Guest viewing is limited

TKR Abdominal muscle pain

I have been told that drinking a lot of water will help knee swelling go down. Does anyone know if this actually helps! I feel I could do so much more if I didn’t have the swelling.
 
Drinking water is good for you, but I've never heard that it aids in reducing swelling. You are only a few weeks out and you will probably have swelling for another 4-6 months. It's a normal part of the recovery. Icing and elevating as much as you can will help with that swelling. Be sure and reread the articles on icing and elevating.
 
Online info in regard to hydration post surgery -
It is absolutely essential to stay fully hydrated post-surgery. This is done to avoid potential surgical complications, including vein thrombosis, which is a clot that is built up in the major veins of the thighs and legs. The patient can also suffer from pulmonary embolism.

After the surgery your immune system is extremely weak, thus increasing the chances of an infection. Water helps keep these infections away and acts as a catalyst to your recovery. Furthermore, water helps your body get rid of toxins from the anesthesia. So drinking water post-surgery can be very helpful in all aspects of recovery.

In regard to swelling -
When your body is not hydrated enough, it holds onto the fluid it already has to make up for the lack of incoming water, thus contributing to swelling. Additionally, drinking more water help improves your kidney function. You can also eat vegetables and fresh fruits to increase fluids in your body.
 
Surgery was two weeks ago today and had my last in home therapy visit. Flexion at 95 and extension at 0. I will continued prescribed exercises on my own and hope to improve each day. Looking forward to being able to function normally again.
 
Flexion at 95 and extension at 0. I will continued prescribed exercises on my own and hope to improve each day.
That is way past normal at 2 weeks out! With those numbers you don't have to worry about doing exercises, just use your knee naturally and it will continue to heal. As it heals those numbers will get even better!
 
My two new knees today. Had good report from P A today and he found and removed a staple missed by home health nurse. He couldn’t believe my progress already and was surprised to see me with cane and no walker. He discharged me and is fine with no out patient pt and says I can return to gym. As always, God is good!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Abdominal muscle pain
    12AB842B-64F5-44A5-8EA7-583D2EBD6D20.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 73
Well look at that...two new knees! I'll bet you're happy the PA found that staple and removed it.
Sounds like you're doing really well and your recovery is going smoothly. Keep up the good work, Whoodee!

I moved the above post from another thread because I think you'll appreciate it being here to reflect back upon at a later date. A great rest of the week to you!
@Whoodee
 
Yay, what a good post! You are right...God is good!
 
Just checking in with progress report. Today marks three weeks since righty done and I think I’m doing pretty well. Going around house without any assistive device and want to out in public but a little nervous of doing that yet. Hubs drove me to get a much needed haircut this morning. Am anxious to start driving myself and hope to do so soon. Happy spring everyone!
 
Anyone have any tips to help eliminate this limp. I limped so long with right knee before getting replaced and now I’m eager to start walking normally. I’m almost four weeks out now and knee is feeling pretty good with most of the swelling gone. I drove for the first time yesterday! Thanks for any advice.
 
My limp disappeared naturally after my leg was straightened and the swelling went down.
The only tips I would suggest are the heel/ toe walking advised here and not worrying about using a stick/ crutch. It is better to walk properly with some assistance than badly without.
 
I limped for over 25 years before my tkr. If I'm extra tired, I find myself dropping back into that habit, and that's all it is, a habit. My knee feels great most of the time!

I suggest you really concentrate on walking with the heel to toes stride. This will help you to build up this better stride to overcome that limp.
 
If you still have some PT visits left, PTs are usuallly really good at fixing these kinds of problems. Some things are hard to spot and fix yourself.
 
Somewhere on the site, there is a diagram on how to concentrate on your gait to help with the limp. It really helped me, and I still need to think about the steps I take and concentrate on the heel to toe stride rather than clunking down flat footed. I'll look to see if I can find it.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Whoodee!

Here is a visual of heel-toe walking. Takes concentration, but it works!
[Bonesmart.org] Abdominal muscle pain


@Whoodee
 
Just got back from my seven week check up on right knee. P A was amazed at how well my knee has done and was impressed I’d done it on my own, not going to out patient pt. He thought my knee perfect but cautioned me it is still healing and not to overdo it. He also mentioned about being careful of balance as brain is trying to adjust to two artificial knees. He really had nothing to say to improve on them. Very thankful for two successful TKRs and quick recovery and return to normal activities.
 
Hi Whoodee!
Great seven week check up. I'll bet that made you happy.
Wishing you a Happy Two Month Anniversary! Enjoy the weekend!
@Whoodee
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom