Guest viewing is limited

THR A Bionic Octopus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi octopus! Glad your surgeon was able to squeeze you in, if a bit early. Sounds like you are doing really well. Now that I am back home, we have been having crazy storms coming through with lots of rain and wind, so no hikes for me right now, but maybe next weekend. Take care of your toe. My mom has had some silly infection on her little toe going on (well more like off and on) for weeks now because she didn't aggressively take care of it right away. She has seen the doc once about it, but it is still hanging on, so she is going to need to go in again.
 
nerdgrrl A little thing like this is not usually something I would go to the doctor for, but at the moment it's important. I hope you get in some hiking this weekend. I'm bored, I just want to go out somewhere, anywhere, not the doctors! :)
 
Had my physio appointment today. He agreed with me to continue to use one crutch to avoid walking with a limp. I had to do a walking speed test, he counted how many steps I could do in so many seconds. I was a little bit slow, but it was (or felt like) a fast walk. It was really good to have some muscle strength testing done and he gave me new exercises to strengthen the muscles that are still protesting. I found out that when the 90 degree restrictions are lifted at six weeks that I cannot lift my knee to my chest immediately, which I had already guessed. But over the next few months I can gradually do this, and to be guided by how the hip feels. While doing this the best way is to turn the feet outwards as this puts the joint into the most stable position. Had lunch out at my favourite noodle bar.
 
Hi octopus I've got that restriction still in place as well, post 6 weeks. I have yet to work out how I do my toenails?

I took my family out for lunch yesterday to my favourite oriental buffet. I managed to master holding a plate and walking stick, and serving myself without dropping it all!
 
Hi octopus I've got that restriction still in place as well, post 6 weeks. I have yet to work out how I do my toenails?

I took my family out for lunch yesterday to my favourite oriental buffet. I managed to master holding a plate and walking stick, and serving myself without dropping it all!
Awesome! Funny the things that mean so much to us now, that we didn't even think about before. I'm looking forward to driving. I'm going to give it a go next Wednesday, six weeks & 1 day after surgery. I think the worst bit will be getting in low, and getting out again.
 
Firebrand, yep the toenails are annoying me, not being able to do them myself. I had to ask someone to do them for me, I felt uncomfortable asking. I think I'm going to go to a podiatrist to get a nice job done, depending how much they are, because they are used to doing them all the time.
 
I just about forgot - Week Five Update - has it really been five weeks?

Using one crutch, taking a few steps without, still a bit painful so I don't do very many, I don't want to be limping.
Occasional panadol.
Have developed new pain, from buttock to ankle, just when laying down on my good side. I've had to resort to a stronger painkiller at night to enable me to sleep.
On antibiotics for an infection in my toe.
Have arranged to return to work on the 18th part time for a week or so.
Rode my stationary bike for the first time since surgery, for 10 mins
Half hour beach walk
Moved home!
 
Firebrand, yep the toenails are annoying me, not being able to do them myself. I had to ask someone to do them for me, I felt uncomfortable asking. I think I'm going to go to a podiatrist to get a nice job done, depending how much they are, because they are used to doing them all the time.
My husband volunteered, but frankly, I really don't want him to have to be doing that for me. From what I've read on here pedicures can be a little problematic due to infection risks, but anyway, I only want the nails cut not a French manicure! I think that I will also need to find a local podiatrist in order to get it done well.

Good progress by the way octopus, you will be going from strength to strength with the walking. I was looking at the stationary bike this morning, but kept on walking past it...
 
octopus Sorry to hear about your infected toe but the antibiotics should sort you out Its wonderful that you have been walking on the lovely Auckland beach which must have been a real tonic for you Is the weather still ok down there Y
 
Kim22, yes the weather is still lovely & sunny for the most part. We've had a bit of rain and It's a bit cooler now, and temperatures can change suddenly. On Sunday I went to the doctors and it was warm and sunny, didn't need a jacket, came out, it was overcast and freezing.
 
Is it too late for the post op blues (5.5 weeks)? :boohoo:

I'm feeling really low and miserable. I've had a pretty good run until now, just had the odd glum day. I've started to face the real world again and look at other things apart from my recovery and I've got a bit overwhelmed with it all. It's been nice not having to think about tax returns, house repairs and all those other things I would prefer not to have to deal with, but have to because it's just me. I was hoping to get a lot of this done before I go back to work, but I don't think it's going to be possible because I'm struggling to deal with it all and feel miserable every day. I would say that the levels of vitamins and minerals in my body are a lot lower than pre surgery when I was taking supplements, so this can't be helping either. Now that I'm not on any medication except a few more days of antibiotics, I can probably start taking these again.

Thanks for listening.
 
Hi octopus. Sorry to hear you are feeling down. It's hard isn't it to go from being in a bubble where its all about focussing all of our energy on recovery and healing, to then having to adjust to re-entry into the world. And that world isn't all good. However, as you say, your body is only really just starting to get over a major operation, and it is still early days yet. I'm coming up to seven weeks post-op, and I can say it's only in the last couple of days that I am starting to feel remotely strong enough to tackle things like bills. Take each day as it comes, and try to give yourself a little treat to look forward to as well. Take care x
 
Hi octopus.
Hope the recovery is going well for you. I't's a whole new experience for me and a big learning curve. Lot's of good advice and support from this forum helps a lot. :tada:
 
Just saw your last post when my screen refreshed. It is a very hard process and when I leave this cocooned Rehab Centre next week I will know all about it too. It's quite surreal to be detached from :shrug: everyday life!
 
Thanks Firebrand, the bubble well and truly burst today. I'm feeling a bit better now having been out with my mum and aunt. I also had a good chat with my flatmate who helped me see that most of the things I'm worried about can wait, and that I have (all of us here have) had major surgery which is an assault not only on our body, but does affect our nervous system and emotions too. So I am putting aside all the things that are stressing me and am going to do some things I enjoy, starting with watching some tv and having a lovely afternoon sleep.

Hi Maeve, thanks for stopping by. I agree, it has been a surreal experience. I felt a bit stunned initially when I ventured out and about but this gradually wore off. I think you'll find by the time you leave rehab, you will be able to manage quite well. I just read your signature, you have been through a lot! I hope you have a smooth recovery.
 
So sorry it has been rough for you lately Diane. You asked about the blues...well, you're right, this is all part of that syndrome, for want of a better word. You are only a little over a month out, mine lasted on and off for about 10 weeks, including a very dark two weeks when overdoing PT set me back considerably. We are all different but throw in taxes (a GP pal says she sees lots of tax/stress related incidents in March/April) plus you being 'home alone' and exhausted: the fact that you feel somewhat glum isn't a bit surprising. In another few weeks things will look, and you will feel, considerably better. More energy, more mobility and more optimism to tackle the daily grind. Do take care of yourself, it's still early days in the scheme of things, Vicki
 
Funny how the Kiwis and western North Americans are often online at the same time! It can seem overwhelming when we start getting back to " real life". I am convinced that for me, part of that was not realizing how much fatigue I really had, physical and emotional. Life is a lot more overwhelming when you are in that state. Anyway, I'm glad your mom and flatmate were able to help. I have to agree with Vida, it is still early days. When I went to my 6 week follow up, I had a ton of " when will I be able to.." type questions. My surgeon kept giving me answers and then saying " it's still early days" . Take advantage of still having time off, and don't forget to ease back into work. That was when I had some more blues issues because I had such trouble focusing. On the other hand it was nice to get back to a routine.

Speaking of rest, off to bed for me! :zzz:
 
Hi octopus I'm glad that you have people around you who are able to help you break these things down into manageable pieces. Part of the problem of being at home so much is that the world starts to close in on us. (I actually found myself watching people going past the front of the house some days and wondering if I was going to turn into a curtain twitcher!) I am terrible at asking for help, and am usually the person that sorts things out for others, so this has been a learning curve in saying - even to myself - 'no, sorry, I can't do that'. I'm amazed by how much I can delegate at the moment, or put off. We are still in our recovery mode, so nobody expects us to be bouncing back just yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom