TKR Abdominal muscle pain

Thank you Layla. I am so ready to get Righty done and I am determined to do my best to have the excellent results and recovery I had with Lefty! My granddaughters are cheering me on and are making big plans for when I can finally get back to normal motoring around. I appreciate all the support and prayers.

Tomorrow is your big day, Whoodee!
Soon you'll be home healing and on your way to enjoying the fun times your granddaughters are looking forward to. Prayers for peace, an uneventful surgery and easy peasy recovery. Hope to see you on the bright side soon!
@Whoodee

Once again, prayers were answered. Had righty done around Noon and got home around five thirty. Everything went well and I’m looking forward to rehab at home and getting my life back. God is good!

Yay! Now, both of them are behind you. You already know what to do. Have a good night's sleep.

Here’s a refresher course for you:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Glad to read you're home, feeling positive and doing well, Whoodee. Yes, I agree, God is good!
Wishing you lots of comfort. :friends:
@Whoodee

I’m beginning to think my left TKR on October 19 was the exception to recovery. I did so well so quickly but with righty done a week ago today, not so much. I still wake up with pain and discomfort at night and I can’t get the swelling to budge. I know all knees are different but I am so disappointed in myself. I will try to be patient and let my knee do its thing. This forum definitely helps keep me advised.

@Whoodee I agree, your first TKR was definitely the exception. Please don't be so hard on yourself. You are only days out of major surgery! Patience prescribed in large doses.

How long are your icing sessions. Ice for 45-60 minutes per session. And no forcing the knee. It needs lots of TLC right now.

Consider this also, Whoodee, you're not even five months post op from your first surgery. That's two major surgeries within less than four months. It is understandable it's a disappointment when your second recovery feels
more difficult than your first, but you know the mantra...No two recoveries are alike, even with the same person. So try to take comfort in that. Your body has been through a lot in a short period of time, but you know you'll get there...and times will be sweet! :happydance: Give yourself lots of TLC. Happy Monday!
@Whoodee

Thank you Jaycey and Layla. You reminded me of what I needed to realize. I am icing and elevating an hour at a time. I’m wondering if I should be walking around more than I currently do because it does seem I spend most of my time in the recliner icing and elevating. I’m not sure how to even things out.

Staples out and was not as painful as first knee. Have graduated from walker to cane and hopefully soon to no assistive device. Feeling very blessed.

All positive news, Whoodee! Woohoo :yay: You're moving right along.
Thanks for the update...a great rest of the week to you!
@Whoodee

Thank you Layla. Funny thing is, I didn’t realize how much more draining moving around with a cane would be after using a walker for over a week. Hopefully it will get better each day until I don’t need it at all.

Another good session with in home pt. Did stairs with no problem. He is just the best; so positive and encouraging. I’ll be sorry when he cuts me loose next week but I know what to do on my own and will not be going to any outpatient pt. I plan to do as well with this one as I did with lefty. Gotta be ready to watch my granddaughters play softball! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I plan to do as well with this one as I did with lefty.
Great attitude, Whoodee! Glad you had a good therapy session. It certainly helps to love your PT.
Best Wishes you're feeling like a new woman by softball season! :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back