery? I like the idea of having surgery when the weather is a bit cooler, since I, like a PC, melt when it's hot outside. I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago, and didn't closely track when I took my pain meds. That lead me to a couple of times when I may have take meds more often than I should have. This time, I wrote down the meds EVERY time I took them, and felt much better. What can you change to make it easier next time?

Jeff
 
I don't know why I don't have to wear the stockings. I'll be asking when I catch up with the surgeon in another three weeks, or even at my physio appt. I am on a blood thinner, one pill once a day.
 
LimpFreeMe when I say things I can’t do, I guess I mean I could do them, they are just difficult. For example, vacuuming, sweeping, hanging clothes on the line.
I have had some good news about the weekend. My son, who lives with me, was planning to be away, but those plans have changed and now he is staying home. That makes me happier.
I totally agree with you about being smarter when planning the second surgery. I like your idea about making notes. I have a memory like a sieve. I certainly won’t be waiting as long as I did for this one!
octopus, I wish I was just taking a tablet, that's for sure.
 
In soooo glad I don't have to do the injections. Good news about your son being home for the weekend. :)
 
How's your Easter weekend started off? Although it seems just like any other day to me, without work balancing the excitement of a long weekend. And no hot cross buns or chocolate Easter eggs. I neglected to get some on my last visit to the shops. What was i thinking??? Today I went for a walk with only one crutch. The grabbers are great aren't they? I have one borrowed from my mum and I bought one as well. My one has a much longer handle which is great. I suspect I will be using it long after the restrictions are lifted. :heehee:
 
Hi Allycat

Did your OS give you the restriction of sleeping on your back for the first six weeks? This is normally the case in OZ. Painful I know and very difficult to get much sleep. I was not allowed to sleep on my un-operated side even with a pillow until the end of the restriction period.

You are at such early weeks to be doing heavy chores, is there no way you can get some assistance?

My OS indicated to me in hospital that because I was on blood thinning injections for six weeks, he wasn't too fussed about me wearing the TEDS.. However, each surgeon has their own protocol..

Hope your son is able to help this weekend and give you an Easter treat ;)
 
Poppet, I was not given any sleeping restrictions, and I was advised by the physiotherapist and the nurses that I could go on my unoperated side with the pillow. I do spend most of the night on my back though, maybe on the side for 1/2 - 1 hr.
I had the anti clotting injections for 21 days, the stockings are for 6 weeks.
Like you say, everyone seems to be doing something different as per their surgeon. I find it quite interesting.
 
octopus, I had a quiet day today. It was much cooler so I actually had a nice nap. My daughter and her boyfriend are coming over tomorrow so I am making potato salad now to go with the BBQ. I did remember hot cross buns, but no chocolate here. I suspect I have put on some weight since my op and I need to be going the other way. I intend to take care of my new hip so being overweight is no longer an option!
Hope your weekend is going well.
 
Happy Easter Everyone!
I had a good day yesterday. A small BBQ with family and friends. It was nice to socialise.
I moved forward a bit yesterday too.
When I was outside, I used my walking stick to get around. But inside, well, I found that I was forgetting my stick more and more. By the end of the evening, I was just getting up out of the chair and walking around almost like normal! My son said "Well look at you, walking around". And everyone agreed I was getting more confident.
I'm starting to think it won't be long now and "goodbye walking stick".
The other night I had a dream that I was walking down a flight of stairs, one foot after the other, not holding onto anything! I can't wait til that is a reality.
Right now I am so so happy :happydance:
 
Allycat Happy Easter for you too :) You sound fabulous, and I hope it will be "goodbye walking stick" very very soon!!!! What do you put on the barbie? (See i can even talk Australian!!! Here in the Southern States, barbecue is a noun:food that has been barbecued, or a verb:what you do to the food!, but what you cook out on is a grill LOL)
 
zauberflöte,
We had lamb loin chops, chicken kebabs and good old trusty sausages. The lamb was delicious! I made potato salad, Caesar salad and we had store bought pasta salad. Yum!
 
It is funny how we have different instructions. I was told only to take one aspirin a day to reduce chances of blood clots. I had the dreaded stockings, but removed them after a couple of days. I wasn't supposed to, but they were so uncomfortable and off they went.

I plan to have my other hip replaced when the weather is hot, not cold -- another difference. I'm hating the cold and am so sick of being cold -- using ice in the cold weather sounds like my idea of Hades. Besides, when it's hot outside, I don't want to do anything anyway, so may as well be laid up. Hopefully by the time fall arrives and the lovely cool days come, I'll be able to take walks again. This past fall, I missed that terribly. By the time I was ready for walks, it was too cold.

One thing I would do the next time is have a hobby lined up. I was about to go mad with boredom. TV was rotting my brain, I could not concentrate well enough to read a book and couldn't sleep all the time, so I plan to have a needlework project ready to go. Other than that, I think I'd do pretty much the same. Now all I have to do is get the surgeon to schedule me to do the right hip when I want to!
 
Allycat a veritable feast!!!!! Sounds scrumptious :licks lips and drools:
Cookie42 hobby, eh? Hmmmmm my hands are destroyed by a lifetime of flute playing, so needlework is out of the question. Hmmmmmmm again. I have 7 1/2 weeks to come up with something-- that really is good advice, thank you!! :)
 
Cookie42, @zauberflöte,
I agree with the hobby. I decided I was going to take up knitting. Something I haven't had the time to do for years. I bought the wool, picked out the patterns... but it is too hot here. I find it difficult to knit while I am sweltering from the heat! (Although today is a bit cooler, so hopefully the hot weather is on the way out)
I have been doing the odd jigsaw puzzle - online - to stave off the boredom.
 
Allycat Cookie42 so.... me thinking I'm going to get caught up on all my SF magazines? Not going to happen? If I can sit, I can play my flute, tho. rockymountainjayne hopes to learn some new rep on her piano-- I've just ordered $90 worth of music I've never played, and can learn it for future performance-- how's that? Playing does, however, take a lot of energy and stamina...online jigsaw puzzles beginning to look pretty good... :loll:
 
So after having 2 good days walking about the house unaided... I have just crawled into bed with my incision twinging and throbbing. :cry: I have taken all my pain meds plus an endone. I have just done too much I suppose.
 
Hi...I also did not have compression stockings apparently the benefit is not very apparent
I was given 35 days of blood thinning pills
 
So after having 2 good days walking about the house unaided... I have just crawled into bed with my incision twinging and throbbing. :cry: I have taken all my pain meds plus an endone. I have just done too much I suppose.
Oh Ally, I hope you feel better this morning, take it easy and rest up today, and plenty of icing.
 
Hi Allycat,.......:(........rest up you will be OK...
Get the ice and more ice...when you are better...pace yourself and you will be great again......thinking of you :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom