Revision THR AJ’s LHS THR

I was also obsessed with possibility of dislocation so probably more cautious than I needed to be but I turned out ok in any case.
I remember first time Layla sent me that graphic. Put it all into perspective. I had a friend that had hip replacement & she was telling me at 6 weeks I shouldn't be still on a walker. Well I was. And up until 5th month using a cane. It is what it is. And it never bothered me to use either of the assistive devices. Was I happy when I could walk freely, of course I was but trying to rush through recovery isn't the answer. Took me 70 years to listen to my body. My body says rest, I rest.
 
Just wondering roughly how long until I could expect to walk without an aid, and with an even gait. Various medical sites suggest 4-6 weeks which I think is absolute nonsense. I’ll be 9 weeks in a few days and, while I’m doing well, no way can I do without my stick. Sure, I can do several steps unaided, but they take an awful lot of focus to prepare my muscles for the weight.

On another note, I’ve been loving my time in the hydro pool. Walking backwards, forwards and sideways. A few rounds of underwater bicycle kicks, too. Last week, I hopped into the big pool and am now doing 200 metres with a mix of freestyle and hybrid freestyle/breaststroke. I feel great when I get out!
 
If you want to really amuse yourself, hop on over to Reddit and read some of the ridiculous claims from people that 3 days after a total hip replacement they were walking - with zero assistance and with zero pain.
 
Just wondering roughly how long until I could expect to walk without an aid
Do you feel you’re regaining strength and balance and the ability to walk confidently without falling? Are you able to walk without limping…or pain?
Once you’re feeling confident in these areas, strength, balance, stability, you may try weaning off of the assistive device (sticks) I found it helpful to walk along side a kitchen counter where I could practice with something to grab if necessary. Wondering if you’ve tried this? When ready and feeling safe, try something like this gradually and see how you do. You can have someone walk alongside you also.

Happy Two Month Anniversary! Many blessings to you in the New Year!
@AntJ
 
Thanks Layla. I have small markers that indicate progress. I can lift my leg into the car, unaided, now. Same with getting into bed. I can go down stairs unaided, without a limp. If it’s flat, I can take a handful of very slow, very careful, considered steps unaided. I still have pain, mainly up near where my left side glute meets my lower back, and also my knee. Uphill is the most difficult and painful and I can only do with a stick.

I can stand still and stand on one leg, but it takes a lot of focus.

That’s where I’m at just now.
 
I think competitive recovery is bad news for everyone. We are all different. I am at almost nine weeks and can move around the house, up and down stairs etc. without any walking aids. After the first few steps I seem to adjust to not limping. Since visiting family I have had a normal toilet seat and will be dispensing with bathroom aids when I get home. Getting up from different chairs has been fine. However, on my feet for too long and I get some swelling. Walking a lot this morning and towards the end, I realised I was limping even with a stick. I am learning to walk again and really think about heel to toe movement. My skeletal adjustment means I get back ache if standing for too long. I know this will get better but the worst thing I could do is try to rush it or compare my recovery to others.

just keep working at your own pace.
 
Agreed! Competitive recovery is terrible!! We are all different! And if u think about it-just as different medication works differently, so does recovery. I struggled with the stairs well beyond 9 weeks. And at 16 weeks I still get swelling, if I have done too much. So it is definitely not apples to apples here. Fantastic orthopedic miracles ate simply not true & so discouraging to read. Just remember not everything you read on the internet is true!!
 
AntJ,
New hips hate going up hills. There's no rush to get rid of assistive devices. This recovery is longer than most of us expected & we all recover at different rates.
 
You're definitely making progress. You're still in the early stages of the healing process. Walking uphill will become easier as your muscles strengthen and your gait settles into "normal". Your confidence will increase with time also. With effort and lots of patience you will continue to enjoy progress over the coming months.
Cheers to your new hip and the New Year! :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
@AntJ
 
I don’t think of it so much as being competition, more about comparisons in seeking to gain insights into a brand new experience. That said, I do understand that comparisons can be misleading.

I’m curious about what affect the underlying cause has on the overall outcome.

I have friend who also had a THR by the same surgeon, using the same approach, about six weeks before me. His scar is much smaller and his recovery was faster. I’m not sure what his underlying cause was but mine was hip dysplasia.

Is what the surgeons do “under the hood” determined by the root cause of the problem?
 
@AntJ -i have no idea on this. I am very pleased with my scar & my surgeon. I haven’t really been too concerned with my scar-I just wanted it healed correctly. Now come time to wear shorts I maybe thinking differently, idk this recovery has been so hard on me, I’m thinking I’ll remember it forever & just be grateful I can WALK & I’m alive. I know many others have had problems, so I want to think I’ll just remain blessed & thankful I made it through to the other side.
Happy 2025!!!
 
I’m not worried about my scar, just curious about the difference. What are the reasons behind the difference?

From my layman’s perspective, I would’ve thought that, no matter the underlying cause, the process is to simply, and forgive my over-simplification, cut the head off the bone and whack in a spike with a ball on it. Clearly it’s not, because of the variety of post-surgical experiences.
 
Is what the surgeons do “under the hood” determined by the root cause of the problem?
Absolutely! Every body is different, so every replacement surgery is different. While our basic anatomy is similar, the surgeon won't know exactly what he is dealing with until he gets in there. That's why it is so important to find someone who has done hundreds of replacements because it increases the likelihood that he/she will have seen something like your condition before.
 
Ant,
As each recovery is different, each surgery starts the same but possibly the patient has an underlying issue which makes it more difficult to get to the femoral head to remove it. That's the real fun part of the surgery & my son in law is an operating room assistant & says they have drills, hammers & saws on surgical supply table. Probably best I knew nothing of any of it when I had mine replaced!
In any case my scar shrunk down to nothing & probably can be noticed when I'm in a bathing suit (which isn't often). As far as shorts & other clothing it's unnoticeable.
If you are up for it there are videos of hip replacements...warning...I couldn't finish watching!
It's pretty amazing though what your body endures & you can actually get up within a few hours & walk with a walker. That's the miraculous part for sure.
 
Same surgeon did both of mine, scars looked similar, recovery was different for both. My left had known complications going is with hardware removal, you would think that I would have had more problems. It didn't work out that way I was able to do most anything the day I left the hospital. My right was a slam dunk compared to my left and yet I had log leg and it took a long time before I could tie my shoes.
 
I’m getting so down about how my progress seems to have ground to a halt. My surgery was eleven weeks ago and I still can’t walk unaided. I have pain and stiffness through my thigh and knee and glutes. At nearly three months, having gone into this fit and healthy, having done weeks of prehab, and plenty of rehab, surely I should be off aids? I haven’t made any progress in the last two weeks.

Sorry to whinge, but really starting to affect me mentally.
 
Eleven weeks is still early days in this year-long recovery, @AntJ, so there is still lots of room for recovery. In fact, it takes ligaments and tendons at least 12 weeks to heal from the trauma of surgery.

You say you did "plenty of rehab", and I'm wondering if perhaps you overdid it or did too much too soon? My surgeon says the only rehab needed for recovery from a THR is walking -- and even then, not to excess.

Perhaps back off the exercise for a week and give that poor hip a chance to heal.
 
Thanks @benne68. I’m on holiday with family and friends and, on reflection, realised that I probably way over did it yesterday. It went to the lagoon, where the tide was running in, and walked against the incoming water. The sandy bottom was uneven and unstable. It felt like a good challenge and a good replacement for the hydro pool work I’ve been doing back home, but it was way too much.

It’s so beautiful down here, on the south coast of NSW. Champagne waters and long white beaches. We come here every year with five other families. I surf a few times each day and, in between, muck about with the kids in the lagoon. It’s difficult not being able to engage with any of it this year. I do, however, have a good book!
 
Enjoy your holiday, @AntJ, but try to slow things down a bit. Walking on sand and in the ocean demand a lot from our recovering bodies, so it does sound like you over did things. Maybe find a comfy spot on the beach and stick with the book for a few days!

:wink:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom