Guest viewing is limited

THR A Bionic Octopus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Firebrand, I can't believe how I crash and burned today. I'm terrible at asking for help too. I've decided I'm going to make a list of things I need help with and see if any of my family can help. My flatmate has already offered to help with my tax and phone the local council about another issue. Thanks for your support. :)
 
octopus, I think we all crash and burn at one point or another. This is really really stressful, and the medication changes, activity changes and healing process take a toll on your body and your head. I hope today is a better day for you.
 
octopus, I still have blue days. I find that I have a day when I feel great, almost normal and tackle housework, washing and shopping. Then the next day I am wiped out, tired and sore, which makes me feel sad.
On the plus side - I drove my car today!! I had my left hip done, so I figured as long as I could get into the driver's seat I would be right. I thought it might feel funny after so long, but nope, just like riding a bike.
One more step towards normal life...
 
octopus I am so sorry to read that you are feeling low and overwhelmed by your return to normal life I am sure these feelings are normal as the idea of all those tasks and responsibilities must be daunting We have been cocooned in our own little world just focusing on our hips for weeks and this becomes our comfort zone so when we have to move away from that we are bound to feel stressed and overwhelmed.It is still early days so take one day at a time and one new task at a time and above all be kind to yourself and don't put pressure on yourself. You have done remarkably well in your recovery and deserve a big pat on the hip.Thinking of you
 
Thanks so much for your support & encouragement BarbaraR, Allycat & Kim22. I don't know what I would have done without all the lovely people here on Bonesmart, & all the knowledge and information. I told my physio about Bonesmart and he was really interested and is going to take a look. I hope he remembers and then recommends it to his other patients. I have found that here in the public hospital system there is very little information given, so if you don't know what questions to ask, it can be a bit like walking in the dark. Thankfully that hasn't been me.
 
octopus I've just caught up with your thread-- I'm sorry you've been feeling awful and low. I have no hip experience of this, but I do remember another surgery where I'd have alternating good and bad days. Smaller surgery but longer, so more general anaesthesia, and what did I know? I put any variation in mood to the general. This too shall pass... :)
 
zauberflöte, yes I just have to remind myself to go with the flow, things will change shortly. Feeling much better today, just a bit nervous.
 
Diane, I remember feeling sort of uneasy at times, you wonder if things will ever feel 'normal' or comfortable again. Simple stuff just seemed beyond me. Trust me, your mojo will soon be working again. Congratulations on taking a big step and asking for help. Everyone wants to do something for you but they don't want to upset you or make you feel helpless. Me, I loved feeling helpless and watching others run around after me. (Well, not at first but I got used to it, thank you very much, and now that I'm 'fixed' I gotta say, I miss being special.)
 
I agree with Firebrand , you are kind of insulated in the cocoon of your house and it's just not normal. I found I was watching a TV drama and crying if something sad happened. This is so not me. The transition from recovery top real life is a challenge. We are still not strong enough to do everything we want and when we try we get so darned tired. When I was home laying on the couch, watching TV, I began to focus and obsess about such silly stuff. For my own sanity, I started calling friends and my sister to talk. These conversations (especially the sister-talk) helped me so much. Everyone wants you to be 100% and it becomes exhausting to explain why this is not so.
 
Thanks Vida & designergirl. :) I felt guilty & uncomfortable at first having people do things for me all the time. Since I've been at home, my flatmate has taken me to doctors & physio appts, to the shops, to parks & beaches to go walking. I felt bad that she was taking me everywhere but she said it makes her feel good to be able to help someone. So we are helping others while they are helping us! Isn't that cool? Yes Vicki, I enjoyed feeling helpless too, it was nice to have some "I'm special" time. My sanity saver is getting out of the house everyday, and watching lots of tv to keep my mind off things.

Oh, and today I graduated to no shower stool!
 
Oh, and today I graduated to no shower stool!.... good for you Kiwi, another milestone achieved :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] A Bionic Octopus!
Another milestone passed. Congrats!!! Getting more and more independent every day.
 
Good morning Kiwi... (Sat) .. Don't know about you, but my body clock will not reset from the change over with daylight saving.. and I so wanted to sleep in :(

How is your weather octopus?

We are having the last teasing few days of warm weather before Anzac Day which usually brings with it, freezing cold winds and rain.. I think every year, it happens this way to remind me what our Anzac boys suffered through... tough lads

Hugs from across the ditch xxx
 
Hi Poppet, the weather is still amazing. A bit cooler, but most days are blue skies and sunny. I think today is the same, I haven't gotten up yet, but really need to as my body is starting to get sore from too much time in bed.

I can't remember if I went last year, but the previous two years I went to Anzac services at one of our west Auckland beaches. It was really nice to combine a visit to the beach with a service, it was also at 2pm & sunny, and not six am & dark, but moving all the same.

Must get up, a friend is picking me up to go out this morning. I'm finding I need to go out everyday now, otherwise I get a bit glum. I guess it's time to join the real world. :happydance:
 
Yes cabin fever gets to all of us.. You go girl.. Get out there and smell the roses.. Have a great day :)
 
I know what you mean about needing to go out every day. Since I started driving again on Wednesday I have been out every day, and going out again today to a baby shower.
Great news about the shower stool! I still have my chair in the shower, I use the arms to get in and out, and sit down for half the time. I might ditch it next week so that will just leave the toilet thingy (which I quite like). The stupid thing is I have used other toilets (at shops, friend's houses) so I guess I don't really need it.
I have a beautiful sunny day coming too.
Have a good one!
Ally
 
Allycat and octopus... Sunny days all around in our part of the world.. 6:43 am and I am about to go for an early morning Nordic Walk...

Time to wake up all the neighborhood dogs, haha!

Have a great day ladies :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom