Revision THR AJ’s LHS THR

Hi AntJ,
I am sorry to read that you need to have your THR revised.
Hopefully experiencing THR takes away some of the mystery and you have a smooth recovery post revision.
I wish you only the best!

I've added it to your signature, but if it's wrong we will edit it. Will you please verify a date of February 11th?
We're thankful you're a part of the community. We are shifting to a subscription model and encouraging members to take their experience here to the next level. We appreciate and value your support as part of this community. For an enhanced experience as you're healing from your revision, we'd like to encourage you to join the Insiders Club which allows special perks above the basics, making the most of what BoneSmart has to offer.

Here is a link to check out basic membership vs Insider Club membership -> Become an Insider
@AntJ
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Layla, Feb 11 is correct.

And also thanks for the offer to join the Insiders Club, but I’ll pass this time.
 
Had surgery yesterday. All seems to have gone well. My surgeon used a Trinity Plus cup this time, as it promotes better osseointergration. Been up and about but have to be careful with only 50% weight bearing on the operated leg.
 
Congratulations AntJ!
Welcome to the other side.
Must be a relief for you.
 
Yes, but I’m going to be so cautious. I don’t want to risk anything going wrong again!
 
Hi AntJ,
Hope each week brings less pain and more strength. You've been through a lot, but brighter days are ahead.
Take your time, get plenty of rest and don't forget your friend -> :ice:for pain and swelling.
Wishing you all the best as you heal!
@AntJ
 
Hi AntJ,
I hope you're healing well and making progress in your revision recovery. If you have the time, please leave an update, we'd love to know how you're doing.
Take good care!
@AntJ
 
Hi Layla,

Funny, I was just thinking about an update yesterday, but I thought I'd wait a week until my next x-ray.

Not a lot to report. I've been doing my exercises, including walking, diligently. RoM has increased dramatically and muscle strength is returning. Glutes are actually responding this time! I did 3 weeks of a 50% weight bearing limit until my surgeon told me to drop one crutch. I'll see him in a week for further assessment including the x-ray.

This has been a very different experience, like it's supposed to feel, I imagine. Pretty much no pain this time. Although, I can probably attribute the fast progress and lack of pain to having only had the cup revised, not the stem. And all of the rehab I did after the first operation became prehab for the second, so that has helped.

Four weeks out from surgery, my leg still feels weak, but I hope to start strengthening exercises within the next fortnight. I remain anxious at any strange new feeling, but I put most of them down to muscles and tendons doing their thing.

Thanks for checking in.
 
Thanks for the update! It sounds like you're doing well. I understand your apprehension with any / all strange sensations because we naturally question a lot during recovery and I imagine after a revision you want the reassurance that all will be well this time. It certainly sounds like you are moving forward day by day. Trust the process, lean on your support system (and us) and celebrate every bit of progress. Brighter days are ahead. Let us know how your x-ray goes next week.
Best Wishes! :)
@AntJ
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope all is going well and I wish you a wonderful weekend! :SUNsmile:
@AntJ
 
Hi Layla. I just logged on to give an update and saw your message!

Just passed the 8 week mark and still going well. Last Tuesday, the physio cleared me to ride my bike and, each day since, I've done a 20 minute ride around the river near us. After 5 long months, I cannot describe how happy that small piece of freedom made me. Just the feeling of the wind blowing through my (sparse) hair was sublime.

I'm still on a walking stick, but the touch becomes lighter and lighter. The stiffness remains and fluctuates, depending on what I'm doing. I had a band rehearsal last night and I think that's the reason for feeling so much stiffness today. That said, very little, if any, pain.

I've even being experimenting with doing pop-ups (that's the leap from the prone position to crouching before standing on a surfboard). At 8 weeks, it's optimistic to expect to be able to achieve it, but I can get about halfway, which is encouraging.

I asked my physio directly, "How do you think I'm going?" And he said, Fantastic, especially for a revision. In fact, really good for a first time around. That was also very encouraging.

Funny thing is, the closer I get to returning to some semblance of normality, the more impatient I become.
 
You are doing fantastic! Love your enthusiasm and gratitude in the ability to engage in activity that became too difficult pre-op. Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work and enjoy the bike rides! :) :bicycle1:
@AntJ
 
Hi everyone, I hope you're all going well. Here's a quick update...

Strength seems okay, RoM still seems on track, but I've developed mild discomfort due to an increase in stiffness over the last week. Trying to think what I might have been doing to cause it... crouching down while operating a router in my shed? Possible, but it should've died back down, by now. I've been cycling, but I've been doing that for about 3 weeks, so I doubt that that's the cause.

The one thing I'm always on the look out for is a catching when I stand up. This happened first time around, after the cup came loose, and was the cup settling into position each time I stood up. It's not doing that, so I take some comfort from that.

Seeing my physio tomorrow morning, and I hope to get some insights from him.
 
Good luck with appt. I think you are doing fabulous but might be overdoing a bit. I’m sure you’ve heard this can be a longer recovery than expected. Not saying you need to be in bed but ice & rest a day & see if that helps.
Hardest thing we learn in recovery is patience.
I wish you the best.
 
My vote is for the crouching down. We're all different but bending over is a real trigger for me. I've even noted that I can trigger things if I try to do an activity sat in a chair. I think it's the twisting you don't really realise you are doing. Another thing is to lift something that's just a bit too heavy. All of the above brings on additional swelling and then a day of extra stiffness.

You certainly seem to understand the need to be thoughtful about your activity. I think you'll sort it out :). Rest and ice are the best solution. Sometimes you need a little reset to calm things down. That's the story that often jumps out from the threads.
 
Last edited:
Thanks @myglasshalffull and @Deni444.

My physio assured me that there is no cause for concern, and that's the main thing. The external rotator muscles are very weak, likely, he believes, due to the length of time - 6 months - since the first surgery, so he gave me some new exercises. My wife walked into the bedroom to find me, lying face down, a theraband around my ankle, stretched halfway across the room and anchored to the leg of a bookcase, and cried, "What fresh hell is this?" My various exercises provide great amusement for my family.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a description! :heehee: I hope this crazy sounding bondage routine does you some good.
I can only imagine the look on your wife's face! Was she scanning the room for the perpetrator?
Haha...this is a classic, AntJ.
@AntJ
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, AntJ!
I hope you doing well and having a great Spring so far. Happy Sunday!
@AntJ
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom